Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a 98 Mauser, Commercial 30/06 and man is it a shooter.

Boolit Master

Bought a 98 Mauser, Commercial 30/06 and man is it a shooter.

Was perusing classifieds on another website, when I see the ad come up, Fs 98 Commercial mauser, with synthetic stock. I texted the guy and he sent me photos about 2 hours later, and dropped his asking price from $400 t0 $250 shipped. I next day mailed him a USPS MO, as he was in a hurry, 3 days later it was at my lgs waiting to be picked up. It was a early 4 digit MK X Whitworth with adjustable trigger, which was set at 2 pounds, crisp! It was nestled in a Hogue Green full bedding block stock, with a great pad on it and a olive drab Karston adjustable cheekpiece, Talley one piece base and rings along with a Nikon 3x9x40, which he had taken off and padded really well in the gun box. The gun had been skim bedded on top of the block.I opted to put on a Redfield 4x12x40 with duplex reticle, a little better glass and I had one laying around. The previous owner had told me there was a couple of pits in the barrel about an inch ahead of the chamber, and upon inspection, it was copper fouling, really bad, looked like it had never been cleaned with anything other than a oily patch. I sprayed some foaming copper remover into the barrel, waited till it had dissolved, and started running patches of Barnes copper remover thru the barrel, and at 50 it was still coming out blue. I did the foaming stuff 2x more, and between times went with the Barnes stuff, and after 3 hours of cleaning I was rewarded with a bright shiny bore, with no wear on the lands or grooves as I could tell. It also has a drop out floorplate that opens with a hinge in the front of the trigger guard bow. The bluing is great, except for a little wear around the muzzle, and has a slightly recessed muzzle. I put on the Redfield, and stoked it with some Winchester 168gr sp's I found on sale at wally world for $15 and tax. It took only 7 rounds to get it zeroed and then shot a 3 shot group at 100yds that went into .700, two inches high. the gun could probably shoot better than that, but the lightweight 06 was pushing me around quite a bit, though not painful due to the great pad on the stock. I sold the Nikon for $100 to a guy, which was what I had given for the gently used Redfield, so I am into a shooter for $250, cant wait to see how it does with some Lee 170 gr cast bullets. I can send pics to someone who can post them!
    Last edited by koger; 01-30-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Boolit Master

Those Mark X Whitworths were excellent rifle, well worth the money they brought. I saw a brand new in the box one at a gun show for $300.00 and was dealing the guy to buy it when my wife got really sick and we had to leave and get her some doctoring. Next day I went back to see if the gun was still there but the guy and his booth were empty. Must have sold everything and went home early. It to was a 30-06, my favorite caliber. Haven't seen one around here in over 20 years now. You did well my friend. Now go buy a lottery ticket, you are on a roll.

A great deal that would have been amazing if the original stock was still on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yep, those original stocks went from great to amazing. To be honest, I think the rifle is more shootable, in the current stock.

Boolit Bub
    Nice pick up

Those rifles are my screen name sake.

I have several and one configuration is in the same stock as yours.

All of mine have been shooters.

Enjoy!!!

Boolit Master
    I'm an Interarms Mark X fan as well, and the Whitworths are a little nicer than the "regular" Marks. Also like the walnut better than synthetic, but I mostly just look at them anyway.......

Boolit Master

nICE!

I also like my Mausers allot!

I picked up a MarkX last year as a doner action to make a 358 Norma mag I have wanted for years... it is a 7mag now and ****ed if it isn't a shooter.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I had one of the camo-painted Mark X's with synthetic stock and matching camo scope in 30-06, and it too was a heck a shooter, but I just couldn't live with the camo and the synthetic stock.

Last year, I found a nice Mark X barreled action in 7x57 with a 24" barrel. I had a nice LH semi-inletted blank that I planned to stock it with, but too many projects caused me to buy a fully-inletted stock from Brownells. I'm pretty happy with how it has gone so far, but still need to do some minor inletting, shaping and finishing.
    There won't be any decent shooting weather around here until April anyway!

Koger's new rifle. Very nice! Very accurate!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Cw, I did the same. Used a 7mm rem mag as the donor for a 338 w douglas barrel and B&C medalist stock.

Still have a beat up 06 to use as a donor. It was originally going to be a 25-06 but too many projects

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by markX View Post
    Cw, I did the same. Used a 7mm rem mag as the donor for a 338 w douglas barrel and B&C medalist stock.

Still have a beat up 06 to use as a donor. It was originally going to be a 25-06 but too many projects

I have found about 9-10 boxes of NORMA 358 Norma brass... Lyman Dies and now the action.

I have also Spoken to my smith who will do the parts I cannot. He is thinking March. Just moved and had the lathe installed and set up. Has a back log of work because of the move. So I have time to get the barrel and stock...

I have another 1909 in the safe I started ten years back for my wife. Was undecided between a 6.5x55 & 257 Roberts. I decided on the Bob and sold off the Sweede brass... Now wish I hadn't, prefer the Sweede but its 6 vs Half dozen I guess. Both good lo recoil performance. I'll probably also grab a short chambered Shillen BBl and let him install and chamber that too.

