WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: CLOSED: MP-Molds-Larsen-C432-250-RF-for-44-Special/ Magnum 444 Marlin

Finally had enough free time to actually sit down and cast with this mold. I see some others have had issues with the gas check shanks being oversized. I too have run into this issue. What has everyone's fix been for this? I have Hornady 44cal gas checks and they fit on my MP434-640 mold great. Can't even get them to start on this one. Any suggestions?

Thanks

LH

I'm A Honcho!
    Run them through the sizer as just the boolit and check. Powdercoat afterwards. A tight fit still seats square. I have the 434 mold and this is what is working with mine. There are so many different kinds of gas checks out there. Its hard to accomodate all of them. Are you using the undersized shank GCs? Most of the time the shank is too small and having standard shank GCs and "normal" shank GCs have helped me out. I only have one mold that needs the undersized. The balance I can make work by coating afterwards.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

The gas check shank on my mold is just too big. Please advise as to how to return the mold for a refund. It's no good to me without gas checks,
    Thanks,
    Rick

It doesn't matter when I try to put the gas check on the shank is roughly .015 larger then it should be. My MP434-640 has a .404 shank this mold has a .419 ish shank. I'm using standard Hornady gas check and from everything that I've found they are the same size as all standard gas check. I'm kinda in the same boat as Rick, that this mold as is ain't going to work the way it is. Has anyone been able to get in contact with Mihec about this issue. I sent him an email and a PM but haven't heard anything back from him as of yet.

Thanks
    LH

I'm A Honcho!
    Is your mold a .434? Is this bare lead or after it has been coated.

Anyone else with the same problem speak now. I will begin sending PayPals for shipping costs until I hear back from him.

I will consolidate and send back to him. Let me speak to him first.

Let’s see how many others had the same issue so we can clear them all at once.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

Yes, mine is a .434 and yes bare lead. Sounds like a plan. Just keep us in the loop and hopefully we can get this all figured out, because I'd really like this mold with the correct sized gas check shank.

Boolit Master
    I can say that if Miha is going to run another set I would pay him for the corrected blocks but if not I’ll deal with tight gas checks before going without the mold. These were a bear to install but they ended going on nice and tight which probably isn’t a bad thing.

I’ve also found that 44mag rounds PCd are fine without a gas check. We’ve done pretty extensive testing with the 429-244 gas check mold both checked with PC and non-checked Pc and found you get similar velocities and accuracy. Not saying I’ve stopped checking them as a normal practice, but maybe try a few PCd without gas check before opting to send the whole mold back for a refund. Also, other forum members may be interested in buying/trading.

I expect Miha will make it right as he’s a good man to work with and has done similar in the past.

I'm A Honcho!
    [QUOTE=RickinTN;5125624]The gas check shank on my mold is just too big. Please advise as to how to return the mold for a refund. It's no good to me without gas checks,
    Thanks,
    Rick

So you just want a refund and not new mold blocks. Was yours a 434 diameter?

Boolit Master

I believe mine is a .432 but would have to check to be sure. New blocks work for me instead of returning, as long as they work as they should. Mine is a 2 cavity brass.
    Rick

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I believe mine is a .432 but would have to check to be sure. New blocks work for me instead of returning, as long as they work as they should. Mine is a 2 cavity brass.
    Rick
    When it was just a few he let me manage the return. You can send the mold and I will issue a refund as soon as I see a tracking number.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I can say that if Miha is going to run another set I would pay him for the corrected blocks but if not I’ll deal with tight gas checks before going without the mold. These were a bear to install but they ended going on nice and tight which probably isn’t a bad thing.

I’ve also found that 44mag rounds PCd are fine without a gas check. We’ve done pretty extensive testing with the 429-244 gas check mold both checked with PC and non-checked Pc and found you get similar velocities and accuracy. Not saying I’ve stopped checking them as a normal practice, but maybe try a few PCd without gas check before opting to send the whole mold back for a refund. Also, other forum members may be interested in buying/trading.

