Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: 410 sizing die

410 sizing die

Was wondering if anyone made a push thru die to resize the brass base of 410 hulls. Don’t shoot many and have seen many videos and articles about loading without a press. Saw one where the brass was resized by pushing through an appropriately sized washer. Thought that a die in a single stage press would be much easier and effective. I wish Lee still made their whack a mole for 410. Any suggestions ? Don’t really want to spend hundreds on tools for a box or two a year and hate getting gouged $15+ a box for a few pellets and a couple grains of powder. Would think that a talented person with a lathe could turn out something very reasonable.

Boolit Grand Master

What is the OD of the case? Maybe a handgun sizer like a 45 colt will work?

.470 is what I found online. Not able to measure one now.

410 sizing die

Hey Shawlerbrook
    A Lyman 45 acp sizer die, with the decapping rod removed, does an excellent job. Having the correct seat to fit the 410 hull is another thing. HTH.
    Roy
    Last edited by gunarea; 02-05-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: correction
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master
    The 410 is like most shells with a shouldered base so a push thru would not work. I recently got a MEC Shotgun reloader and I'm getting learned up on shotshell reloading. in the first stage the shell is run up thru a appropriately sized sizing hole (I can see how a washer could work) and primer removed, on the upstoke of the press the press forces the shell out of the sizer and ready for priming in the next station.

Boolit Master

YUP gunarea is on target

45 ACP carbide sizer with decapping stem out and 410 shell holder (444 Marlin perhaps)
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Read somewhere else where a Lee fcd 45 acp with the guts removed would also work. Guess I’ll do a little McGyvering.
    Last edited by Shawlerbrook; 02-05-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    .444 marlin.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

I found the 7mm mag shell plate for a dillon 550 works great on 410 hulls. I now resize 410s with a mec jr, maybe you can find a used one.

BB

Boolit Master

I have a lot of stuff but do not have any dies that are long enough to size 410's. That said, I'm a guy who used a washer to resize the base for several years. I just searched until I found one that was close then reamed it a little with emory paper and a dowel until it was a smooth fit. Now I use a 410 size ring from MEC about the same way I used the washer. I'm sure you can figure a way. I use a press and most any will work but IMO you do not use a shellholder as the hull needs to be pushed to the rim into the size ring. And yes, MEC will sell you any part you want for any (or most) of their reloaders. I've expounded on this here and on other forums but it's been a while. If anyone wants more info on what I do perhaps a search would result in something or post here and I'll answer. At one time I had a document with photos. Mebe I could find it/ Regards,
    Take a kid along