Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: online handle/username

Boolit Master
    Parents.

Our Boston terrier. He is called skunk for obvious reasons. And are they powerful for a little dog.
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Boolit Master
    Me?

Well, I think mine is obvious what it refers to. But the path is a bit of a winding road .....

Way back when I started reading gun rags with an obsession there was Elmer .... and there was just about all the other gun writers. Elmer and very few others seemed pretty smitten on the 44 Mag cartridge. The rest of the pack weren’t.

Being a cautious sort I was brainwashed by the majority that not only was the 44 capable of blowing a criminal’s head clean off, but the shooter’s arm off in the process! As a result, I pretty much drew a line in the sand with the 357’s. I was not into handguns much anyway so it did not matter much it seemed.

Now about 1993, there were rumors about a Grizzly hangin’ around our cattle range in the mountains. That got my attention but we never saw or heard anymore about it.

Then I got to talk to some individuals I know and trust and respect very much that had a close encounter with it back then (about three years later).

Now my radar is going full tilt! So starting about ‘96, I begin pondering what defensive measure should I consider. The pondering leads me eventually back to the 44mag revolver.

I traded in my Smith 4506 for a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag. 7.5” in April of ‘97. At first I was not real fond of it, but changing the wood stocks out to the then available Uncle Mikes rubber grip and learning how to download the cartridge and adding a Smith K22 really brought things around in a big way.

Well, I found out that a 7.5” revolver was not really ideal as a self defense weapon. So a Smith Mountain gun in 44 followed me home but the Redhawk was and is kept. Later I got the bright Idea to also buy a SRH 44 in 9.5”. That SRH was intended to get pruned to 5” or so but the long sight radius was just too cool to lose.

So there were three 44 revolvers in the hands of some who had shunned the cartridge for many years!

I got on the net about then and rest is history.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 02-03-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    First 1911 I bought. 1911 Smith and Wesson in .45ac. so 1911sw45.

Boolit Grand Master

39 years as the pattern and mold maker for a plastics mfg.
    mm
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I was a professional wildlife photographer for 20 years and named myself after a photo of a wolf I captured. This photo was my
    most popular image with customers and generated many sales for me.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    My granddaughters
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Bedbugbilly - I performed "first person/living history" programs for close to 40 years. I traveled all over MI - schools, colleges, festivals, museums, etc. - had a number of Civil War, early Michigan History programs - one program I did for many years was "Daylight In The Swamp" - the story of life in an early Michigan lumber camp. Bedbugbilly was my "persona" for that particular program -

Good lucky number and the address of my body shop. All retired in 2009 and living the dream
    with family.
    Thanks 16s

Boolit Master

I have an appreciation for the South Texas border country, being from the Rio Grande Valley. In the 19th century, the land between the Rio Grande and Nueces Rivers was called the Nueces Strip, generally a lawless part of the state eventually tamed by the early Texas Rangers. Sometimes it was called the Wild Horse Desert. Considerable of that old time "independence" remains in the culture of the area. Years ago, heading south on State Highway 16, there was a sign reading "Welcome to the FREE STATE of McMullen County." The Nueces flows through there. The county has no more than 1000 residents and is the richest county in Texas - oil, gas, gravel.

In the middle of the eastern end of the Strip are the King and Armstrong ranches. Armstrong is a family name and I killed my first deer there.

I flew F-100s, F-4s and F-16s for the Texas Air Guard at Kelly in San Antonio and for the Air Force Reserve at Bergstrom in Austin. Our gunnery range was south of San Antonio in McMullen County and near the Nueces River. Some of our high speed low level waypoints were river crossings.

J Frank Dobie's stories sometimes featured references to the Nueces country. It always calls up Comanches and hidden Spanish silver for me, and dark, dark nights such that you can see stars down to the horizon.

Like other Texas place names, it's pronunciation is not obvious unless you grew up in Texas or can speak Spanish. It's "New-aces".

Named after the fiery hot beans the "cook" at a local M/C club would make when he roasted a hog. I got his recipe 25 years ago and i have been making my version of bikerbeans for deer camp and get togethers ever since.

BB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Like other Texas place names, it's pronunciation is not obvious unless you grew up in Texas or can speak Spanish. It's "New-aces".
    More like "new eses", which means "Nuts" in Spanish.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I love hearing you guy's stories....reminds me of Paul Harvey and "The rest of the story". Some really great stuff here.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I too have enjoyed this thread quite a bit.

Boolit Master

472x1B/A It's a military thing. Was my AFSC while in the Air Force. I was a special purpose vehicle mechanic, as in aircraft fuel servicing trucks ( B ) and fire trucks ( A ).
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

No clue, just popped into my mind. Got called 'red' a bunch as a kid, didn't like it. Yea,my kids are redheads. 'Hey you' was the other 'name' I responded to.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    No clue, just popped into my mind. Got called 'red' a bunch as a kid, didn't like it. Yea,my kids are redheads. 'Hey you' was the other 'name' I responded to.
    hahaha....I respond to all sorts of names too...I'm married.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    My sister hung gunslinger on me when I got my first gun as a kid. 1911 is my favorite platform.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master

Bunch of random letters and numbers.

Boolit Master
    Seems like I tried to build some shelves once upon a time.Was a complete bust.That is until my Dad got involved.Thank God for small favors.I do much better now.This is a neat thread.Thanks to all for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast