Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Good Gumbo

Good Gumbo

Whipped up some gumbo the other day. I say "whipped up" but believe me, there is no substitute for taking all the time in the world to get it just right! The longer it sits in the fridge, the better it gets!

--Wag--

Recipe/directions:

Gumbo

* 1 cup oil
    * 1 cup flour
    * 2 large onions, chopped
    * 2 bell peppers, chopped
    * 4 ribs celery, chopped
    * 4 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
    * 3 quarts chicken stock and 1 quart of vegetable stock. Homemade is best but I won't scream at you if you use store bought! Just be sure to get stock, not broth and if you make your own, know the difference. I only say that because there was a time when I didn't know. Ugh.
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, or to taste
    * 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    * Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (careful with the salt here, most creole seasoning is pretty heavy on salt and you've already added that)
    * 1 bunch scallions (green onions), tops only, chopped
    * 2/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
    * 1 large chicken (young hen preferred), cut into pieces
    * 2 pounds andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces. If you can't find andouille, use a local smoked sausage or kielbasa or whatever smoked sausage you like.

Season the chicken with Creole seasoning, and salt and pepper and brown quickly in a hot cast iron skillet with a dab of oil. Don't try to cook the chicken all the way through, just get the skin browned well. Set it aside when it's browned enough.

Brown the sausage, pour off fat and reserve meats. Same thing: hot cast iron with a dab of oil. I just toss it into the same skillet I used for the chicken. Set this aside as well.

--------------------------

In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil and cook the flour in the oil over medium to high heat (depending on your roux-making skill), stirring constantly, until the roux reaches a dark reddish-brown color, almost the color of coffee or milk chocolate for a Cajun-style roux. Do it over lower heat if you're nervous about burning it. You'll notice that at about the same time the color is right, it will start to thicken and that's about the time it's done.

Add the vegetables and stir quickly. This starts cooking the vegetables and also stops the roux from cooking further. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes.

Add the stock, seasonings, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then cook for at least an hour. The original recipe said something strange about skimming fat off the top as it cooks but I can't imagine doing that. Best part of the soup!

Add the chopped scallion tops and parsley, and heat for 5 minutes.

Serve over rice in large shallow bowls. Accompany with a good beer and lots of hot, crispy French bread.

This recipe scales very easily. Depending on how many people you are feeding you can double or even triple everything without any problems. Like most foods of this type, it's even better the next day. I routinely make it on Saturday night for serving on Sunday.
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Good recipe, only thing I would add is ‘okra’.

Boolit Master
    Yep, gotta have okra, then when cooking break 3 or 4 raw eggs into gumbo as for poaching the eggs. Love me some good gumbo!

Boolit Master
    Will that recipe work ok to cut in half since it's mostly me that will be eating the gumbo?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Will that recipe work ok to cut in half since it's mostly me that will be eating the gumbo?
    Go ahead and make full recipe, freeze what you don't eat . Next time the gumbo crave hits you ...just thaw and eat. It's even better after freezing.
    It's not any more work or trouble to make the whole recipe . I make a big pot full and then freeze in smaller sized containers that feed the wife and I .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    The only things i would add is okra and shrimp. I like my roux made with lard or crisco but lard is better and i cook my roux over medium low heat and yes it takes a while 1 to 1 1/2 hour constant stiring is bout right until it turns a rich brown. I just love gumdo but it doesn't like my sugar so wife gives me a fit if i fix it to often. I can get away with it when ever grandkids come over they just love it to.

Sounds great! Do you de-bone the chicken before it goes in the pot or do you just leave it in with the meat for more flavour and then warn folks to watch out for the chicken bones when they eat it? I like the suggested idea of adding shrimp near the end ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Good recipe, only thing I would add is ‘okra’.
    I'll have to try that next time.

Yep, gotta have okra, then when cooking break 3 or 4 raw eggs into gumbo as for poaching the eggs. Love me some good gumbo!
    Same here, with the eggs!

You can, but if you do, a chicken breast and a couple of drumsticks should be plenty. Or, as Red Bear suggested, you can freeze it. It will still take the same amount of time to make it, even if you make half.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    The only things i would add is okra and shrimp. I like my roux made with lard or crisco but lard is better and i cook my roux over medium low heat and yes it takes a while 1 to 1 1/2 hour constant stiring is bout right until it turns a rich brown. I just love gumdo but it doesn't like my sugar so wife gives me a fit if i fix it to often. I can get away with it when ever grandkids come over they just love it to.
    Shrimp would be good but one of my buddies was joining me for lunch and he doesn't like shrimp so next time.

As always, even better the next day!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

If you need to cut down on the fats , oils and lard when making a roux you might want to check out a product called Kary"s Dry Roux ( www.karysroux.com ) you can still have a good gumbo without all the bad part of a good roux. Since I discovered this stuff I always have a jar handy.
    Now this is the DRY roux , not the already made roux in a jar , it helps make a killer good brown gravy too .
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If you need to cut down on the fats , oils and lard when making a roux you might want to check out a product called Kary"s Dry Roux ( www.karysroux.com ) you can still have a good gumbo without all the bad part of a good roux. Since I discovered this stuff I always have a jar handy.
    Now this is the DRY roux , not the already made roux in a jar , it helps make a killer good brown gravy too .
    Heresy! Gimme that fat!

--Wag--

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Heresy! Gimme that fat!

--Wag--
    I agree , but just throwing the info out for those who have to watch what they eat.
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I watch everything that I eat ... all the way from the plate right up to my mouth!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I watch everything that I eat ... all the way from the plate right up to my mouth!
    We need a "Like" button! that deserves a "LIKE that post" for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post

Hitting LIKE button !
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"