Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went shooting with my Dad

Banned

Went shooting with my Dad

Weather was good, wasn't gonna waste time with the Super Bowl, so I drove down and took my dad to the new state range they just opened in El Dorado.

Dad's 83 now, probably the most knowledgeable gun nut and quite a competition pistol shooter in his day. He was a very passionate fan of falling block single shot rifles too, and he picked up this repro High Wall in .30-40 Krag shortly before we moved him and mom into assisted living before he really got to do anything with it. We lost Mom (his wife of 58 years) in December, and I've been meaning to get to see him more often than I have been. Anyway, he had a blast with the rifle, still shoots pretty well for his age and after detaching a retina in his shooting eye many years ago. That new range in El Dorado is a darn ice facility too. Good day all the way around, I need to break loose from being so busy and do things like this more often.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dad at range 2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	235238 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dad at range.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	235239

Boolit Master

Glad you had a afternoon with your Dad enjoying a mutual hobby. Those are precious times.
    There will always be another superbowl. Mabey the KC Chiefs next year!

Boolit Master

Make and enjoy the time, I wish it was possible to go shooting with my Dad but it will be on the other side. I have many good memories though.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

That's great.
    Enjoy the company of them old folks while ya can.
    I've learned that they'll be gone sooner than ya realize.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Heck yeah, enjoy spending time with him as long as you can. I’m 65, spent the afternoon at the outdoor range with my son today. Good times...
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Just remember that people are more important than things.
    Go see your family and friends.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

My Dad is in his late 80s, and lives several states away. A few years ago, I called him up and invited him on a hog hunt. He came here, we went hunting, spent a few days together. He even got a small hog.

I'm glad I did it before he got too infirm to accompany me.

Boolit Master

Awesome!

I have two dads. No, not for the "modern" reason. My biological dad, who left when I was two, and my stepdad, who married my mom when I was six.

Both are firearms enthusiasts. Biological dad is a legend in the hunting/fishing/shooting world and used to write for Field & Stream and rubbed shoulders with Elmer Keith.

He has a place in the country about 12 miles away with an indoor shooting bench and rifle range up to 300yds. I use it about every other week or so to develop loads.

Stepdad is retired Chief of Police/FBI and also into hunting and shooting.

Ironically, both of them winter down in Arizona, so I haven't seen either one for months. Looking forward to Spring and their return.

I'm 50 and amazed that I always learn something new from either one of them when we go shooting. Both are in their 70's and I treasure every time we get to spend together.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

My son & I did a lot of high power shooting when he was a kid. Went to Camp Perry every year. That was years ago and a lot of good times. Now age & arthritis prevent me from position shooting, so every once in a while when he can get away from work, we take in some action pistol shooting. I'm old & slow now, but sure enjoy shooting together with him again. Means more to me than ever before. Hoping my granddaughter will take an interest.
    Good for you & your dad. Bet it meant a lot to both of you.

Boolit Master

I suspect you can't begin to imagine what that means to him Rich...spending the time, just the visit, the shooting just a little bonus. Good on you, better on him.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I suspect you can't begin to imagine what that means to him Rich...spending the time, just the visit, the shooting just a little bonus. Good on you, better on him.
    could not have been said better. When my folks entered assisted living, I spent five days with them, three or four times per year, alternating with my siblings. They thrived on the visits, drives in the country etc..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    Seeing an old guy with a Falling block just seems right. He looks happy. My dad is not a shooter. Looks like a wonderful day.

Boolit Master
    When My Dad retired from the USMC we moved to Saugerties, N.Y. He lost all interest in shooting, or so it seemed. As much as he liked to fish, he didn't do that either. Shortly after I graduated High School I move to Pensacola for a short time, then on up to Eufaula, Alabama where I stayed for 40 some years. Dad move to P-Cola and stayed there. He'd come up and visit, and shoot some of my handguns. He really liked my Government Model Colt 1911. We fished in the lake, but he wasn't too keen on motorboats.
    When I went to visit him he and I would always find a way to go fishing in the salt water.
    He lived until he was 84. I still miss him.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

GOOD on Ya!!
    Well done
    Thank you for bonding with dad
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Cherish every minute with family.

Boolit Buddy
    Good job, a moment that can never be stolen, Rich. My father is 95, and his favorite says right now is" time waits for knowone."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Seeing an old guy with a Falling block just seems right. He looks happy. My dad is not a shooter. Looks like a wonderful day.
    Two things he used to collect were Colt Woodsmans and Stevens 44 1/2 rifles. At one time, he probably had the best collection of the Stevens 44 1/2s anywhere, but gradually started downsizing a few years ago, now only a couple left that had issues, eventually I'll get them going again. The rifle in the pictures is a Cimmaron High Wall replica with a good Marbles tang sight. It's his rifle, I'm just keeping it for him and loading for it now. It's a very fine rifle, probably a lot better than the original Winchesters.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Two things he used to collect were Colt Woodsmans and Stevens 44 1/2 rifles. At one time, he probably had the best collection of the Stevens 44 1/2s anywhere, but gradually started downsizing a few years ago, now only a couple left that had issues, eventually I'll get them going again. The rifle in the pictures is a Cimmaron High Wall replica with a good Marbles tang sight. It's his rifle, I'm just keeping it for him and loading for it now. It's a very fine rifle, probably a lot better than the original Winchesters.
    My dad gave me his Uberti High Wall clone and I've used it in BPCR competitions. One rifle I now have zero use for but will never sell...

Attachment 235349
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I will always remember the last time me and Dad went shooting. I had just gotten my new carry gun, a Sig P238. We stepped out back and ran a few mags. He fell in love with it. Don't think I can ever sell that one.

Only old dude I've got left is Grandpa, who was also something of a famous shooter/writer back in his day. Only gotten to shoot once with him these past few months. He's been up in the city taking care of his older brother in his end days. Try and make some time with him every chance I get- won't ever regret it.

Glad you got the time and some pics too.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Banned
    My grandfather was a contractor (like me) and a gun "fanatic He passed before I was born. My dad not so much, we had nothing in common. He kept grandpas 2 newest guns, a 22 and a 4-10. Someone riped grandma off when she moved out of the house paying $800 for 170+ guns, loading gear and accessories.

IF you don't make time to be with your parents, there is no going back when they are gone.

Good for you for taking the time and making more memories you'll keep forever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast