Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venison meatloaf by default...

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    No, burning but a little crunchy on the edges where it touched the pan. Kinda like a meat pizza crust..
    Good job.

Here, we call those crunchy edges 'bark'.

Lots of folks figure its the best part.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

probably good you used a thin 2 inch pan or I doubt all that water would have been cooked out of it in an hour. You would have ended up with burnt top and raw insides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Yep, don't own any bread pans and never made meat loaf before. I grabbed one of my pie pans and hoped for the best. I was afraid I'd burn it because the loaf was only around 2" thick at max. No, burning but a little crunchy on the edges where it touched the pan. Kinda like a meat pizza crust.

Normally when I eat venison it cleans me out most the time...pretty quickly alo F with a stomach ache before hand letting me know the end is near. But after doing the salt water/vinegar soak that draws the blood out I have no issues. The vinegar kills any bacteria as well and brakes down enzymes in the meat making it tender.

Banned

I guess im one that doesn't understand the "GAMEY" taste thing. I want my venison to taste like venison. Not some generic beef taste. For what it cost to go out and shoot a deer and end up with only 30-40 lbs of meat if I wanted beef it would probably be cheaper to buy beef. I shoot MANY deer every year and when I butcher it I cut out all the connecting tissue (unless its burger meat) and anything that may have contacted guts is trimmed off. Ive never had wild or strong tasting meat doing that. If you saw what they put in store bought hamburger you probably would never buy another lb if your that fussy. We used to shoot a buffalo every year and got all my burger that way. Switch from buffalo burger or even venison burger after eating it for 6 months to store bought burger and THEN you will taste GAMEY meat. Taste like its spoiled and you will even notice the smell when your cooking it if you been using good fresh burger you did yourself. If I had to hide the flavor of my venison id give it away. A good healthy deer is best tasting meat if you ask me other then caribou or fallow deer. Don't get me wrong. I love a GOOD beef steak like a tenderloin or ribeye but anymore there out of my price range. But burger? Id take venison over beef any day. Want it to taste just like beef (fresh beef) hamburger. Ask your butcher for some beef fat and mix in 10 percent fat with your venison. probably even better tasting because like I said unless your buying your burger from a know butcher youd be shocked whats in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12