RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: online handle/username

My wife and I were very involved with Cowboy Action Shooting for many years and my alias was "Reverend Al" while hers was "Temperance Tilly" ... our "alter egos" were "Revelry Al" and "Temptress Tilly" ... (all in good fun) ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    the local gun shop/smith hung my name on me, at the time I was looking for a way to be able shoot 410 shotgun and not always be dealing with burned up plastic hulls, I was kidding around and said too bad there weren't brass 410 hulls available. That night I was schooled on the merits of fire forming 303 and 9.3x74 right there in the shop, cost was box of donuts and large double double. Since known as Brass410

In Remembrance

Was always curious about casting my own bullets so when I joined here I wanted a simple user name, Lead as what I wanted to know about and 1 for only one caliber I was interested in. Well that changed as I do at least eight now, it's addicting.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Perversion of my first Email to imply deer hunter as in red stag .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Let's go shooting and see if you find any of your brass.

Boolit Master
    Nice thread, I am a boring sort, last names King and I like 22 rimfires. Sometimes use rkingk75, rode a BMW K75 for 25 years!
    Really enjoying everyone's stories.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I needed a online handle for the game Delta Force 2 in 1998. I've been MrHarmless in every game since.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

I'm a Patriot, from Ohio.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    First name and first letter of last name, easy for an old guy to remember.
    Same here.
    John D

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Years ago, I got my wife a personalized license plate for her birthday. She decided to return the favor to me, on Father's day, and asked me what I wanted. I told her I love hunting, and shooting, and most anything outdoors, but I wouldn't want to narrow it down to just one thing, so I was stumped. She said I was obsessed with all of it - I couldn't seem to do any of it just a little!
    Well, obsessed wouldn't fit the 5 digit maximum that Idaho had for it's personalized plates, so I shortened it to obssd. 1958 was added for my handle here, because it's an amazing year in history for me (bein's I was born then!).

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

This is an interesting and entertaining thread, and because I read all of the stories posted so far, and hope to read many more, I figured I owed it to all of you to explain mine. It is probably one of the more complicated "handles" to fully understand, so if this gets lengthy please bear with me.

O.K. then, the name is obviously German in origin. "Der" means "The", "Gebirgs" are "mountains", and "jager" is "hunter". Therefore, The Mountain Hunter. I was raised in the Sierra Nevada Mountain foothills where I became an avid deer hunter.

However, my father (at age 6) and his mother emigrated from Germany to the U.S.A. in 1923. My paternal grandfather was in the Kaiser's army, but a year or two after the war they divorced. Although I was born in the U.S.A. in 1942, I have a Germanic heritage/connection. My father served in the 3rd Division, U.S. Army, in the 1930s, and 30 years later I served in the same division, renamed the 3rd Infantry Division during WW II, in the early 1960s.

In the Europe of a couple of hundred years ago the shoulder weapons were smooth bore, just like here. But the hunters who lived in the mountains developed rifling which resulted in greater range and accuracy. These "jagers" were in high demand for military service, and they specialized in mountain warfare since that was where they were from and what they best knew. Eventually regiments were formed consisting solely of hunters and their rifled weapons, and they were known as Gebirgsjagers. They were really no different than a Marine Recon or an Army Ranger, in that they were just a certain type of soldier with a certain specialty. They were considered an elite corps because of their weapons and mountain skills, and being a Gebirgsjager in WW II no more guaranteed that one was a member of the NAZI party than being a Marine guarantees that you are a Democrat/Republican/whatever. Their symbol was, and still is, the eidelweiss flower which grows high in the Alps near the snow line. It is said that only the best soldiers will climb that high to pick one to wear in their hats. At age 76 I'll just have to settle for the wish that I could do so, and admiration for those who can.

So, for me, the name which really has two meanings, seemed to fit. I used it for 30 years as my trade name in the gunsmithing business. I am of Germanic heritage, grew up in the mountains, learned to hunt, and served in the Army Infantry stationed in Germany. Over the years the name became part of me, and I'm not at all reluctant to use it as my handle, as I doubt if I could come up with anything else anyway. There is a lesson here, in that one should always listen to the counsel of their wife. Mine told me, "Why don't you name your business something like 'The Silver Possum Gunshop', since you're grey and kind of look like one. No one will be able to pronounce it or spell Der Gebirgsjager." She was right about that........but George Jones was already known as "The Possum".

I know the name is hard to spell, harder to pronounce, so I've encouraged everyone to call me "DG". I've intended to sign my posts as DG, but just seem to forget.

Thanks for sharing all of your stories, and there's mine.

Thanks for sharing that DG. Really interesting, so is the whole thread.

Boolit Man

Family came from England to Massachusetts colony early on. One of my ancestors changed the spelling of last name from Bligh to Bly which I understand was a common practice. I was an Air Force pilot and when I made Captain people would see my nametag and ask some dumb question about Mutiny on the Bounty and Captain Bligh. My tactical callsign in some squadrons was Bounty, so I've just used the old English spelling online for many years.

Banned

mine came from my ma and dad
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    OK...out of curiosity...where did your online handle come from.

mine....redhawk0, came from the first revolver I ever purchased. a 1983 Ruger Redhawk in 44Mag.. The zero? I couldn't find any other number that wasn't taken when I first signed up on the old castpics.net site several decades ago.

share your stories.

redhawk

Boolit Master

My dad
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

dale: My first name
    2242: My birth date 2/2 /1942

Boolit Master
    I should have picked .430&H110
    Moved to North Pole 2003 and never had shot a pistol
    Found myself packing a SRH
    .429 j-words just scatter everywhere
    That SRH does not like jacketed
    So I studied everything I could, Ruger forum is no help
    referred me here
    Now I am on a gong at 100 yards with Keith boolits
    Beats me why they don't lead up the barrel
    During the drought there was no ammo in Alaska
    So when it came around I got a lot of H110
    I don't post much because all I know is what I read here.
    Elsewhere on the interweb is a lot of weird ideas about reloading
    Presently hanging out in Arizona, Alaska winters hurt my hands
    Arizona in February is a treat
    Thanks for the Forum!

Boolit Master

Calamity Jane is in my family tree, my CASS alisis also.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    dale: My first name
    2242: My birth date 2/2 /1942
    Happy belated....a groundhog's day baby huh? hahaha

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    I should have picked .430&H110
    Moved to North Pole 2003!
    I've been there. Its an interesting place with the huge candy canes everyplace. The wife and I took an AK vacation 7 years ago. The Fairbanks area is beautiful.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast