Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: C430-310-rf

Boolit Master

C430-310-rf

Has anyone tried these in a 444 Marlin, what load was used? Looks like it would be a heavy hitter.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I actually do use the lee 310 rnfp. If i remember right 38 grains of imr 4198. And it is a thumper. And actually shoots pretty good in my micro groove barrel. These are hard cast with gass checks.

Boolit Master

have to seat them deep in the case to chamber in my Marlin with no throat.
    but they still shoot good.

I shoot them from a 6" Ruger Red Hawk and they are a penetrating S.O.B. Took a big buck 2 years ago with one, had over 14" straight line penetration thru the neck before it exited. This is only at 1250 fps.

Boolit Master
    Looking for possible load info for this boolet. I do not have any in any of my load books. Son has a 44 mag handgun and I have 444P marlin, looking for loads for each.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    Has anyone tried these in a 444 Marlin, what load was used? Looks like it would be a heavy hitter.
    The latest issue of Handloader Magazine has a very large and in depth article with the most reloading data on the 444 I've seen in one place. Cast and J-word , many different powders.... It made me wish I had one to load for.
    If you're a 444 loader you might want to check it out.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

In my Red Hawk, 20.8 grains 296, Win wlp primer, seated to 1.71" Rugers have long cylinders. If you seat to 1.6, DROP your charge!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The latest issue of Handloader Magazine has a very large and in depth article with the most reloading data on the 444 I've seen in one place. Cast and J-word , many different powders.... It made me wish I had one to load for.
    Gary
    Have the December issue here in front of me now need to check out a couple of items listed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Gary
    FWIW--I saw that article, and was surprised at the dearth of info on my favorite powder in the .444 Marlin, Reloder 7.
    While I have the Lee C430-310RF, I have chosen the MP-433-300HP for use in my Marlin 444XLR. 45g of Reloder 7 with that boolit sized to .432 and seated to 2.504 OAL gives me 2158fps and a 1.9" 5 shot gp at 100 yards. That is not a max load, but it is an accurate load and that's what I strive for in all my shooting. I would still start lower and work up with either the MP-433-300HP or solid, or the Lee 430-310RF. Hope this is of some help.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    My 444 likes 4198 with the 310's but also shoots well with 3031 and 5744 all at about 1800 fps. Since I no longer hunt elk, I have downsized the loads a bit for use on black bear and deer at close range using 240 gr SWC-GC boolits at about 1500 fps using Red Dot. With this lighter load, I don't even need a recoil absorber. I have tried a 260 gr SWC-PB but found those boolits were not stable at an MV of 1250 using Unique.
    BTW - The reason my loads using the 310's may seem mild at 1800 is because I used the 260 gr SWC's with sabots in my muzzleloaders for years taking several elk. It was clear to me that I didn't need to beat myself up with recoil in the 444 if all my shots are under 100 yards (often a whole lot less).
    Last edited by quilbilly; 02-01-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Boolit Master

I have loaded some dummies and found that they did not feed/eject well in my original, late microgroove era 444SS.

I replaced the black metal magazine follower with the new red plastic follower, and now the dummies feed and eject perfectly. I have yet to shoot any 310gr loads yet. I did have my 444 upgraded to the Ballard style barrel back in the day, so I'm not concerned about stabilization. The Ballard barrels have a tighter twist, proof that Marlin did listen, on occasion anyway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/42...colt-long-colt
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	428949.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	235050
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    the C430-310-RF mold got here this morning , plan on loading IMR-4198 into the shortened FTX brass with a start load of 33 gr. gas checked and powder coated. What do you guys think? brass is ready to go, it just have to warm up a bit to get out in the shop to cast

I really like that lee bullet in my 444, but I have to taper the shoulder just a little bit in the lathe for it to feed. My mold is a fat one, but I dont mind.

H4198 and 1920fps is my heavy load but since it is rarely needed I also like some old 860 at just under 1300fps

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    I really like that lee bullet in my 444, but I have to taper the shoulder just a little bit in the lathe for it to feed. My mold is a fat one, but I dont mind.
    Feed problems? Which follower are you using?

It boggles my mind that a magazine follower in a lever action affects feed so much... but it does.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Wrong words sorry. Not to feed actually. It will feed from the magazine fine it just wont fully chamber because of my fat shoulder.
    I have to taper a bit right in front of the crimp groove to fully close the lever. Even sizing the nose to .429 aint quite enough

Boolit Master

I solved that problem by ignoring the crimp groove and seat the bullet a fuzz deeper.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    the C430-310-RF mold got here this morning , plan on loading IMR-4198 into the shortened FTX brass with a start load of 33 gr. gas checked and powder coated. What do you guys think? brass is ready to go, it just have to warm up a bit to get out in the shop to cast
    finally got some slugs cast up and made a couple of dummies. Set the overall length a 2.525 to check if they feed ok, that works great,now load up some rounds and wait for a good day to go to the range. My slugs weight with gas checks is 308 gr. should be a heavy hitter.