MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I probably should have stayed in bed, it was one of those days.

Boolit Master
    Yesterday, I wanted to finish up a new hardness tester and all I wanted to do was make a threaded ring to screw onto the threaded point. As the thread pitch is 3/4 x 10, I wanted 20 divisions marked on it to show .005 advance for each mark. I put it in the index head and proceeded to mark them every 10 degrees. That gave me 36 divisions, so scrap that one. I make another and put in the index head, then mis-index about halfway around. I scrap that one and start over. I get the index done successfully, put it in the lathe to chamfer the edges, get the first side done with a threading tool and start to do the other side. The ring is threaded against a shoulder to hold in place, and guess what, the ring comes loose and unscrews itself running backward over the threading tool scrapping that one. I finally got one made and marked without messing up. This should have been a five to ten minute job, tops. Instead, I spent over an hour on this while I had two jobs promised to deliver before the end of the day to two important customers.

I did eventually get the two jobs done and delivered. I made it to the bank at 10 minutes 'till closing time.

I'm just glad I didn't start on the customer's jobs first. One was a 1917 Harley single cylinder that needed bored and honed. It took the customer more than a year to find an original cast iron piston and this for a very rare 1917 single cylinder bike. Harley had basically quit producing that engine in 1915, so to find one to replace it is just not going to happen. This kind of thing is just about enough to make one a nervous wreck.

Both jobs got done and delivered. Today, I get to work on MY stuff. (I hope)

Boolit Master

Kinda like driving to the range to chrony some new loads, and forgetting the chrony. Or going to the chrony to review results and pressing "delete string" instead of review string.

Or taking a rifle to the range, and forgetting the bolt.

Or that cool auto loading handgun that is a one shot since you forgot mags.

Or bringing the gun, but not the ammo

Or getting to the unattended outdoor range and having forgotten the gate keycard.

Yep, have had some days like that.

Loaded 100 ladder rounds for 2 different bullets/ 2 different powders. Had them in a marked plastic case. Knocked the whole thing over onto the carpet...
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Years back I made plans with a Buddy to go out to our shooting spot in the desert, 2 1/2 hour drive from SW LA Cnty. Bring Lots of Guns & Lots of Ammo.

Campout overnight, grill BIG ribeyes.

He and his son got out all the extra mags and preloaded them, whilw watch TV. Put them in a rangebag. Left at backdoor with ice chest.

Next morning I throw my gear in the truck on top of their's, at 5am. Off we go, stopped for breakfast.

Arrived at shooting spot, set up camp. Then set up target racks & steel plates. Put awning up over shooting tables. Uncase & rack my Ar-15 & M1 & his AK's & FN LAR & various Bolt Guns.

He noticed the Mags that stay in his AK's & FN aren't there. Then we can't find the shooting bag with all the preloaded mags. Check the Pistol cases. Not a single 1911, Hi-Power, Glock or H&K USP had a mag in them.

Ten semi-auto guns with a single magazine. When sent out to the garage to get the extra mags for preloading, the kid had pulled out the magazine's of the cased guns already loaded in the truck too.

The only gun in common I had brought was a 1911.
    He had 6ix revolvers & 2 bolt guns, but 10 single shot semi-auto's.

Why that kid pulled the magazine's out of their guns was beyond Jeff & I. That he had forgotton that range bag was very aggravating.

When shot for about 4 hours, broke down camp, came home.

A teenage boy brain working, when sent out to the garage for all the spare mags, he just collected every single mag, thought that meant the mags that always stay in their guns.

When we got home, Jeff gave me the Ribeyes. Said "I may not feed him for a week or several".

Took a long time for that kid to live that down.
    Last edited by Walks; 02-05-2019 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    I still say the worst day I ever had at the range beats the best day I've ever had at work.
    That is a cold hard fact!
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    We have this shooting test to qualify for deer,moose,bear etc hunt.

I once decided to shoot one hole with those four shots @ 75 m, very easy with my 300 WM LR setup. Just to show off and amuse myself.

People watching , I took my carefully crafted best ammo and missed with the first shot, 4" high because I forgot to dial myself back from the 300 m setting I was shooting the day before.

It's very hard to fail that test and I shoot 1" @ 300 m for 15 years with that rifle. But when the group is in a wrong place...

Boolit Grand Master

My casting day today started out that way. I finally got my act together and made a decent day of it!

Boolit Master

sometimes our "therapy" goes south; I've had those days too.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Bub
    I decided that my retirement forever property would have proper siting for my own shooting ranges. Now if I forget something, need a cleaning rod, want to quickly load some more ammo, I walk 50 yards back to the house. The only range I have to drive to is the 22 silhouette range, and it is 500 yards from the house and I "drive" a UTV.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12