Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Some experience with the mold Lee 90346?

Some experience with the mold Lee 90346?

Hello everyone, I have already learned that before buying a mold, I must measure with a slug the barrel of my weapon. I have a Colt System, an Argentine pistol clone of a 1911 A1. With a few shots under his belt.
    Beyond that, they offer me a mold Lee for 45 cal, the number 90346. I do not know what that particular boolit is like, but before buying it I prefer to know what opinion they have, is it worth it?
    Hernan

Boolit Master

That is a good choice if you intend to tumble lube your bullets.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I used the standard lube groove version of the 2R in my XD. It functioned and shot as well as the 1R, TC, and my Lyman 452374 45 acp boolits. My favorite was the Lee 230gr TC.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

From the Lee catalog that looks to be a round nose bullet that duplicates the standard round jacketed bullet.
    It has shallow grooves for tumble lube with a product like Lee's liquid alox. A good lube at 45ACP velocities.
    You can also powder coat them.
    Leo

The mold was badly damaged, so do not buy it, thank you

I kinda like that cast, I use them PC'd. Run them at 842FPS out of my Kimber...no problems.
    This is it, on the left is a standard FMJ clone...to the right is the one your asking about.

Here they are reversed...

Seat them down to where just a fingernail thickness of that shoulder is above the case and they'll prolly go into battery just fine.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I think it's the most common type of boolit in .45 and it does not have any problems working. I have had some problems with my old gun with hollow points and TC.

I have used that boolit, a round nose design from NOE, and the Lyman 452374. Of them all, the Lyman performed the best in my pistols. Not by much, but there was a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have used that boolit, a round nose design from NOE, and the Lyman 452374. Of them all, the Lyman performed the best in my pistols. Not by much, but there was a difference.
    I'm glad you mentioned the 452374...it's the current cast I'm using and I too think there's a slight advantage in that profile. I'm not a good enough pistoleer to really see it but I suspect it is the best.

I've been using up all my practice stash in the Lee TL SWC's & the TL RN's so I can get my cases loaded with the Lyman RN. Another nice thing is that you don't have that TL front drive band to deal with...I call it the shoulder and if seated too far out it will interfere with going into battery fully.
    The TL SWC makes the nicest of holes between the three and the TL RN cast like a house a fire out of that 6 cavity mould but I still am going with the little 2 cavity 452374 because I just suspect it's a better all round - round.

The SWC I have settled on for the 45ACP is the Lyman 452460. I have others from Lee and Lyman. but this one works for me in all my pistols and is quite accurate.

Boolit Master

I believe the -374 accurately clones the original hardball bullet - looks that way to me, anyway. But I load the -460 - works in my guns...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

The LYMAN #452374 is a copy of the original FMC military loading. Seat it to the same O.A.L (1.272) as the Hardball Load over any of a dozen powders that will give you 850fps and it will feed in ANY decent .45 ACP pistol.

The # 452460 is a stubby wadcutter that will Not feed in a 1911 type pistol that isn't ramped & throated or has a proper feed ramp. The old H&G 68 was designed to feed in ANY 1911 type bbl regardless of feed ramp profile.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    The LYMAN #452374 is a copy of the original FMC military loading. Seat it to the same O.A.L (1.272) as the Hardball Load over any of a dozen powders that will give you 850fps and it will feed in ANY decent .45 ACP pistol.

The # 452460 is a stubby wadcutter that will Not feed in a 1911 type pistol that isn't ramped & throated or has a proper feed ramp. The old H&G 68 was designed to feed in ANY 1911 type bbl regardless of feed ramp profile.
    None of my 45ACP 1911 pistols have ramped barrels. That 452460 feeds fine in all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post

Good info...I suspected that the 374 was a clone of the FMJ that this pistol was designed to use.