RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What rifle cases does everyone use?

What rifle cases does everyone use?

For trips to the range and such, what kind of cases do y'all like? I have a couple Allen soft cases that I use, one is vintage I got cheap at a pawn shop and the other came from Academy for ten bucks and fits my 870 perfectly. Then I have an American Mountain Supply case that I bought sized to fit my 30-30. It's hard to find a case that ain't too long. Those cheap Allens and that AMS are made in the USA. The AMS wasn't cheap at around 40 shipped but it's excellent quality and has a pocket on the side for small items or ammo.

I need a case for my new savage 110, but it's 43" and all the cases I've seen are 46" or 48". I'm very happy with the American Mountain Supply case but I'm also wondering what else is available.

Bazoo

I started with long hard cases (Pair of Mosin's) but quickly switched over to Allen soft cases.
    I think the ones I got were designed for AR's, but they work well for most of my guns.

If the gun is only 3-4 inches shorter than the case I don't sweat that. A foot and I'd look for something shorter.

I got some very similar cases but I don't remember the maker from a local store on special. 25$ish. The allen's I am sure I ordered from Amazon. I like the zippered ammo storage on the side. I may not fill it, but each rifle will have at least some ammo there for instant use if it is ever needed.

The soft cases are IMO easier to get in and out of doors and around corners.

Boolit Master
    Have several brands of soft cases. Allen, Browning, Kolpin and the one the CMP sells. They all work okay but the ones from the CMP are the best in terms of material and workmanship and will fit any rifle with barrels up to 24 inches (sized for M1 and 1903/1903A3/A4). They also listed a shorter case for carbines but I have no first hand knowledge of those.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a problem with a lot of cases and my BPCR rifles. With a 34" barrel the case isn't long enough a lot of the time. On a range during a match where Im hauling gear to and from I use a heavy canvas soft case with shoulder strap. it works for my match rifles and service rifles and frees my hands up for other gear. Traveling and in vehicles I use a hard case here the inexpensive plano air glides have become a favorite for me. The rifle is held up right in foam vees and strapped down no pressures or stress on rifle sights or scope. Secure and a good seal from water. They balance well with a heavy rifle in them also. I have several single and double cases that are good but the foam and pinch type securing puts stress on sights and scopes. My one sharps with 34" barrel needs to go in a double case caty cornered to fit. It wont fit in the air glides. My Hepburn with 34" barrel just fits if I remove the removable recoil pad on it. I also set my cleaning rods in the air glides next to the rifle for protection. I may buy 2 more and split so I can add 4" or so length to one for the long rifles. I would jump on an air glide set up for 2 rifles and 58" long.

Handguns I have a 5 gun Leather covered pachmeyer pistol box I really like and use a lot. It sets on a small foldable luggage carrier and can be easily rolled around. The box sets on the carrier the brass catcher and its base set next then the ammo bag and roll of targets.

I have a bunch of cases and I use just about all of them all the time.

My first case was a Kolpin soft case for my Mauser .22. I got it in 1968 and still have it. I tend to keep good things for a long time.

My second case was a Hard Case for my Sako .243. Still have it but I sold the gun which was a big mistake.

All my good shotguns live in hard cases. I most recently got two Browning Hard cases, one for an A5 with 2 barrels and a Motor chest type case for an O/U that fits my Ithaca M37 perfectly.

My good 1964 A5 has lived in it's Browning Hard Case along with it's two barrels, since 1965 when my Uncle Robert bought it. It is nearly perfect.

For soft cases I prefer Boyt's Cases.They are a little more expensive than others but the quality if there and they last very well. I generally transport long guns to and from shoots in these cases, and I have several. I also include them with my Hand Presses when I sell them.

There is two schools of thought on storing guns in cases. One says they will rust. Maybe if you live in a really humid place. I include desiccate packs in all my cases and have never had a gun rust in one. I also check all my guns in cases every 6 months or so to make sure nothing bad is happening. I store these guns in a dedicated closet in the house where there is no moisture present.

All my guns stored in cases look like new, and this is because I avoid dings and such from handling in and out of safes...

