Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Chicken fried venison steaks!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Chicken fried venison steaks!

First steaks of the year and I wanted to try something different. Found the receipie on line and mixed it up a little.

Did my normal soak in salt/vinegar brine then milk for a day or two each to drain out the blood and soften the meat. It still tasted like great venison and didn't loose all its "deer" taste like my meatloaf and lions did...Im guessing because the pieces were so thick.

I beat an egg to dip my steaks in. From the egg bath it went into a bowl full of flower mixed with salt and pepper, back into the egg, then back into the flower, back into the egg wash, and then for the last coat I rolled it in seasoned bread crumbs.

I heated up my cast iron pan and put a thin layer of virgin olive oil in it. I cooked the steaks approx 4 min per side. I cut one open and found they were still raw into the middle. No big shock since I read in the receipie to cut the steaks into 1/4" thick pieces so I put them in the oven at 300 degrees for 25 minutes to cook completely through.

The steaks were so tender I almost didn't need a knife to cut them. I would assume the vinegar and milk soak softened the steaks since I've never had one so tender.

I've eaten more venison in the last week than I did last year! I have 2lbs of burger thawing for round two of meatloaf and a whole rear quarter i just thawed out and aging in the fridge.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-05-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Boolit Master

OMG that looks sooooo good!

Banned

we do LOTS of chicken fried venison here. I probably put up a 100lbs of cube steaks every year. Good use for hind quarter meat. Probably 90 percent of my deer are butchered like this. I use back straps for the grill, football muscles for roasts. the other two big muscles on the hind quarters go to cube steaks and the rest of the deer goes to burger. Ive posted it before but probably my favorite meal is venison cube steaks chicken fried and some fried potatores with lots of onion. Put the cube steak on top of the potatoes and pour sausage gravy over the whole mess. Meal fit for a king!

Boolit Master

Same here only I dont do much hamberger. Mostly breakfast Sausage.

My cardiologist dont like it, but CFS is a favorite!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    we do LOTS of chicken fried venison here. I probably put up a 100lbs of cube steaks every year. Good use for hind quarter meat. Probably 90 percent of my deer are butchered like this. I use back straps for the grill, football muscles for roasts. the other two big muscles on the hind quarters go to cube steaks and the rest of the deer goes to burger. Ive posted it before but probably my favorite meal is venison cube steaks chicken fried and some fried potatores with lots of onion. Put the cube steak on top of the potatoes and pour sausage gravy over the whole mess. Meal fit for a king!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Wow! That sounds delicious! Looks fantastic too. Now breakfast is just going to fall short today!

Boolit Master

Nice, but you sure would benefit from learning to make biscuits and pan gravy!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Fresh chicken fried backstrap is my wife's favorite venison dish. With mashed taters and cream gravy of course.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I tried making gravy and got an “F” the other day. Tasted nasty. Had no cream so I used milk with the left over grease, pieces of bacon, fried onions, and flour. Tasted bland and almost gritty texture.

Boolit Master

Tbeards, a few pointers on gravy and such.....Yes, slice your meat thinner, 3/8" or so. Use more oil to fry, about halfway up meat in pan, vefetable oil will do. Oil temp needs to be about medium high, not smoking, just so you get aggresive sizzle when you drop a small test piece in. Turn meat once after a nice crust forms and about same on other side. Remove and drain meat on rack while you cook another batch. After meat done pour all but about 2 Tablespoons of oil, leaving crusty bits in pan. Return to heat and add a couple tablespoons flour to drippings, stirring constantly until flour browns nicely. If it clumps add a tiny bit of water at the time, whisking until it becomes smooth. Lower heat, add a few sliced onions and simmer until done, adding a little water as necessary until onions tender. Taste for seasoning. Now you can add crispy meat back to gravy and simmer until dead tender or ladle gravy over meat and mashed potatoes or rice. It's really easy just takes a little patience to get right....my tendency is to hurry up browning the flour. The grittyness you experienced is too much flour cooked too quick to allow flour to cook thouroughly. It takes a little time, like allowing your mold to get to temp before you cast.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Only one problem with that,it is missing cream gravy!!

Moderator Emeritus

You can do a "Napolitano" by adding flavored tomato sauce on it, mozarella cheese and enough time under the broiler to melt it. I just add Italian seasoning to the tomato sauce.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    My wife makes great cream gravy, just had it last week. This thread is making me hungry. LOL

We do a variation of that. Put some flour, curry powder, garlic powder, and red pepper on a cutting board. Lay your venison steak on there and work it over with the edge of a small dinner plate or large saucer, turning and pounding until you break up the fibers and work the seasoned flour into the meat well. Fry fast and hot. Serve immediately.

As for gravy, I always put up some sausage in bulk for that purpose. Brown it, then take it out of the skillet and add enough bacon grease to make about a quarter cup. Add a similar amount of flour, and stir until it starts to brown. Keep adding milk a little at a time, stirring until it thickens. Anywhere from a pint to a quart usually does it. Then add the browned sausage back and eat like a king.

Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    We do a variation of that. Put some flour, curry powder, garlic powder, and red pepper on a cutting board. Lay your venison steak on there and work it over with the edge of a small dinner plate or large saucer, turning and pounding until you break up the fibers and work the seasoned flour into the meat well. Fry fast and hot. Serve immediately.

As for gravy, I always put up some sausage in bulk for that purpose. Brown it, then take it out of the skillet and add enough bacon grease to make about a quarter cup. Add a similar amount of flour, and stir until it starts to brown. Keep adding milk a little at a time, stirring until it thickens. Anywhere from a pint to a quart usually does it. Then add the browned sausage back and eat like a king.
    Thanks for advice, I've tried it and it is fantastic!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Try cooking the meat via Sous Vede for a couple of hours at 128F. Then slice, bread, and fry like you normally do.
    East Tennessee