Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 lever gun

Boolit Buddy

Smile a while back got a rd175g mold,

been tumblelubing, then run it through the lubrisizer when I put the check on, run it in a marlin and a rossi, and load it on the warm side, shoots good,
    best one of the month,

about unique and IMR unequal, They really did duplicate it, made it equally unobtainable

Boolit Master
    I have 2 .357 Rossi rifles, one 16", one 20", both stainless. I have the Lee 125 and 158 molds and the RD 175. I tumble lube in 45-45-10 prior to pushing them through a Lee .359 sizer, then I tumble lube them again. The first two shoot well roll crimped in the crimp groove. I like the latter boolit loaded about 10% below max of H110/Win 296. One rifle functions just fine with the brass roll crimped in the crimp groove, the other only works if I crimp just forward of the groove on the ogive. Either way shoots fine in my 4" and 5" 8-shot Smith 627s. Both rifles have 2X scout scopes and shoot well with all three boolits at 100 yards, which my longest range available on DNR ranges. Clay birds always die and a good many golf balls, too. I'm looking for a good convection oven at a Wally World sale to try powder coating. GF

Boolit Master

The GC concept was developed for hotter loads. I have found that some firearms benefit from the GC, but seem indifferent. The benefit of the GC is not just to reduce leading, but it often improves accuracy even in loads that are not leading. Casting is an adventure.

Boolit Grand Master

I do not and I run max loads of H110. The molds are plain base. I have gas check molds but I have the same designs in plain base and use them. Haven’t found a reason yet to use gas checks w/ a 357 load.

Thanks for the input. Sense I don't have a GC mold and I do power coat I think I will just go plain base. I think I will run about 30 or 40 jacketed through it before the cast. I have a 156 gr and a 125 gr mold I also have a 180 gr that my 357 Max uses. That should get me started.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    For heavy loads , yes , but for middle of the road stuff it can mean the difference of excellent accuracy or just average .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy

I don't know if you're loading for max velocity or ??? Check the online Hodgdon load data for Lil Gun powder. It will give max velocities with greatly reduced pressure. I called the Hodgdon tech support folks and confirmed that the data was correct.

I'd probably use gas checks with Lil Gun, or for any max loads.

Boolit Buddy
    How do those Lee RF feed in leverguns, thinking of trying the 125 gr in my win 94

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Badwolf, the Lee 125 feeds like a dream in my Marlin 1894. My carbine is a 1981 model with micro groove and it loves this boolit and the Lee 358-158-FP. I size them to .360, so basically just adding lube and knocking down any bits of out of round. Best load I have ever tried is the 125 over 7.2 grains of the dearly departed IMR SR4756. Bona fide one hole group load at 50 yards, unfortunately my shaky hands usually don't let that happen. When my 4756 runs out I'm going to try some others, probably HS-6 and Blue Dot.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since I only plink with mine, I use PB bullets to keep costs down and speed production.

I bought a PB GC maker in case I ever want to increase the velocity but have not had the need or desire to do so yet. But that was before PC really got established. I would go the PC route if starting over. It is unlikely I would ever purchase a GC bullet design as it would get so little use. With PC, you can use the same bullet uncoated for mild loads and PC IF needed...and it may not be needed.

158gr will max out at about 1700 FPS Three coats of BLL should work at that velocity without a GC

My most used bullets are lubed PB 125 or 130 gr. for cheap plinking. They can be pushed to about 2000 FPS out of a carbine, but have not tried them yet. Almost positive I will use PB GC's on them.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    I use PB boolits up to about 1600fps and PC boolits if I am going above that.

Boolit Master

For loads under 1,100 fps plane base or with no gas ck installed .

for 1,400 to 1,800 fps gas checked lead alloy bullets.

I used to use Pat Marlins PB gas check on my 357 Marlin cowboy, back when I was still lubing bullets. It did improve accuracy a touch, and kept the bore a little cleaner.
    These days I Hi-Tek coat and no longer see a need to gas check either for accuracy, or cleaning the bore.
    For years I have used a 180 gr bullet doing 1650 fps and I got no leading with the gas check. That said, I also got very little leading before I used the gas check, due to using a good alloy and the right sized bullet for my bore.
    I might be wrong, but in a pistol caliber where you are only getting low velocities (under 2000 fps)I think a gas check only cures the symptoms of a problem, why not cure the problem.
    Last edited by gundownunder; 02-25-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Master
    I agree with gundownunder, HI-TEK does tend to make the use of gas checks unnecessary in most cases, I drive 158gr Lee R/F at 2200fps in my 357 max rifle with outstanding accuracy, I have not checked velocity of 357 mag in same rifle but they were hot loads not for use in a pistol. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    I have an early Rossi .357 Trapper with a receiver sight added by a previous owner. That short rifle prefers the Lyman 358156 GC boolit above all others I have tried in it, and I have tried most of the patterns I own. Don't have access to the load data from my testing at this moment but I recall the rifle preferred faster speeds over slower speeds to get the tightest groups.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    Depends, If it is a gas check boolit, I put one on and drive it hard. If not, I don't.
    I do the same also for my Rossi 357 and also 38spl.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    No gas checks. Lee 358-158 RN tumble lube over 5.5 grains Unique. Ruger Vaquero Six shooter and Rossi R92. I tried 6 grains of Unique but the shells expanded enough to make extraction difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    How do those Lee RF feed in leverguns, thinking of trying the 125 gr in my win 94
    My Rossi will jam with them, about the only bullet that does not work well. The 158 grain is almost a wad cutter with a crimp groove to permit it to extend beyond the case. As I have other molds that work well I have not messed around trying to modify the rifle.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Mt Rossi R92 in .45 Colt feeds just fine with the LEE 452-200 RNFP.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Stephen Cohen; I hope to try the Lyman and the RCBS 180gr and 200gr when I get the chance as I believe in heavy for calibre with cast except my 458wm which loves all weights. Regards Stephen[/QUOTE]

The Rossi has a twist rate of 1 in 30". It will not stabilize 180 and 200 grain bullets. The Henry has 1 in 16" and Miroku/Win 1892 has 1 in 18.25" twist. They will stabilize the heavier bullets.
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12