Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for Beeswax?

Boolit Master
    Let's just give some thought to the use of capping wax before this thread gets too far along. Remember that any moisture you press under the surface of melted alloy will turn to steam very quickly. So use some care when adding this trashy wax with bee parts and whatever else the girls might have drug into the hive. If it is hissing and popping, you do not want to stir things up but step back and look away, quickly! I have had one experience with "caps" and there was a lot of living stuff still in the mix since it was fresh. At that point I was not using it for flux, but trying to refine it to use the beeswax for mixing as a bullet lube. It was a "learning experience", but worth the time and effort. Just stressing that you do need to use some caution when using caps as a flux in melted alloy. Dusty

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Beeswax is getting harder to find and more expensive. When I melt lead scrap to make ingots, I don’t add beeswax. Normally sawdust or anything that turns to carbon will work. Once when my sawdust got wet, I used Quaker Oats. I save beeswax for the casting pot or boolit lubes.

Bulk apothecary is about as cheap as I have seen: https://www.bulkapothecary.com/produ...ax%20-%20Broad

Find a local beekeeper. I am a hobbyist beekeeper and I can tell you that I don't usually get more than 3 or 4 pounds a year.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Bub
    Isn't the wax sealing ring you buy for setting toilets made of bees wax? Pretty cheap at Home Depot

"Modern wax rings are made of vegetable and petroleum waxes, with polyurethane additives."
    http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworki...x-toilet-ring/

BREAK BREAK
    is RandyRat still available as a source of beeswax ?
    Last edited by mehavey; 02-03-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Boolit Master

I googled a local bee keeper. Apiary is what what a bee keeper is called. Gave them a call and un refined is 5 bucks a pound.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

RandyRat was where I got mine. I saved a few pounds out and gave the rest to the Mrs. for candles and homemade wood polish. Randy had great prices and was a good guy to deal with
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I googled a local bee keeper. Apiary is what what a bee keeper is called. Gave them a call and un refined is 5 bucks a pound.
    It depends on the area. Some folks will give it to you and some folks think a box of fresh cut cappings is worth $10/lb.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    A handful of old candles can be had at the flea market or thrift store for a couple bucks. I use the real beeswax candles for getting rid of stink from rotting wood or critters. They're antiviral and antibacterial which makes the stink.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    RandyRat was where I got mine. I saved a few pounds out and gave the rest to the Mrs. for candles and homemade wood polish. Randy had great prices and was a good guy to deal with
    If your Mrs. is making candles, she can add rendered fat. Lamb fat was considered the best, but all other fats were used in the past. Beeswax was added to harden the fat so it would stand up straight at normal temperatures. With the price of beeswax going up, it can help make candle making less expensive, just as it did centuries ago.

Boolit Bub
    A good source of Beeswax for me has been local farmers Markets
    My preference for fluxing has been dry sawdust.