Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Trading a couple of rifles for M1A help

Trading a couple of rifles for M1A help

So I'm heading in this morning to downsize my herd. Now before you all start gouging me my living situation has changed I have moved into a completely mobile platform AKA my wife and I are in a 35ft fifth wheel. As it turns out it's working so well that we are going to continue to live like this for at least the next five years. It's nice having the option when we have time off to pull anchor and go where we want taking our house with us. One problem I have is my collection of firearms and all the equipment that goes with them (it's heavy) and I'm fighting my unwillingness to give them up but I have to to make it's simpler as well as allow me to take my rifles as well as my reloading equipment with us. My wife is saying that this is completely voluntary. And it is!
    My only question to you after that long pointless rambling above is this, would you give up a Swiss k-31 or a 186 series ss Ruger mini-14 to fund an M1A.
    Out of the 5 optional guns I'm giving up there the only two that I'm having a hard time choosing to give up.
    Well my Martini-henry Mark lV is the hardest but I don't shoot it much and at the end of the day I simply do not like the sights on it! And I refuse to modify so I am willing to let it go to somebody else that will enjoy it more than I will. Not to mention it literally takes a workshop to form brass as well as big butt load of lead to feed. I feel the 1874 Quigley in 45-120 fills that niche on its own just fine. That rifle is going nowhere! Anyway just looking for your thoughts guys.
    Last edited by Desertbuck; 02-04-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    THE GUN
    The gun has been praised.
    The gun has been denounced.
    The gun has played a critical role in History.
    The gun has been implemented for good.
    The gun has been abused for evil.
    With the gun comes a great moral responsibility!
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

The two you mentioned for an M1A? I have no problem with that line of reasoning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The good thing about selling a K31 is that they never made any corrosive ammo for them. That means if the itch comes again - you can buy another one with a fairly low risk of a ruined barrel.

Ruger Mini 14's do have ruined barrels from time to time from people shooting the weird corrosive 7.62x39 surplus or mystery white box ammo in them... It's not as common now as it was 10 years ago.... But it still happens.... Especially when people were dragging the bottom during the recesssion for any ammo they could lay their hands on.

But you still run the same risk with 30-06's and even 1911's.

I wouldn't worry too much about parting with those except for the price you may have to pay to replace then. .

Dump the Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by 55fairlane View Post
    Dump the Ruger
    That's where I'm at.
    Whatever the Mini-14 can do---- the M1A can do better.

I shoot that 'do everything' RCBS round nose that's been around since Jesus was a Corporal in mine.
    For short range stuff, its great.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-04-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    Another vote for selling off the Ruger. I like the Mini-14 but there are lots of them out there.

I have never fired what I consider an accurate mini 30. The K-31 on the other hand is probably one of the most accurate bolt-action service rifles ever. As mentioned the M1A will run like the mini 30 but shoot more like the the K31.
    What else are you going to carry in your RV?
    Last edited by Texas by God; 02-04-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Banned
    I would have ZERO problems with selling off a Ruger Mini-14.

The K-31 is a nice rifle but I'm not sure I would be wedded to one.

A M1A is an excellent rifle and a worthy one to acquire.

As a side note, make sure that trailer has some very secure storage for your valuable property.

Boolit Master

What do you want it for? What is your plan for feeding it? Cast or jacketed?

Thanks for the encouragement everyone I went in with confidence knowing that I was going to get a really good rifle out of it so I wasn't going to be out much or so I thought. After going to three different places including Cabela's which gave me the best price but still not what I would consider a fair price. Something about we ain't going to be able to sell this for a very long time blah blah blah there's no market for black powder rifles. I was tempted to point out the sad looking trapdoor 1873 Springfield they had sitting out there for $1,400 but I kept my mouth shut. They were only willing to give me $600 for a functioning Martini-Henry Mark IV with a Wilkinson sword bayonet! It has no wood rot, shiny barrel very good rifling extremely strong striker as well as a good finish. They said we need to make at least a third of the profit. They weren't fooling me they were going to get it for $600 and put it on their shelf for $1200 to $1500 didn't even bother showing the other rifles. Judging by the market attitude I would probably have only gotten about $180 to $200 for the k-31 as well as the mini 14 which I would consider them both to be in very good condition. The other two I had with me a Yugoslavian Mauser and a cap and ball 1858 I no longer use I was going to use for making a deal for a couple of spare mags and some ammo. Or take them to a pawn shop to get the cash to do so. I wouldn't have even been able to get a standard M1A if I would have cashed in all five. Guess I'm going to oil them and grease them and put them in storage.
    Last edited by Desertbuck; 02-04-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    THE GUN
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

Banned
    Can you place the rifles on consignment at a shop until they sell?

That would handle your storage needs and your cash for a replacement rifle need.

Sell them here. The best bunch of guys to sell a gun to IMO.

Consignments also a good ideabut I have a hard time leaving my rifles in the care of somebody else just a thing with me.
    Selling here is also an option I may look into it.
    Thanks
    As far as what I'm going to feed it I might try Boolits but my experience with my M1 Garand it's kind of mixed results even if I powder coat them. Everything could be going great and then my gas system for whatever reason gets clogged with lead the barrel always perfectly clean and I get good accuracy. It's just the gas system that I have a problem avoiding getting clogged up. So I kind of gave up on it at least in the m1 Garand the M1A maybe an easier rifle to get to digest Boolits purely because it's chambered in 7.62 NATO. While I don't have any experience with it the cartridge itself seems to lend itself to reduced charges much better than a 30/06.
    Last edited by Desertbuck; 02-04-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    THE GUN
    D.B

Boolit Grand Master
    Dump the Ruger + #2. K-31's are well made and I think superior to so many rifles out there. But, it's up to you. Have fun.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Byebye Ruger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk