Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Herco in 45 acp

Boolit Buddy

Herco in 45 acp

I'd like to try Herco in my 45s with a 230 lrn boolit. Alliant has no data; any recommendations?
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Master
    From the Alliant website:
    45 Auto 230 gr Speer LRN Speer OAL =1.27 5.0 CCI 300 Herco 6.4 Max. 845

Source: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...6&cartridge=35

From the castpics.net website(by powder):

AL Herco 45 ACP 230 230 L (Target) 5.2 Max. 815 OAL=1.19 13600 Alliant

Source: http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...okup-by-powder

You may want to go look at the sources to verify for yourself, as well as bookmark them both.

Note the OAL are different.

Start low (- 10%) and work up the load, would be my suggestion.

G'Luck! & be safe!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I have a PDF file of an Alliant manual from 2001 that has many listing for powders not found on the manufacturers website currently. It has listings for Herco as well as several other powders.
    PM me with your email and I can send it to you. 1 megabyte file.
    I got it from the Castpics website a few years ago. They no longer have the older manuals available there.

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

^ Another worth writing down or bookmarking.^
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

JBs max load of 5.2gr.@ 1.19 is what is listed in my 2005 Alliant Powder Guide for the lead 230 RN. Good shooting. Gp

Boolit Master

The Speer Number 12 Manual
    260 grain Speer JHP
    Herco powder
    Starting load: 6.3 grains / 775 fps
    Max load: 6.9 grains / 847 fps
    A few years ago I loaded the LEE 255 grain rnfp, for some heavy 45 acp loads.
    I Chrony'd these loads with 6.8 grains of Herco at 917 fps average 10 shots.
    The 260 grain JHP .listed is .680 in length.
    The LEE 255 grain rnfp, is .600 in length.
    So, in maintaining the C.O.L of 1.200 ( which the book states) the load with the LEE 255 grain, has .080 more room between the base of the bullet, and the top of the powder charge. So, you don't have to be concerned about a pressure spike from bullet length.
    I did call Speer, and ask if the data printed was correct, and not a misprint. The technician assured me that the data was correct.
    I use Herco in my 45 Colt cartridge. It meters better for me than Unique. It fills the case with more volume. Gives good velocities, and burns clean. I also use Herco in my .41 magnum, for plinking / medium heavy loads. It works great.
    I also use it in my 12 ga. slug loads. A very versatile powder.
    Regards.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all! I'm happy with my 800x loads. but I got a deal on the Herco and wanted to try it.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Master
    Herco works well in the .45 ACP and most other handgun cartridges. Data should be available in older load manuals. Herco doesn't enjoy the popularity it once did for some reason and many newer handloaders have probably never heard of it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    The Speer Number 12 Manual
    260 grain Speer JHP
    Herco powder
    Starting load: 6.3 grains / 775 fps
    Max load: 6.9 grains / 847 fps
    A few years ago I loaded the LEE 255 grain rnfp, for some heavy 45 acp loads.
    I Chrony'd these loads with 6.8 grains of Herco at 917 fps average 10 shots.
    The 260 grain JHP .listed is .680 in length.
    The LEE 255 grain rnfp, is .600 in length.
    So, in maintaining the C.O.L of 1.200 ( which the book states) the load with the LEE 255 grain, has .080 more room between the base of the bullet, and the top of the powder charge. So, you don't have to be concerned about a pressure spike from bullet length.
    I did call Speer, and ask if the data printed was correct, and not a misprint. The technician assured me that the data was correct.
    I use Herco in my 45 Colt cartridge. It meters better for me than Unique. It fills the case with more volume. Gives good velocities, and burns clean. I also use Herco in my .41 magnum, for plinking / medium heavy loads. It works great.
    I also use it in my 12 ga. slug loads. A very versatile powder.
    Regards.
    Thanx, I can use this.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Years ago, I traded for som 45 caliber, 260 grain rnfp cast boolits. These slugs are two groove, with three driving bands and are .700 in length. Only the bottom groove was lubed, and they were sized to .454. A few weeks ago, I sized some to .452, and lubed the top groove. I loaded two different powder weights with Herco powder. The starting load being 6.0 grains, and the other being 6.8 grains of Herco. This heavy powder charge is given in the Speer #12 manual, using the Speer 260 grain jhp. The bullet length being .680, and a seated COL of 1.200. I had not shot any of the jhp loads with that particular load. As stated in another post, I was using the Lee 452-255 rf. These particular slugs, are imho, the best slug in that particular weight range for a heavy 45 acp load. The slugs are as short as one could use without turning to a full wad cutter style, and we already know the down side to those feeding in the 1911. The Lee slug feeds very well in my 1911. Repeating again, the Lee slug being seated to a COL of 1.200, the same as the Speer 260 grain jhp.
    With all that being said, and my latest slug trial, I was quickly going to learn a valuable lesson on bullet depth and air space. The latest slug seated just down onto the 6.0 grain powder charge with little to no air space. The COL was 1.235. This coal puts the case mouth half way up the top driving band for a good taper crimp. With the heavier load of 6.8 grains of Herco, the .700 long bullet compressed the powder charge.
    Short range session:
    Firing 10 shots through to CE ProChrono chronograph revealed these results. Average velocity, 879 fps. ES, 32 and a SD of 8. Heavy recoil, with brass dropping back and to the right 12-15 feet. I didn't even entertain the idea of shooting the 6.8 grain loads. I brought them back home, and dismantled them. I have loaded another batch, with 5.6 grains of Herco powder. I'm sure the lack of air space was the reason for the pressure spike and high velocities. These slugs fed flawlessly in my Taurus PT1911. After I finally get finished with the R&D with these slugs, I will go back to the reliable Lee 452-255 rf slugs, for another option for a woods carry. Compared to the longer rnfp slug at .700 in length, the .100 extra air space provided by the shorter Lee .600 slug is a definite safety margin.
    Last edited by littlejack; 06-06-2021 at 07:53 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

I have at least 3 pounds of Herco, used it for years in my 32 Mag, 38 and 45 ACP. IIRC I used 5.0g and a 230gr LRN. Made metal ring and no one complained.

Boolit Master

That 5.0 grain load of Herco, might not burn to clean in the 45 acp. Herco performs better at higher pressures. But, if you're ok with it, I certainly am. Thanks for the input.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.