Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bad cast iron skillet

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Cast iron cook ware was never meant to be run glowing red. You may get away with it but the pan will probably warp or worse crack. As Doug mentioned electrolysis for rust and lye bath for heavy carbon is a better bet.
    Well,where I live it's a traditional way and still being instructed as the best care. Real deep clean.

I have a dozen or so pans in good condition,some are about 100 years old. My grandmother sure didn't use electrolysis.

Try it with one pan,you may be surprised how nothing sticks to it for years.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Cast iron cook ware was never meant to be run glowing red. You may get away with it but the pan will probably warp or worse crack. As Doug mentioned electrolysis for rust and lye bath for heavy carbon is a better bet.
    We heated up our griddle on the electric stove on high once & it cracked. Now the oil drips into burner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    There are different versions of cast iron I guess.

I have used cast iron pots to melt WW /scrap for 20 years. A couple of tons. On open flame,usually on a propane burner. And those burners are made of cast iron as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    The pot does sound like an early Lyman lead melting pot.
    That was/is my best guess.

DougGuy & Tom W---This pot is too small to be practical for use as a cooking pot. Not upset at all Tom, I just wondered if I had missed something along the way. Any cooking sized pot would be checked out thoroughly if I were going to cook in it.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    No problem. I had an old Lodge skillet that I started out using when I first was casting for my muzzle loader. Being young and dumb I had an electric stove in the garage and used it to melt the lead. I also destroyed a few stove eyes in the process. When I bought another residence somehow that frying pan went with me. I had purchased a couple of Lee melting pots, so I put it outside and away from anywhere there was food. That pan was beautiful, looked like it was seasoned by a pro, but knowing it's history it stayed outside. When I met Lori and moved up here I put the pan into the G.I.can..... I think...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    One more thing about cast iron and heat:

Here is my kitchen stove. The grate under the burning wood is made of cast iron and it has worked for as long as I remember , 50+ years. Not even bent yet. The house was built in 1900.

Attachment 235481

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12