CW

Attachment 235632Attachment 235633
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    nICE!

I also like my Mausers allot!

I picked up a MarkX last year as a doner action to make a 358 Norma mag I have wanted for years... it is a 7mag now and ****ed if it isn't a shooter.

CW
    That sounds familiar. I bought an F N Mauser 30-06 with Ward's stamped on the barrel, one of Montgomery Wards, no doubt. I intended to use it for a donor to build a 35 Whelen but it shoots just about anything I've loaded into an inch and now I just can't bring myself to rebarrel it. The rifle had the most hideous cheek piece, WAY too forward on the comb, you can imagine. It's gone now and the old girl has endeared herself to my son so I think we will just let her alone. Besides, we need to practice our "sneaking a new gun into the house without mother seeing it" skills, so we are on the lookout for another one. I'll probably not find another one for $125 though!

Koger, that rifle of yours is a shooter for sure. You certainly got your $'s worth!

P.S. note where they mounted the rear sight!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Murf 205, I have a FN Actioned JC Higgins, with the same sight set up, still has the scope mt holes plugged with original screws. and has a pachmayer pad, and a curly French walnut stock on it, made in 1950, mint condition, unfired. I just cant bring myself to shoot it, but it sure is a looker. I may sell that one and keep the Mk X since it is a shooter. Not a big 30/06 fan, not that I don't like them, and have built over 20 on mauser actions that were all shooters, I am just recoil sensitive in my older years. When I shot this one, it did not hurt due to a really nice pad on it, just moved me around some. I am getting ready to load some 170 lee GC's with 15grs of unique behind it and see how that does, should be a sweet heart on recoil and a pretty good shooter too. Somone mentioned the 6.5x55 swede, I have built custom rifles in that caliber over 100 so far, and that is my number one go to rifle for 500 yds and under hunting, which is anything I will do here in KY! I have also built several 6.5 swedes on Savages and with good brass such as Lapua and Norma, you can outrun the 6.5 cm and the .260 all day long, with a whole lot less pressure.

Boolit Master
    This one is a commercial FN action, it began life as a Colt Model 57 in 243 Winchester, couldn't get it to shoot to my satisfaction and was change to a 7mm-08 with a Douglas Air gauge. A friend who did stock work for a living replaced the plastic grip cap and forend with Goncolo Alves and recut the checkering, sort of an homage to the early sporters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2110063.JPG   P2110064.JPG  
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Brought back three Mausers from being stationed in Germany '89-'91. One is a "Stutzen" with double set triggers. CZ. In 308 Winchester. Stock goes all the way to the 'shorty' barrel end.

Other two were 'kits' were Santa Barbara, from Spain. One in .270 Winchester, the other in 7mm Rem Magnum. They were 'in-the-white'. And remarkably identical to the CZ Stutzen.

Was told that the CZ was an Interarms Mk X Not sure if that's true?

Ray

Boolit Buddy
    Good work. I would have run the other way seeing a drastic price cut, postal MO, and 'in a hurry' in the same sentence - glad it worked out so well.

Koger, I certainly sympathize with the recoil sensitive part. I just finished my 358 Norma when I had to have a reverse shoulder replacement. 250 gr Noslers Partitions @ 2800 fps will let you rethink the need for all that power but the rifle is a good shooter, so I guess I got my satisfaction. It is a LOT more comfortable with 220 gr cast boolits @ 1950 fps.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Murf,
    Do you have a thread on your Norma?

I have begun my build. I have wanted one for over ten years...

I would love to read about the 358NM build!

CW

Attachment 235858No formal thread but I'll tell the abbreviated saga. It's a Ruger 77 tang safety that was born a 7mm mag. I took the barrel off and sent it to Douglas where they duplicate tapered a 23 " barrel. A good friend, Graham Bostick, screwed it on and headspaced it for 350 Rem. I couldn't get the speed I wanted so I had Jimmy McCollough run a 358 Norma reamer in it and presto, a hardenkicken loudenboomer. It was a lot cheaper than opening the bolt face and action rails on a 98. Been there with my 308 Norma and getting it to feed properly took a while. I happen to be a tang safety Ruger fan but there are a kazillion Rem 700 Wally World 7mags out there and I have seen them sell for $300. Throw the stock away and get a Boyd's. Get in touch with JES @ JES Reboring and you might have enough "meat" at the muzzle to have him do a rebore. His work is very good.
    Enclosed is a pic of an inert round with a 250 Nosler Partition seated to be about .030 off the lands. With a 700 action you will have more room than this.
    Last edited by murf205; 02-12-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Attachment 235884Attachment 235867Attachment 235866Attachment 235863Attachment 235865 Here is how the barrel looks on the finished rifle. Web page is giving me problems posting the other pics.
    Last edited by murf205; 02-12-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast