Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke Lee Classic Cast

Boolit Master

Broke Lee Classic Cast

Was sizing 380 auto cases down to 356, for use as jackets to make some .357 bullets. The cases were difficult sizing, it took two hands on the leaver to push them through the die.

A sharp crack rang out, fragments were bouncing, and the press leaver left the press and was still in my hand. Looking for the problem, the die was okay, ram and punch okay, frame, solid as ever.

Looking down the press the leaver sleeve was missing. Looking around among the containers of brass, most the parts were right there.

Made from powdered steel the part might not be up to swaging. Lees web site show that part first on their parts page, sells it for 4 dollars. Heck they probably would replace it, but its made from powdered metal.

Looking around the garage, I found a piece of 1" iron pipe, the outside diameter was close enough. Chucked it in the lathe, it was not very good going the metal was soft and gummed up the parting tool a few times. After getting a clean cut. the inside diameter was too big.

Rummaging around I found an old shaft, rusty. a few short slots for woodruff keys, one end mushroomed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lever sleeve.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	235242

That ugly old shaft machined up nicely.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Nice fix!

Boolit Buddy
    How many did you(swage) before it broke? Was this derimming at the same time?

Boolit Master

I'm not done fixing it yet, I need to cut 48 little notches on one end, and a 5/8 half round on the other end.

I have been using this press for few years, have sized about 5000 9mm cases to 30 caliber jackets, five steps each. Maybe 1500 9mm to .357 jackets, at two step each. maybe 800 .380 to .357 jackets. It also has been handling regular reloading duty.

Replaced the original hollow steel leaver with a stainless steel rod a couple years ago. This press has earned a few new parts.

Not much of a rim on .380
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Try checking with Lee if they still stock that part, if so, they'll send you one, just pay for shipping (which ain't cheap).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Try checking with Lee if they still stock that part, if so, they'll send you one, just pay for shipping (which ain't cheap).
    Lee's replacement part is made from powdered metal, 100 percent suitable for reloading.
    Brittle and not quite up to the heavy sizing I have been using the press for.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Banned
    Send the broken part to lee using the cheapest method you can and they will send you the replacement part for free (they used to)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Send the broken part to lee using the cheapest method you can and they will send you the replacement part for free (they used to)
    No need to send broken parts, just email/call them & they'll take care of you. If they carry it in their website (under parts) you can put in in your cart & just pay shipping

Boolit Master

You might want to think about annealing your 380 brass before taking up swaging them again.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Vendor Sponsor

Seen that part break before, I think it is one of the design fail safes, it breaks befor damage to rest of press or dies.

All though I've never broken one or any other part of Lee classic. I do recommend using grade 8 replacement bolt that holds the handle together.

Yes Lee would replace it for free but what fun is that

Sewage on
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

I wonder if you could cut only 4-6 grooves rather then the 48? Match it to the other of course.....
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

Here's my notches, CNC mill wasn't too worried about 48 of them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48 notches.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	235310

Hickory, I might have to anneal them again, they sat around in an open box for several months, any ole .380 floating around could have landed in there.
    Some were pretty tough to get through.
    Like the one that broke collar sleeve.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Seen that part break before, I think it is one of the design fail safes, it breaks befor damage to rest of press or dies.

All though I've never broken one or any other part of Lee classic. I do recommend using grade 8 replacement bolt that holds the handle together.

Yes Lee would replace it for free but what fun is that

Sewage on
    Brian beat me to it.
    I believe Lee has that in their design as "THE" weak link.
    I've never broken one either, but have seen/heard of several others breaking them...I have ordered a spare or two, just to have them laying around. (I have two Lee Classic Cast single stage presses as well as a LCT).
    ~~~~

clodhopper, be careful with your new improved "Link" that isn't so weak.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    A little case lube maybe?

It's amazing just how much the Lee stuff can handle.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    No need to send broken parts, just email/call them & they'll take care of you. If they carry it in their website (under parts) you can put in in your cart & just pay shipping
    You can ship the item(s) to them much cheaper than they charge shipping and handling when you get them free online to ship it back.

If you live near them and bring in the broken part they will replace for free.

Boolit Buddy
    Now I know who to call if I break one of mine !
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master

Weak link... Dose my walnut hill have one? either of my CSPIIs, Rockchucker, Redding C frame?

Thanks for the warning guys, but if it bites, I will man up and buy my own band aid.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Banned
    I broke the same part on my Lee Classic Cast about 2 years ago. Lee sent me a new one for the cost of shipping... About $5.
    As someone else suggested, use CASE LUBE. You would be absolutely amazed at how well it works. I have some full case resizing dies made for using a hammer. Without case lube one would swear the case would never fit into one. But with lube PRESTO like magic they work. You can make your own case lube with Lanolin and alcohol or like me lanolin and a little canola oil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Lee's replacement part is made from powdered metal, 100 percent suitable for reloading.
    Brittle and not quite up to the heavy sizing I have been using the press for.
    The replacement one they sent me is much better than the original that I broke. The one I broke was brittle and grainy like some kind of cast iron. I think the trick is to not torque the bolt that holds it in too tight. I broke mine while tightening with a 14" adjustable wrench.

Boolit Master

Yes I have been using case lube, castor oil applied via stamp pad.
    The case lube comment was written in purple so I just took it as a fun little poke of obvious.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast