RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: CLOSED: MP-Molds-Larsen-C432-250-RF-for-44-Special/ Magnum 444 Marlin

Boolit Master
    It's been dead down here for weeks. We could knock a few walls out and get our own mill.

When I first started lurking here there was an effort to launch an Iron mold maker. Brass molds were a rarity then, I still think Iron cast better. NOE MP and Accurate came along to fill that void but we lost the only independent Iron mold maker. Bill Sands made a valiant effort to save Ballisticast as near as I can tell but there was too much wrong. It takes a lot to run a business. You not only have to be good at your trade but every other little thing too. Just rambling to fill dead air. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I love Miha’s molds and think he makes works of art that cast great but I have to agree, I love old school iron molds above all others I’ve tried. Would love to see more makers get into making them. I keep meaning to try one of Tom’s iron molds but I look at his site with all the options and I get paralyzed by the options cause I already have all the designs I like that I know about, why spend the money?

Just saw that my order is wrong. The two cavity HP is supposed to be GC, not plan base. I don't mind on waiting for delivery.
    Tony

Vendor Sponsor

Hey Guys, I'm helping Miha out by putting a list together of the GB's stuck in closed, but havent been delivered. I'm assuming this is one of those that have not been delivered, correct?

Thanks,

Lakehouse2012

Boolit Master

CLOSED: MP-Molds-Larsen-C432-250-RF-for-44-Special/ Magnum 444 Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    Hey Guys, I'm helping Miha out by putting a list together of the GB's stuck in closed, but havent been delivered. I'm assuming this is one of those that have not been delivered, correct?

Thanks,

Lakehouse2012
    That is correct, this one is not delivered yet. Thanks for the assist Chris.

I'm A Honcho!
    Another one held up by pins gents.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    So another month has gone by without a word.

Are Pins something that can't be made anymore?

I find this more than rude.

I PMed Miha, Bluejay and Lakehouse.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 09-07-2020 at 02:02 PM.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    I haven’t been too active in the GB side of the forum lately, has any of Miha’s GBs gone through lately? Just curious if this is a pin issue or a low priority buy?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I haven’t been too active in the GB side of the forum lately, has any of Miha’s GBs gone through lately? Just curious if this is a pin issue or a low priority buy?
    Yes, others have shipped while we sit on the sidelines.

I sent an email through Miha's website and got an automated response.

I have only started to stir the pot.
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post

Stir, baby, stir. I'm ready for this one to end. Let's do this.

I can't believe that a full blown machine shop can't make its own pins. What the heck? That's got to be the most simple part of the mold.

Boolit Master

CLOSED: MP-Molds-Larsen-C432-250-RF-for-44-Special/ Magnum 444 Marlin

I’m not sure on this but when I first started buying MP molds it seemed like this was Miha’s side hustle. If memory serves he told me his day job was programming of some sort (web design?). I was under the impression he just has the CNC for doing the mold blocks, hence why he would outsource the parts he doesn’t have tooling for. Also, I recall reading that he was picking up some big European contracts for his CNC work so I’m sure that takes priority over these one-offs.

Either way, while I’m annoyed that this got “closed” prematurely, I’m still thrilled we have a resource like Miha to help us with this hobby. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too much longer (though I did just have to blow most of my slush fund to replace my dead table saw so hopefully it goes before the funding disappears )

Disclaimer: This was several years ago that Miha and I talked and i am inferring some things based on our conversations. Please feel free to correct me if my data is incorrect.

Vendor Sponsor

This GB is Bluejays, so I'm kinda outta line posting on his thread BUT I dont want to see folks getting all knotted up inside, SO:

1) Europe has the same issues we do; Covid. When I spoke with Miha a month ago, all the countries he is buying steel from have put restrictions on who (govt and large businesses) can buy. Depending on the destination country (Slovinia in this case) Germany and Switzerland were refusing to sell unless it was a large order, as in tons at a time. Miha had to rebuild his supply-chain, it took time.

