RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos of good ovens thread

Boolit Mold

Photos of good ovens thread

Oh no, another newbie starting another oven thread. This is different.

I've been casting off and on for 30 years and with some problems I'm having, I'm getting into PC. I just bought 3 pounds of powder from PBTP as I have a lot of soft lead I hope I can get to shoot well without leading up my barrels like my 45/45/10 is doing to me. I've been doing a lot of reading here on what ovens work pretty well going back 6 years or more.

Many say they are using a "convection oven brand x" and no model number nor photo so that isn't enough detail to know what models work well for a newb. The big brands each sell up to 10 different convection ovens (some good/some bad). Some of these ovens stay in production a long time. A photo is better than a model number as it is easier to look at the models listed on walmart, target, Amazon, etc and match the photos. A model number would be a help as we can look up that model to find a photo. Sometimes you can find the same oven with a different brand (like Mainstay or other store brand) and that's where the photos of your good ovens are helpful as most of them are coming from China.

Photos will be helpful too for those that have the luxury of going to Goodwill or other thrift stores.

If you have an oven that works really well, can you take a photo and reply to this thread and state briefly why you really like your oven?

Is this one of the ones that are good? It's a Hamilton Beach 31101. I'd like to do some production at times so a larger one seems good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HB 311xx.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	273107

What does a 3 rack one that works well look like?

Banned
    Hamilton Beach 31101 cheaper here

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-...mpaign_id=9383

Hamilton Beach 31331 Convection Toaster Oven has been a good oven

Boolit Master

just about any convection oven will work fine. the convection part is the key to not having melted boolits.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Conditor22. The link you have is of the same model as my photo above.

Banned
    IF you want to do large volumes, check into a kitchen-sized convection oven or get several countertop convection ovens from thrift stores. I score two decent 2 shelf convection ovens for <$20 each in thrift stores.

That 2 shelf oven you're looking at should handle all you want to make and bake, it should do 2 7# trays at a time

Boolit Master
    Check wattage.

My "toaster oven" is 800 Watts and I don't bake in it. I pre-warm things on top on it , dry washed bullets in there etc. I failed coating with it right in the beginning, even four pounds overload it with bad results that take a long time to keep up to temp. Underbaked coatings. It has a fan but "convection" is something else.

Should have known better.

I then got a proper 2000 Watt kitchen wall oven s/h. Happy ever since. It has three blowers to keep temp. It's about four times the size of that convection oven.

Good oven here in the pic.

Get one of these...

to avoid this...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

My Hamilton easy reach was something like $6 in a thrift store, it's temperature is stable... no over-swing (call it what you want but it does not melt bullets) the timer is accurate though I bake a timed 30 minutes anyway, and it has two tray locations so I can do a lot more baking in an hour.

For some reason I keep getting "hamilton_easy_reach.jpg: Upload of file failed" So sorry no pix.
    Regards,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by bearhawk View Post
    Oh no, another newbie starting another oven thread. This is different.

I've been casting off and on for 30 years and with some problems I'm having, I'm getting into PC. I just bought 3 pounds of powder from PBTP as I have a lot of soft lead I hope I can get to shoot well without leading up my barrels like my 45/45/10 is doing to me. I've been doing a lot of reading here on what ovens work pretty well going back 6 years or more.

Many say they are using a "convection oven brand x" and no model number nor photo so that isn't enough detail to know what models work well for a newb. The big brands each sell up to 10 different convection ovens (some good/some bad). Some of these ovens stay in production a long time. A photo is better than a model number as it is easier to look at the models listed on walmart, target, Amazon, etc and match the photos. A model number would be a help as we can look up that model to find a photo. Sometimes you can find the same oven with a different brand (like Mainstay or other store brand) and that's where the photos of your good ovens are helpful as most of them are coming from China.

Photos will be helpful too for those that have the luxury of going to Goodwill or other thrift stores.

If you have an oven that works really well, can you take a photo and reply to this thread and state briefly why you really like your oven?

Is this one of the ones that are good? It's a Hamilton Beach 31101. I'd like to do some production at times so a larger one seems good.

Name:	HB 311xx.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	273107

What does a 3 rack one that works well look like?
    That is exactly the oven I have, works great but you do need an oven therm. The dial is off by 25deg on mine. I like the double racks, lets me do 600/9mm at a time if I want.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned
    My old (and still working great) Hamilton Beach 31331 Convection Toaster Oven.

I added a "heat sink (ceramic BBQ briquettes {you can use lava rock, fire brick, glass, --anything that will hold heat}) so the oven recovers faster after being open

and now a PID (top one, bottom one controls my casting pot. Notice the state of the art cardboard deflector shield to funnel the smoke into the vent fan )with a green switch to turn the fan on/off

Boolit Grand Master
    I picked a no name toaster oven out of the neighbor's trash and it has worked well for me.

Boolit Mold
    I have an Avantco 1/4 sized convection oven for Hi-Tek. I bought extra trays so I can do multiple batches in one sitting.

I typically run 5lbs per tray and 2 trays at a time but also been successful running (3) 5lb trays or (2) 7.5lb trays at once.

It’s a bit pricey but holds temp very well without a PID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    The pics are sure a help. Keep them coming if you have an oven that works well.

I use the same but have it hooked up to my PID controller

https://youtu.be/0wZWlnCHimA at the 14:40 minute mark
    Last edited by Retumbo; 12-22-2020 at 10:41 AM.

If I ever have to replace the old clunker analogue convection oven I have, I'd surely get one with the digital controls and temp. readout.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    just about any convection oven will work fine. the convection part is the key to not having melted boolits.
    Sorry, but that is just not an accurate statement. Convection is definitely the way to go, but I have a Black & Decker Convection with a fast heating quartz element purchased NEW and it is worthless for cooking PC. First it won't get above 380 F. degrees and then when it does the temp wanders within 50 F. degrees. So all ovens whether convection or not are not created equal.

Boolit Master
    My first oven donated to the cause by my wife in 2012. A Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection oven, still going strong after tens of thousands of cooked bullets. Note: the additional racks I made by cutting down wire racks obtained at the Goodwill Store, then wrapping with metal roof flashing front to back leaving a flat surface. I cut silicon baking mats to fit for a non-stick reusable cooking surface. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1764_1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	273831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old 2012 oven.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	273832 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1501_1.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	273837

My second HB Countertop convection purchased at the Goodwill Store New for $20. I made additional racks for this one also. It's a little wider than the old one.

Name:	IMG_20181210_090553887_1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	273833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newest HB oven.jpg 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	273834

My last oven free from a neighbor a 30" 220V. wall oven that the all digital board was out. So I installed a PID added extra cooling fans, timer, lights, switches, etc. I probably have close to $100 invested. but I use it mainly to PC other things or when I want to do thousands of bullets. I built extra racks so it has 5.

Name:	SAM_2265.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	273835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2266.jpg 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	273836

Boolit Master
    https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...ns/bov800.html

This is what I have. The only mods are that I have three racks in it, with the top and bottom ones holding about ten pounds of reject bullets on mesh stainless steel. They act as diffusers to cut down overheating from radiant heat and double as a heat sink.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    My first oven donated to the cause by my wife in 2012. A Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection oven, still going strong after tens of thousands of cooked bullets. Note: the additional racks I made by cutting down wire racks obtained at the Goodwill Store, then wrapping with metal roof flashing front to back leaving a flat surface. I cut silicon baking mats to fit for a non-stick reusable cooking surface. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1764_1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	273831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old 2012 oven.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	273832 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1501_1.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	273837

My second HB Countertop convection purchased at the Goodwill Store New for $20. I made additional racks for this one also. It's a little wider than the old one.

Name:	IMG_20181210_090553887_1.jpg 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	273833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newest HB oven.jpg 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	273834

My last oven free from a neighbor a 30" 220V. wall oven that the all digital board was out. So I installed a PID added extra cooling fans, timer, lights, switches, etc. I probably have close to $100 invested. but I use it mainly to PC other things or when I want to do thousands of bullets. I built extra racks so it has 5.

Name:	SAM_2265.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	273835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2266.jpg 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	273836
    Nice looking setup for doing pounds an pounds at once. Now that's doing it the economic and efficient way. Good ole Katy Texas, Today's home of Academy. I remember when the store was just a small hole in the wall place in a strip center just down from a pop-eyes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Mold
    I took the plunge. I was down to 2 different ovens, the HB 31101D (old school controls) and the Oster TSSTTVDGXL (has a PID type control from the factory). I live in rural WY so going to thrift stores would cost more in gas than just buying a new oven online and getting it delivered. Santa brought this one:

Name:	31101D.jpg 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	273995

Hamilton Beach Black Countertop Oven with Convection & Rotisserie, Model# 31101D

Yesterday afternoon and this morning I've PC'd a bit over 2000, 170gr .40 of my cast boolits. According to the Taylor mercury thermometer a setting of about 380F fluctuates between 390-405F. I am very happy with this combination so far and it didn't break the bank. I am also using 6 (2 3-packs) wire mesh organizer baskets 6"x12" from Amazon (just like the 6"x9" from BB&B but bigger). I can load up 4 baskets and bake them all at the same time and use the other two to sift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast