MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Went shooting with my Dad

Boolit Grand Master

When I quit driving Dad would drive me to the local bpcr matches. 1st match we were short one person so the director asked Dad if He would score for me. He picked it up quick and enjoyed it. Made friends with most of the guys. For almost 2 years We had this routine. I and several others tried to get him to fire a few rounds different times but no go. I can remember the first match we were setting up for rams at 500yds and he told me that's really a long ways. I'm setting the scope for zero, and hes watching. We get the fire command I ask him if he's ready and he's on the big binoculars. I fire and ram swings then dings heard. I went on to clean the rams. Looked over and He's smiling, Tells me I thought you'd missed when the ram swung didn't realize how long it took the bullet to travel that far. Or the sound to travel back. We did this for almost 2 seasons like this. I think he liked getting out and the new friends along with lunch with the crew. I know he enjoyed seeing me compete.

Boolit Grand Master

Good job on getting dad out. (My) Dad died 6 years ago in May at the age of 57. Not a day goes by I don’t think of him. Hold onto those memories andnprint those pictures with the date and location. It’ll be yournkids asking you the details later. I lost an entire external hard drive of baby pictures and pictures of me and dad when my soon to be ex wife stole it and pawned it or trashed it. Keep those memories safe.

Last time I shot with my dad was in the Arizona desert, I'm guessing 15 years ago. It's never been a huge mutual interest of ours, but he was a hunter in his younger days and my love of guns stems from admiring his (few) guns as a young man and then shooting/hunting with them as a teenager and into my adult years. I'm in SC these days, and he in Montana, so our opportunities are limited. I am, however, inspired to get the old man out for some shooting next time I make it up that way. He's not getting any younger.....and struggling with some health issues, so the chances may be getting slim.

Thanks for sharing, the photos are awesome! ….and inspiring!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

This thread reminded me of a great group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc7Z...=RDwIQQDYaoWpc

Hope it works for ya.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

What a blessing to grow up with your Dad. My Dad passed away when I was almost 10 years old. I don't remember going fishing or hunting with him. Now I am almost old, (75) and I shoot with my Wife and Daughters, and I enjoy every minute of it.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Banned

My Dad was never much of a hunter, just wasn't his thing. He was quite an outdoorsman in other respects, mainly a backpacker and did some pretty lengthy remotes hikes in interesting places, but we (me and three other sons) spent a great deal of time doing that up in the piedmont of the Appalachians in S.C. I picked up hunting somewhere along the way, but it was an out growth of the passion for guns and shooting and also the outdoors.

My folks were good parents, no doubt about it, and I know I am very fortunate to have been born into a situation like that. I work with teenagers real closely in my line of work now, many are great kids, but there are an awful lot of them now who really don't have that in their lives and society is already feeling the impact of it.

Boolit Master

Congratulations on an unforgettable day. Sure wish I could take Dad shooting. He's still with us, 85 years old and his mind and health are great other than the arthritis that has damaged his hands so badly that he struggles with a knife and fork. He loves to shoot and still has some nice guns.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12