2) He used to be part-time to molds, but went exclusive several years ago, he and his father are the only ones that work consistently because many people in his area are lazy or its easier to suck off their government (remember it used to be behind the Iron Curtain). Getting people to work is difficult or close to impossible.

3) The whole of Europe goes on freakin "holiday" for about a month in the August timeframe. Go back and check posts from previous years August, its the same whining every year. I'm not saying I agree with it, thats just what it is.

4) Those pins that you say are so easy to make- this comment bothers me. Everyone of his mold designs are specific to the pins. Measure some from different molds, height and location of the cross-pins changes, depending on lots of factors. Then you add in that its high-carbon steel (machining is tougher) and the diameter and length are held to .0005". Then multiply that by 25-50 molds with 4 cavities each, and there are usually 3-5 pin choices with each mold. Thats as many as 500 precisely ground, TINY - <language> pins high carbon parts for a single GB. Miha has over 100 designs of mold he has created over the years, and he is trying to keep them all in stock.

5) I've got calls and messages into him like I'm sure many others. Hes not responded to me either. I hope he and his family are safe and everything is ok.

None of you are going to die without receiving this mold at a specific time. I get that quarantine has some people on edge, but for the love of humanity, just ease up. The molds will get made, and this issue will pass.

If you no longer want in on the mold, just respectfully post that you no longer want it. No reason to be a Richard Cranium.

Peace and out,

Lakehouse2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dr-Greg View Post
    Stir, baby, stir. I'm ready for this one to end. Let's do this.

I can't believe that a full blown machine shop can't make its own pins. What the heck? That's got to be the most simple part of the mold.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I’m not sure on this but when I first started buying MP molds it seemed like this was Miha’s side hustle. If memory serves he told me his day job was programming of some sort (web design?). I was under the impression he just has the CNC for doing the mold blocks, hence why he would outsource the parts he doesn’t have tooling for. Also, I recall reading that he was picking up some big European contracts for his CNC work so I’m sure that takes priority over these one-offs.

Either way, while I’m annoyed that this got “closed” prematurely, I’m still thrilled we have a resource like Miha to help us with this hobby. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too much longer (though I did just have to blow most of my slush fund to replace my dead table saw so hopefully it goes before the funding disappears )

Disclaimer: This was several years ago that Miha and I talked and i am inferring some things based on our conversations. Please feel free to correct me if my data is incorrect.
    Last edited by No_1; 09-10-2020 at 07:07 AM. Reason: <language>

Boolit Master
    We all have problems. I keep my customers updated on delays. We have heard NOTHING from Miha except the molds were on the machine 6 months ago. He promised better communication, there has been NONE.
    Mal

I'm A Honcho!
    I will apologize for this as well. As with everything we have to maintain hope that things will get back to normal or the new normal as soon as possible.

While there was down time Miha did run all the molds that he had pins for and a lot of the older designs are now in stock for the first time in quite a while. He runs molds for 4 different places and the casting community is clamoring for the new ones to be run.

My apologies once again.

Lakehouse thanks for the plus one. I didn’t know what to say.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Vendor Sponsor

Miha called me back at 12:45am EST.........

He is about 1 week from being able to send invoices. He is working his tail off with all the orders, but you guys should start getting feedback very quickly. Somebody owes me a mold for expediting....

Boolit Master
    Sorry see post #138
    I'm out of this one,sorry all money is going to loan repayments,so sorry!
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Vendor Sponsor

E-mails will be out tomorrow
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    E-mails will be out tomorrow
    Yay, super excited!

Thank you Miha for the update.

Boolit Master
    Very Cool!

I keep stopping by to have another look.

Now I'm starting to worry. Hope everything is alright!
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 10-01-2020 at 08:12 PM.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Did I miss the invoice in my email? Haven’t seen mine come across yet so just wanted to make sure I hadn’t deleted it on accident. Anyone else get theirs yet?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast