WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: S&W front sight refurb.

Boolit Master

S&W front sight refurb.

I have a S&W model 29 whose orange front sight insert could stand to be replaced, it's just not as bright as it once was.

I was wondering about buying a kit from Brownells (https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod22791.aspx) to redo the inlay.

Has anyone used this system, and how does it perform? How do you dam-up the site to refill the dovetail etc.?

I'm not an idiot (OK, that's debatable) but if I'd be better off to have a bonified "Smith" do this FOR me, I'd go that route.

Thanks for your input
    Bob

I used a similar kit to install new inserts in several firearms 30+ years ago. After I dovetailed the front sight, I C-clamped a couple small pieces of flat stock on either side of the sight blade to dam up the dovetail. After the mixture solidified, I removed the C-clamp and carefully dressed up the insert with a small file. After trying several colors, I decided I liked fluorescent yellow best.

That's pretty much how it's done. You can put some release compound on the dams to assure that nothing sticks. The kit from Brownell's comes with very complete instructions. Another option, used before the liquid kits became available, is to find a suitable piece of brightly colored plastic and use needle files to form a piece to closely fit the sight dovetail, then help it with a little super glue.

Boolit Grand Master

I made up a small parallel clamp for this 1/4" key stock for bars 8 32 threads one pushes one pulls. this style clamp is easier to use it doesn't twist the parts in setting up. I used gage stock for the side dams and coated them and the clamp with wax to release. 3 coats of wax cuffed out between coats. when cured and removed a nice smooth surface on the insert. In a pinch Ive used epoxy and dies for this. ( I have a selection of dies from a canoe repair kit). Red is a standard, yellow is liked by some, Had one guy that liked a medium green tint.

With a sharp scribe scribing a line .003-.006 deep down the center of the blade and just short of the edges makes for much improved durability by forming a mechanical lock for the filler. Clean and roughen surfaces good also.

Boolit Grand Master

It's plastic it darkens with age. I cut my own from plastic stock in blaze orange. I got a big piece years ago and I am still working on it. Otherwise just get a replacement from Brownell's You can do it yourself no problem.

I've done it both ways. With kit it's simple. The one think I would add is take a small drill bit it your fingers and
    clean the plastic out of the two holes that tits of bottom of sight fit into. Without these dove tail is all that holds
    plastic. Clean with acetone before adding mix. I use strips of plastic cut from containers for dam held with clamp. When taken down close to flush I polish it futher with crocus cloth and finish with tooth paste and rag.

Boolit Master
    I just use Acrylic Fingernail powder that you can buy in all different colors mixed with the Monomer liquid.
    Easy to use, shapes easily and dries very hard.
    I suspect that is the same stuff I used when I used the Lee Red ramp kits back in the 80s.
    Smells the same, works the same, and lasted forever.

Boolit Master

CK out Dawson Presision for a front sight for a 29 with a pinned in front sight ! you can select the width and height of the sight as well as ramped ,post , fiber optic gold bead ect

Boolit Master

I would call S&W. The have helped in the past for me.

Boolit Buddy

I recently picked up a Model 29 that needs the same thing. Be sure to watch Larry Potterfield’s (MidwayUSA) how to video on you tube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RZvGFHZxeE

Boolit Master
    Way back many years ago(about the day after Noah grounded the Ark)there was a great article in IIRC G&A about making the front sight a bit more visible by using inserts made from tooth brush handles.
    Had a friend help do the front sight on an S&W Hiway Patrolman 6".worked a treat.IIRC,we used a wee dab of AcraGlas to secure it.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I just use Acrylic Fingernail powder that you can buy in all different colors mixed with the Monomer liquid.
    Easy to use, shapes easily and dries very hard.
    I suspect that is the same stuff I used when I used the Lee Red ramp kits back in the 80s.
    Smells the same, works the same, and lasted forever.
    Where do you get this fingernail powder and Monomer liquid?

Boolit Master
    You can order it on line from Beauty supply places, or some local Beauty Supply stores could have what you need in stock.
    just Google " Acrylic Nail Powder " or "Acrylic Nail Supplies"
    But most local stores don't carry the full selection of the Bright colors that you may want.
    But they do on line.
    But I have had success with using some of the White powder that my wife had, and Tinted it with different colors like Orange Chalk Line Chalk.
    When my wife gets low on her supplies, she gives me the old powder and buys new stuff.
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-21-2019 at 12:08 PM.