MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Tradition flintlock rifle questions

Tradition flintlock rifle questions

Hope to have this home by this weekend. It is a 50 cal. traditions flintlock rifle. New condition.
    1st question.....Is this the same lock that is on CVA rifles?
    2nd question. How do you determine what size of flint to use?
    3rd question....Does anyone on the forum have this rifle? If so how does it shoot? What load do you use?

Thanks StickClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image_c24b7f27-2913-4885-a35f-cb7792613662_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	235255

Banned
    No its a much better lock/frizzen than the old cva guns.

These will use the 5/8x1/2 flint. I HIGHLY recommend that you buy and use the French Amber flints, they work best on the traditions frizzens.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    80gr 2fg goex, .018" - .020" patch and .490" round ball. My mountain rifle flintlock liked 4fg goex in the pan, at around 4.5 grains.

https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.co...ifle-flintlock

I'm impressed by those amber flints and the fast lock time shown in the video at the end of the linked post.
    I enjoyed it so much that I watched it over & over.
    Track of the Wolf sells amber flints:--->>> https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Searc...amber%20flints

Banned

there quality variations on all flints as each rock is unique whether french amber or black english. besides the rock, there's the hardness of the frizzen AND the geometry of the lock. there are also two general types of flints, 'common' and 'fine', where the common ones are dual edged and with a thicker high point in the middle, and the fine flints are single edged and flat topped. i vastly prefer fine black english flints. it's all good, try them all out, try different flint vendors, see what works best for you.

IIRC, Traditions had bought out the remaining stock of Austin & Halleck Mountain Rifles after A&H went out of business
    and for a time were selling them at a discount until they were all sold out.

Then not too many years later, Traditions began marketing their own version of a Mountain Rifle which seems to be similar
    to the A&H, but is made in Spain by Ardesa and are relatively more affordable.

Traditions seems to have done a fairly good job with manufacturing it.

Banned
    All 4 of my traditions flintlocks LOVE the french amber. The german agate flints are so a great flint to use on these traditions guns. I used a lot of french amber flints but due to the heavy main spring and especially the frizzen spring, they often would just shatter after a dozen strikes and offer poor spark. French amber are the way to go without a doubt on the traditions.