Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trapdoor on the way but now what?...

Boolit Grand Master

So how far down into the case does the NOE go?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    So how far down into the case does the NOE go?
    Guess adding a number might have been a good idea. Looong day at work has fried my brain. Hold one and I'll get you that.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

From the top of the .463 diameter portion to the beginning of the radius at the bottom of plug looks to be approximately. 410.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Vendor Sponsor

You will ONLY need that depth if you are loading mil-spec period ammo like the book describes. This assuming the big 500 1881 bullet is used and loaded full down into the case. I for the most part never do that. I load for accuracy. Seating the bullet out to kiss the rifling or using a shorter bullet requires much less case neck expansion depth.
    I also make replacement expanders so I can adjust the two diameters to what I load for. Buffalo Arms has them like I make and they are under $20
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

I only pan lube because I have it down and just push out the bullets lubed perfect. I think I have a 0.563" lube/sizer die for the RCBS/Lyman press if you want it and are not panlubing yet.
    Pan lubing is the only way to GO and it is NOT messy, if, you don't use a bullet cake cutter - then you have greasy kid stuff everywhere!
    Chill Wills

Another question I have is on loads.

Lyman's 3rd addition Cast manual shows a starting load of IMR4198 for their 420gr 457193 of 21.5gr with a 1/2gr dacron wad for 952fps, HOWEVER, the 4th edition shows 31.5gr (no mention of dacron) at 1312 fps for the exact same boolit but weighing 405gr. This 4th edition starting load is higher than the 3rd's max load with a wad.
    --why such a difference between loads in each addition? I'm sure the dacron wad plays a part but one that large?

The 3031 loads in both manuals are identical start and max but differ in fps readings. If you add a dacron to the 3031 should the starting load be reduced a bit?

Using 2400 with a dacron wad sounds appealing mainly because I have that on hand. Would an 18gr starting load with a dacron wad be good? 1/2 or 3/4gr dacron wad?

I can get either the 4198 or the 3031 locally but would there be a preference between the two?

TIA

Sounds like you're down to the part where you only need to pace around like an expectant father until it arrives.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Sounds like you're down to the part where you only need to pace around like an expectant father until it arrives.
    You got that right. Rifle coming from Oregon went to ID and then back to NM. Not sure why it had to do that? Maybe the Old Warrior Gods wanted it to make one more trip across the part of the country it saw service before it stayed in TX for the rest of its days.

Boolit Master
    AggiePharmD,
    YOu will not need the case expander once you get your cases fireformed.
    I have shot my TD for years with Fire Formed cases, and just finger seat the bullets.
    You start with loading your primed cases with appropriate powder and an over powder wad
    , doing your powder compression to the desired depth for the bullet to Slightly crush fit into the
    rifling as you close the breech.( It is noted that the TD does have a pretty good mechanical advantage
    so it can seat a bullet into the lands pretty good.) It is noted that you can then finger seat the lubed bullets
    into the loaded cases. Not a problem
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    OH, I do need to note that for years, I have loaded only BP loads in my TD.
    They do Very well with BP. And easy wiping between shots as I earlier noted,
    with my flex jag adaptor and delrin wiping rod
    beltfed/arnie

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I only pan lube because I have it down and just push out the bullets lubed perfect. I think I have a 0.563" lube/sizer die for the RCBS/Lyman press if you want it and are not panlubing yet.
    Pan lubing is the only way to GO and it is NOT messy, if, you don't use a bullet cake cutter - then you have greasy kid stuff everywhere!
    Chill I might take you up on the offer of the .463 lubesizer die. I haven't yet cast a boolit in my new mold so don't know what I'll actually get. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks beltfed. I haven't moved I to black powder yet but will come back to this when I move that way.

I've been reading Mr Wolf's book like crazy. One thing I'm concentrating on is the part about sight settings for various loads which is great expect I'm shooting smokeless with the Buffington sight. What should I expect with say an 18gr 2400 load with the 405HB as far as sight setting and shot on target using the lower peep on the leaf? If I were to use a different powder like 3031 or 4198? Do these types of powders and boolit sight more like carbine loads out of a rifle? TIA

I don't disagree with anything listed above. I merely wish to say the 45/70 muzzle diameter was .458 . With that in mind, and perhaps 100 or less years of shooting we can guess the diameter is going to be large today. So, for about 30 years I have been loading for my 45/70 rifles and carbines as follows: cast bullets (with grease rings) at .462 diameter. 20 grains of 5744 powder. then small wad toilet tissue placed over powder and tap down with end of pencil. this keep powder directly over primer. 5744 is a smokeless powder but I only use 20 grains, not 70 grains of black powder. No 45/70 ever blew up on me. Of course I'm talking about the trapdoor........Cheers
    Last edited by 1644; 05-11-2019 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

Through the years I have check the bore size on a couple of dozen originals including two that appear to be unfired. Smallest was .461" and largest was .467" with most in the .462" - .463" range.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Find a way to lower the weight of that horrorndous trigger pull.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Through the years I have check the bore size on a couple of dozen originals including two that appear to be unfired. Smallest was .461" and largest was .467" with most in the .462" - .463" range.
    M-Tecs, these numbers reflect bore or groove measurements?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

10-11 grains unique and the softest lead bullet you can make usually gets any of these to print an acceptable group. Easy on shoulder too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12