I expect Miha will make it right as he’s a good man to work with and has done similar in the past.
    Are you ok with just getting new mold blocks sir?

I'm A Honcho!
    I seated 3 different checks on my boolits and yes the shank is on the large side but all seated square. Even the undersized GCs.

Did any of you try different GCs or did they just not seat on the ones you have?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Are you ok with just getting new mold blocks sir?
    For sure but only if he’s running a series of them and I’m more than happy to pay for them. If it’s him being put out please don’t sweat it.

Would anyone else be happier to have a replacement block set instead?

I'm A Honcho!
    It will be the same as last time we did a mold block exchange on a mold I ran. You will send the blocks or mold to me. I will issue the refund or you will get a new set of mold blocks if you chose to get replacements.

This gets the affected blocks out of circulation. There have been times when the defective blocks have been resold and the issue is being raised with Miha from the second or third buyer. To keep those communications down and the trickle in of the affected blocks it is best to get them out of the circulation.

When you send the blocks, if you happen to have a few casted boolits to put in the box. The measurements will help get the GC shank correct.

I will keep you posted. I have a message out to him and will follow up with a phone call in a few hours when he opens.
    Last edited by bluejay75; 02-22-2021 at 11:35 PM.

I'm A Honcho!
    But I am prepared to issue a refund as soon as I get a tracking number if that suits you. For the mold you bought and a small flat rate box.

I'm definitely good with replacement blocks. We waited a long time for this mold whats a little little longer. If you'll PM your Info I'll get everything together to send your way. Definitely appreciate you spearheading this effort.

I'm A Honcho!
    Just heard back from Miha. Heres where we are. Of the 100+ molds of this same design that he cut to include the prototypes he used for testing, no one has said that these GC shanks are too large or too small except the three who have replied here to this forum. This may very well be a GC issue rather than a mold issue. I have different models of GCs that I will send you samples of if you want to try them (my input). And ALL GC versions of this mold has been sold out for weeks.

He is willing to provide GC expanders to the three of you that feel your GC shanks are too large for the GCs you have. Option 1.

Return for refund. Option 2.

Cut new blocks. Option 3. But only after all reasonable attempts have been made to remedy and problem has been assessed.

He requested that you post pics with calipers showing the reading at the base and nearest the bottom driving band. He needs that to do a couple things...see if it is a mold defect (Diameter) to correct, mold defect (too rounded or bulged on the GC shank end). You can send those photos directly to him but Im certain most of us casters would like to see them too to compare to ours.

What are your thoughts?

I'm A Honcho!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5657.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	278355

Name:	IMG_5658.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	278356

Rickin TN. Yours might be undersized as well. I spoke to leadhopper this morning and the Hornadys he has mic like a Gator Undersized GC. My older Hornady GCs mic 10-12 thou under the Gators and almost the same as a Undersized GC. Please mic your Gas Checks and see what you come up with.

Commercial GCs are built for commercial molds. There's a little you have to give up to get larger diameter boolits to be able to size at a larger diameter. Most Lyman, Hornady etc are built to service off the shelf molds primarily and come out of the mold at .430 max. Have to be able to seat a check on those boolits with little or no lead displacement. So they have to be smaller.
    Last edited by bluejay75; 02-23-2021 at 11:58 AM.

I'm A Honcho!
    Measurement midway of the check is .416 and is .418 at the mouth.

Name:	IMG_5659.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	278357

Now these are too big for my 434 640 and when sized to .433 they spin freely in my hand and will not come off. But when I powdercoat everything works out the way its supposed to. Otherwise I have to use undersized GCs to get a first time seat on a non powdercoated boolit.

Boolit Master
    Thank you, for the info. Upon further consideration, I’m good with the mold I have. Tight gas checks are a good thing in my opinion so I’m good with as is.

Thank you and Miha for looking into this for us.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast