Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: BLL, thick White label 45-45-10...

Boolit Master

Question BLL, thick White label 45-45-10...

After ordering a bottle of White Label 45-45-10, I read about BLL! (Story of my life!) I bought two cans of Johnson's Liquid Floor Wax from a forum member who had bought out a store's entire supply. Then, life got in the way, and I am just now getting ready to lube a lot of self-cast and commercial boolits, which are already lubed with Lee Tumble Lube, and whatever magical mixture the commercial boolits came with.

My cast boolits will be loaded to 800-1,000 fps velocities, sized .358 for my cylinder mouths, and I have had complaints from other shooters at indoor ranges about the amount of smoke from my reloads. I admit, they did have a point! Will the 45-45-10 minimize this, or would it be better to just deep six the mixture... I don't want to do that, because the 45-45-10 is said to be Really Good Stuff and, I just don't like to throw good stuff away (cheap?)...and go with a new batch of BLL? Or, will using the White label mixed with Johnson's and perhaps Mineral Spirits do what I need?

Now: the 45-45-10 is in a thickened state, (doesn't even slosh when I shake it.) and I thought adding some of the liquid wax might thin it enough to work...say, a mixture of 75 % 45-45-10 and 25% Johnson's, then thin as needed for the "Coke from a bottle" pour.

What say, experts? Am I headed in the right direction?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by sniper; 02-04-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Banner Sponsor

If the 45-45-10 has sat for awhile, then the mineral spirits can evaporate some leaving it thicker than desirable. Put the whole bottle in a pan of hot water and when it's liquid and can be shaken, then add some mineral spirits to it to get it back to the right consistency.

If you want to mix some of the Johnson's liquid wax in, I would suggest getting a separate bottle and mix small batches at a time, just in case it gets messed up...

I have not noticed any smoke when shooting bullets lubed with it, but then I don't shoot at indoor ranges.

The 45-45-10 does not need to be put on thick to work. I put a couple hundred bullets in a cool whip tub, drizzle a small amount of lube over them, put the lid on and swirl around and around until they all look wet with just a small tinge of brown. If they have a heavy coating of lube, either put in more bullets, or get a rage and start sopping up the extra lube, then tumble and check again...
    Once they are lubed, pour onto a piece of wax paper and let dry overnight. Setting them in a warm place helps them to dry faster.

let me know if there is anything that I can help with.
    Glenn.

Boolit Master
    Glenn; Good advice....Thanks! I found a 200 ml glass bottle with a tight gasket and lid, then put in about 70% 45-45-10 , including a little very thin Lee Liquid Alox that was left in a bottle I used for tumble lubing. I then added about 25% Johnson's Liquid floor wax, and thinned to nearly the "Coke bottle pour" consistency with Mineral Spirits. If I farbled it somehow, I still have most of the good stuff left. We will see how or if it works!

Does anybody have some more suggestions?

I have had people comment about the smoke from my reloads as well. Once someone tried to claim I was shooting black powder indoors. Big no-no at the club.
    I just make sure the exhaust fans are blowing and do my thing.
    Some of those people never turn the fans on.

Sniper---- The less you use to coat the boolits, the less smoke you will have. The 45-45-10 doesn't take much at all to do the job in most guns. Just keep using less and less until it starts to be a problem then go a little heavier.

Now: the 45-45-10 is in a thickened state, (doesn't even slosh when I shake it.)

Warm it up it will thin out

Moderator Emeritus

Smoke:
    Alox is the ingredient that causes the smoke...but it is also the ingredient that makes it a good boolit lube,
    Less alox means less smoke, but I suspect no matter how much you thin the alox content, if there is enough to function successfully as a boolit lube, you will have some noticeable smoke at a indoor range.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Re shooters complaining about smoke, never happened at my club. Of course everyone who reloaded used Alox/BW. Used to blow my nose a lot to get the "soot" out. Now we have OSHA exhaust fans. Sounds like you have a bunch of "girly" men....charlie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie3tuna View Post
    Re shooters complaining about smoke, never happened at my club. Of course everyone who reloaded used Alox/BW. Used to blow my nose a lot to get the "soot" out. Now we have OSHA exhaust fans. Sounds like you have a bunch of "girly" men....charlie
    Sadly, they are taking over.