All my Tactical Guns live in soft cases which include everything needed to make them operational including Mags filled with ammo. These are stored this way so they are grab and go packages. I know if I grab one of these cases I have an operational firearm and enough ammo to put up a decent fight if needed. I feel everyone who shoots and is willing to fight has at least one gun set up this way.

Here's some pics of some cases.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I use soft cases for my shotguns and hunting 22lr rifles. For my centerfire rifles, I use hard cases with one exception. My long range/bench rest rifle travels in a soft case. It is the only case I have found, long enough to fit it.

Boolit Master
    Cheap soft cases with side pockets for general use.

Boolit Master

I have a hard shell double gun case i bought years go. They don't make them like that one anymore. It has a deer scene on it. I don't recall where i got it. Yeah it's been that long lol.

Boolit Master
    I have a soft case I generally keep my 1100 in, and my rifles are in a heavy grey hard case that my son got for me for Christmas one year from Walmart. It has 4 heavy duty latches plus 2 places to put small padlocks in. I use those for carabiners just i case the latches fail. My handguns that aren't on my side have a really nice Pelican case.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I store these guns in a dedicated closet in the house where there is no moisture present.
    There is moisture present. Just a matter of how much. Apparently it’s not enough to cause rust. Everything rusts by me. Especially guns stored in cases. Storing them inside a climate controlled home helps. But people open their windows in the shoulder seasons and that’s all it takes.

I have a bunch of different soft cases. I buy whatever is cheapest and doesn’t look like it will damage the guns. The more expensive ones are the ones I usually grab first. But I have a hard time spending good money on a case a fun will be in for maybe twenty minutes. It’s a ten minute ride each way to the the gun range. For longer trips I have hard cases. Usually just use the pelican cases I use when flying.

If I'm just making a close local trip to the range or going hunting I'll just put the gun on the back seat of the SUV , if a longer trip or I have to put it in the pack of my buddies pick up I have a couple simple plastic Plano single gun cases .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I recently bought a couple of the SKB #4900 (I think) single scoped rifle hard cases. Good quality and not real heavy like the two rifle hard cases.

Banned
    Was lucky enough to buy 5 of the heavy duty padded anti-rust foil lined Allen 48" cases before the government took all the foil for the military. They are what I transport with. For the safe, I use the anti-rust foil case you can buy on Amazon. No padding just no rust !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 11.39.52 AM.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	235177

Boolit Master

Use what ever works. I like hard cases, made a few for specific rifles. I even use a case that was for a keyboard, tough and well padded, even has a shoulder strap.
    I use a modified dewalt screw gun case for my pistols, again tough and its lockable.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Thanks for all the replies, I'm still researching all of what's listed. I forgot to mention, my guns live in their respective cases as I don't have a safe. I'd like one, but I don't have a lot of guns and their all cheaper working guns, plus we got dogs inside,and most always someone is home so we're not as likely for a burglary. One reason I like soft cases is I don't have the room to lay a hard case down to get it open near my gun bench. With the soft cases I can just unzip the last 1/3 or so and take the gun out from the end. Another thing I do is use the cases that unzip to lay flat as a mat when shooting in the field if I'm not near a table.

Again, thanks for all the replies it's nice to hear the different ways others approach the same problem.

Boolit Master

I cut the pant legs off of old blue jeans and fasten the bottom end shut. I wrap a piece of old cotton sock around the action and scope if it has one. Then slip it into the pant leg "case".
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I don't travel far with mine...so the cheap foam lined hard cases from wal-mart work perfectly fine to run across town to the range. At home, I store my firearms in the Allen Silicon impregnated gun socks though...I keep them marked on the top tag so I know what's hidden inside.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Bazoo -

Howdy !

Whenever the rifle fits, I'll opt for a Plano "Airglide".

With regards,
    357Mag

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I recently bought a couple of the SKB #4900 (I think) single scoped rifle hard cases. Good quality and not real heavy like the two rifle hard cases.
    Thanks for the info. I gave SKB a look and they are real nice. They think enough of their stuff to offer a garantee that if the airline damages your rifle while in the case they'll repair or replace it.

http://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=9&pid=34

Boyt green double gun cases are what i use to carry my rifle and sg to cas matches. Also have a nice Boyt takedown sg case. I do have 2 aluminum rifle cases but have only used them when flying to big cas matches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast