Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avoiding Oil Contamination of PC Bullets

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Itzdapig;4577813]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post

I used the spray this morning on a lee 120 TC mold that i was having trouble getting them out of and it worked great, they practically fall out now. measuring right after dropping I am not seeing any measureable difference than before coating. I sprayed the entire inside and top of the mold using very light misting untill coated. I think you could easily get to much on if you spray it like paint though!
    Not sure if it effects PC, will let you know.
    I have used graphite applied by pencil in my cavities and on mold surfaces for years to keep these small lead deposits from sticking, so I know that graphite is no problem with PC. I can't see how the spray would be any different as it appears to have acetone as a carrier, which quickly evaporates and leaves the lightly bonded powder. This spray stuff can be brushed off with a toothbrush and still a very light color remains. I am now wondering how well the graphite spray would work by coating the entire mold for storage? I plan to give that a try, if it works a mold could be ready to cast by simply brushing off the surfaces.

Glad it worked for you.

Dragonheart,
    I got the spray and cast 35# of Lee 120 TC 9s and NOE 314202 bullets. I have a 5 cavity NOE mold that has given me fits but the spray resulted in both molds raining bullets yielding about 1000 of each variety. They fell out of the mold with ease increased production rates. Very pleased and I will power coat the 9s tomorrow.

I discovered that sprue smear was easily wiped away with my glove, a real win for aluminum molds.

Attachment 236784Attachment 236785

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JMax View Post
    Dragonheart,
    I got the spray and cast 35# of Lee 120 TC 9s and NOE 314202 bullets. I have a 5 cavity NOE mold that has given me fits but the spray resulted in both molds raining bullets yielding about 1000 of each variety. They fell out of the mold with ease increased production rates. Very pleased and I will power coat the 9s tomorrow.

I discovered that sprue smear was easily wiped away with my glove, a real win for aluminum molds.

Attachment 236784Attachment 236785
    htt

You didn't mention the bullets look teriffic!

Dragonheart, I was very pleased with the bullets appearance. I finished coating the 9s with no difference that I can detect so all of my molds will get the spray. Extremely happy all the around and thanks for the information you posted.

Using graphite is a godsend compared to trying that dab of synthetic oil trick. I haven't been using it on the block faces. But for the sprue plate and mould tops, wow! I can't believe this isn't the known standard.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Using graphite is a godsend compared to trying that dab of synthetic oil trick. I haven't been using it on the block faces. But for the sprue plate and mould tops, wow! I can't believe this isn't the known standard.
    A light spray of liquid spray graphite on you molds will dry immediately and doesn't cook off. Your bullets will drop out of the mold so fast they might miss the tray. However, the graphite is getting harder to find .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12