Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: New Lyman offerings?

Boolit Buddy

New Lyman offerings?

I was on the Midway site and noticed that they has the 358439 HP and 429303 molds listed as coming soon, not sure if this news, but it caught my eye. I then checked the Lyman site and there is no mention of them that I could find. I don't think the Lyman site is the most user friendly anyway, so I didn't spend a lot of time looking. I'm not really in the market for either mold, but if it happens, its nice to see the older ones brought back again. Maybe this was announced at the Shot Show? It also may explain a few of the recent postings on EB on those, as both have been selling fairly high. Thought I'd pass it along for those looking - Bill in MA

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow.. a new 429303? That would be pretty cool to see that running around again. I sold mine to fund another project, but it was a fun boolit, and never failed to impress the kids...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    Why would anyone buy a Lyman mold when NOE and Accurate are so, so much better ?

Iron molds. I like iron better than brass or aluminum

Boolit Master

Well baileyboy... for me casting with the 159HP is something I enjoy. I only make a 100 or so each winter to keep around for critters and it is just a different process. While I agree with you statement, the moulds are not exact copies and new loads would need to be worked up. I do the FN 358160 and 2 different weights of the FN 40's from NOE, but I do not enjoy casting with the RG pins and it would have been great if the 358 was a SWC with HP's. I also get better bullets with iron moulds than I do with aluminum moulds.

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Iron molds. I like iron better than brass or aluminum
    Tom at Accurate makes beautiful iron molds.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Tom at Accurate makes beautiful iron molds.
    For a significantly higher price than Lyman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    For a significantly higher price than Lyman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    And also a much higher level of quality......buy once, cry once
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Grand Master

"For a significantly higher price than Lyman" and worth every penny! My last couple of Lyman moulds were disappointments. I do like my old Lyman moulds but from what I have seen and read more recently their quality has gone downhill bunches.

I like iron moulds but Lyman is off my buy list. I'll stick with Accurate, NOE or Mihec preferably in brass (only Accurate does iron) but I'd take aluminum in any of them before buying a Lyman mould again.

YMMV

Longbow

Boolit Master

Yea, Lyman's starter set. Buy the mold then have to lap it out to drop the specified diameter. Rather spend the money on a custom mold that will drop at a nice diameter then having to send the mold back 2 or 3 times then end up lapping it out because your tired of returning it.

What was that up above, Oh, a previous Lyman customer obviously. By once and cry once.

In Remembrance

The LAST new manfactured Lyman mold, #314299, had the 2 cavities oval shaped! I contacted Lyman about this and asked what they would do about it. I was asked to make up 6 boolets using #2 alloy and send them and the mold back. About 6 weeks later I got the mold back and the cavaties had been bored out both round and dropping boolets now at .314". They returned my samples that had many felt pen marks on them as well as 4 new boolets from the reworked mold. I haven`t wasted my time even looking at a Lyman mold chart since then, 4 years ago, when there are so many other makers that do a much better job and offer more selection.Robert

My last two 4 cavity moulds 429421 and 429215 have been fine both dropping about 431 with my alloy.accurate shooting after sizing and they appear round. Good enough for me anyway. I have several moulds from noe, accurate,Mihec ,rcbs that are fine as well. I may not not be as picky as some but what matters is how they shoot