Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: Corbin base guard

Boolit Buddy

Corbin base guard

30 some years ago I bought a Corbin press and a set of dies in 45 (pistol) caliber. Included was an internal base guard punch. Although I swaged a few pure lead bullets utilizing the base guard I never loaded or obviously then , never shot any either. Am wondering if anyone has experience shooting them at .45 Colt or acp (800fps) velocities. Would appreciate input as I hate cleaning lead out of a bore.

Boolit Buddy
    The base guard system is a modern application of the Harvey cast bullet. You can find a write up in the
    first edition of the Lyman handbook of cast bullets. Jim Harvey designed a mold where a zinc washer
    is cast into the base of the bullet. Bullets were shot as cast, the zinc washer scrapped any lead left behind by the bullet.
    It also left a thin wash of zinc in the bore the helped prevent further leading.
    My TC Contender in 44 magnum the barrel shot clean --no leading at all. Just a few whisps of lead that went away with
    one or two passes of a brush. The draw back is bullets are pure lead not alloy like cast and mushroom when they hit anything.
    Went back to casting since lead wire was more expensive than scrap lead.

Boolit Master
    I ran 250 45 acp 200gr base guard bullets thru a Springfield mil spec 45. There was some leading in the throat. The rest of the barrel was clean. Base guards work good if your barrel is on the tight side of the specs. My .02.