Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 416 Ruger

Boolit Grand Master

416 Ruger

I'm about to be the proud new owner of a used M77 in 416 Ruger. I've always wanted a large bore and was planning on a 375 H&H or 458 Win but the used was a good price and my tax refund is burning a hole in my pocket. Anyone load for it and more importantly, cast?

I read a few threads but they are several years old. I'm interested in alloy, reduced loads etc as I don't plan on many full house. I have several pounds of Trailboss that I think I'll start with to get used to it. I also have a number of pounds of surplus 20mm powder from Jeff.
    I'm also interested in if someone has necked up 375 Ruger brass for it. I was planning on annealing the brass as it is $45/50pcs.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I can buy 416 brass but if it's scarce I would like a backup as in necking up 375.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Jonp - you would be better buying the.416 brass while it is available. Have gon through the steps, making 7.5 Schmidt-Rubin out of .284 Winchester, and .303 Savage out of .30-30, and .375 Winchester out of .30-30, when the desired brass could not be bought. 100 rounds is probably a lifetime supply.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Bub
    I would reconsider and look at the .375 Ruger. Same case, but you have bullet weights from 235gr to 350gr. Flatter shooting, bullets are cheaper....

If you want a real performer, ditch the .416 barrel and go .338/375 Ruger. That is a real longrange performer or close-in stopper.
    The .375 bore probably superior for use w/cast boolits though...

ETA... Have you priced new .375 H&H brass? Not like theree are many .416 factory bullets for cheap either. How much powder per load?
    Magnum ctgs of this size aren't the best for mild loadings. The Speer 235gr is an affordable bullet; or maybe it's Hornady? Much more selection in .375cal. and cheaper.
    BTW, about $75 per 50 for H&H brass...

Boolit Master
    I like the Idea of a 416 Ruger. Nothing like pulling the trigger on excitement! Besides larger bore rifles do well with lead.

This guy didn't ask for advice on which caliber. He wants info on the 416 Ruger.......