Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Any Marlin M93 experts?

Boolit Master

Any Marlin M93 experts?

A friend of mine just picked up an "old" rifle as part payment for a roofing job. 4 digit Marlin M93, with an R suffix, and a star cartouche stamped "JM" in a circle, (inspector?). How do I found out how old this is? Marlin serial numbers seem to be all over the place. And, assuming that it is generally safe for Sammi smokeless loads, anything in particular I should look at in detail before cleaning it up and firing it?

you sure its not just a 5th number that is deformed and looks like an R . My 93's just have numbers.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    Picture he sent shows four digits on the left side of the tang (under the stock) followed by an R. Same four digits visible on the tang, but no R there.

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post

A friend of mine just picked up an "old" rifle as part payment for a roofing job.

4 digit Marlin M93, with an R suffix, and a star cartouche stamped "JM" in a circle, (inspector?).

How do I found out how old this is?

No Marlin Model '93's are known to have a 6 digit serial number - They usually have a 4 digit number, or a letter prefix, along with the 4 digit number.

During WWI, the Model 1893's had letter SN prefixes (A,B,C,D), but never a letter suffix.

After WW I ended and the new Marlin Firearms Corporation took over, the serial numbers were moved back under the lever from near the forearm, and around 1920 the model designation was changed to "Marlin Mod. '93". (The serial numbers may or may not have a letter prefix.)

If your Model 93 truly has a letter suffix, then it was added after it left the factory (BATF ?)

A Model 93 with a 4-digit SN was most likely made about 1920-21.

A Model 93 with a 5-digit SN was most likely made about 1924-25.

In the Brophy book ( published in 1989), the model designation change was thought to have occurred in 1905, but a lot of new information has come to light with other people researching for information since that book was printed.

If the barrel is marked "Special Smokeless Steel" and in good clean condition , properly installed and head spaced, it is capable of shooting modern ammunition loaded to normal pressures.

Last edited by pietro; 02-05-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

M93 ser #

This is the picture he sent me. Looks like a four digit number with an "R" stamped after it. Seems like an odd spot for the serial number?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jesse's Marlin serial number.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	235453

Boolit Buddy
    That is a partial (or maybe complete) serial number that was used during manufacture to keep fitted parts together...

As Pietro pointed out, the actual serial number will be on the bottom, either near the forend, or more likely (on a '93') under the lever on the bottom tang...

I have no idea what the 'R' means...

Go over to Marlinowners. Some true experts including some former Marlin employees.