Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presses and powder measures

Boolit Buddy

Presses and powder measures

Picked up this lot today. All Looks to be in good shape, maybe a few missing parts.

Besides the Dillon, which of these are best candidates for putting back into service?

I’m specifically looking for info on the Lyman turret press and the Dillon 450 to 550 conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 0802; 02-02-2019 at 07:34 PM.

That turret looks like the press linkage could be reversed making it a good candidate for an upside down sizing press with a whole battery of sizing dies mtd. in the turret.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Presses and powder measures

The Dillon has the 550 frame conversion. That’s a shame because I like the solid 450 frame. But I also have a 550 w/ tool heads. Pretty sure you can upgrade the primer system if you wanted to. You can use one of their automatic measures w/ springs if you can’t install the safety rod. I prefer the measure w/ the springs as the rod makes it clunky.

Do you have the manual Dillon powder measure? The manual powder measure and primer feeder are parts that some people seek out.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the pictures. That is a very nice haul. pm sent. james

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t have the manual powder measure for the Dillon, everything I got is pictured.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one of those herters piwder measures its a good measure a little harder to set but works well

Moderator Emeritus

Bion, MY pick to return to service is the SPARTAN!!! I have one of these I initially picked up to be my dedicated decapping station -- used nothing except for that, equipped with a RCBS Universal decap die. However, I replaced it with an equally old Pacific press, when I discovered the beauty of using the Spartan for loading teeny calibers: the .25acp and .32 auto. It's design is such that it afford plenty of "finger room" for loading these; and, it's cast construction permits approaching-zero flexing of any part of it. A prime example, imho, how higher quality presses were made in the old days . Yup -- this would be my first choice!
    geo

Boolit Master
    another vote for the Spartan. Looks like all it needs is dies and a shellholder. I also use mine for minimum leverage jobs like bullet seating for bottleneck cartridges and the entire loading process for pistol ammo. Mine is about 50 years old and still going strong.

The MEC shotshell loader may be complete too. You can use the MEC bottle for shot and dispense powder with a measure. It doesn't slow the process all that much; I've done it many times when I didn't have a bushing for the powder charge I wanted.

Another vote here for the Spartan. It surprised me how much I ended up enjoying using it. The clearance makes it a joy. I use mine a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The Dillon has the 550 frame conversion. That’s a shame because I like the solid 450 frame. But I also have a 550 w/ tool heads. Pretty sure you can upgrade the primer system if you wanted to. You can use one of their automatic measures w/ springs if you can’t install the safety rod. I prefer the measure w/ the springs as the rod makes it clunky.

Do you have the manual Dillon powder measure? The manual powder measure and primer feeder are parts that some people seek out.
    As pointed out you have the 550 frame and the 450 other parts. Other than the slide out tool head the other features that make it a 550 are the automatic priming system and automatic powder system. Both can be found on Dillon's site. I just installed the automatic powder measure on my 450. It was really easy to do and they give you everything. Mine already had the automatic primer feeder on it. If that is a feature you're looking for you could sell your manual one and put it toward the automatic system.

You’ve picked up some nice equipment there. Over the years I’ve used the 450 and eventually upgraded to the 550 Dillon powder measures on my Lyman turret presses. The 550 units are great, lift the ram and drop your powder. Very accurate throws.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have that same upgraded Dillon 450 ->550 that my Dad left me. He upgraded the 450 as far as it would go, then ordered the conversion frame and Voila! just like Johnnie Cash’s Cadillac, “one piece at a time” he had gotten the object of his desires. I still have all the take-off parts in the cabinet and have thought of completing a single caliber build in, say, 327 Fed Mag or some such just to use them up.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    What brand is the swagging press?

Boolit Bub
    I vote for the Lyman. Most versitile, had Dillon once never got used to the hand routine

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I don't believe I've ever heard of the ".38 supper" cartridge. Is that something that requires eating a full meal before reloading?

Kidding of course..........everyone KNOWS it's spelled ".38 souper"..........

Boolit Buddy
    Getting the 450/550 back in action.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    Auto eject and UFO light.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    And done.

Except I now realize I’m missing a spent primer catcher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast