Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Little show and tell and a question

Little show and tell and a question

So finally got out to the shop today built the screw valve for the big pot finished assembling the propane turkey torch. It still took well over 2 hours to melt most of the Stick ons that I had to melt so I’ve come up with a few things. The tank gets a skirt to keep more heat trapped by the valve which will freeze off if I don’t pay attention. Long story short how far would y’all put the burner from the bottom of the pot? the semi finished valve assembly just gotta figure the handle out.

The skirt for the pot.

The bits I wanna cut off the turkey fryer to get it closer to the pot.

And today’s earnings after I started pouring I knocked off the bit I was using to keep the timer from timing out so when the burner shut off all the sudden I just left it so I could do some modifications and feed critter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    A inch or two less than height of the tallest flame you likely will use should get you started.
    Might have better luck with a heat jacket than skirt. We use a barrel that is a few inches bigger in diameter and a little taller than pot. Then put a lid on and that really holds heat in and speeds up melting.

Quote Originally Posted by Messy bear View Post
    A inch or two less than height of the tallest flame you likely will use should get you started.
    Might have better luck with a heat jacket than skirt. We use a barrel that is a few inches bigger in diameter and a little taller than pot. Then put a lid on and that really holds heat in and speeds up melting.
    Can't get much better than that set up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy bear View Post
    ...Might have better luck with a heat jacket than skirt...
    I put together a insulated sleeve for my propane tank pot using a roll of 8" flashing, tin snips, aluminum rivets and pink fiberglass insulation. 'Taint pretty but it does the job.

I use a jet burner, so the flame licks the bottom of the pot, even turned down low.

Since I sometimes have more than 200# to melt in the pot, and don't want to add cold solid scrap to hot liquid metal (scrap stored outdoors and can get cold/wet), I've occasionally blasted the surface of the scrap in the pot with a weed burner - really cuts down the melt time.

Banned
    Careful cutting the burner stand frame, it was engineered for optimal strength. you take something away, you will need to put something back somehow to reinforce it.

with the pipe protruding from the bottom, the flame will have to be a few inches below that.
    if you set your pot over a bigger pipe and cut a hole in it for the drain pipe to stick out of you could direct the heat where you want it also heating your drain pipe. ( you will need to put a longer to clear the sides)

this picture is crude