Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: ? Which .32 ACP ammo ?

Boolit Grand Master

? Which .32 ACP ammo ?

In reference to ammo only: What do you think the best defensive ammo, in .32 ACP, is? A friend asked and I just have no idea. I have no experience with this round at all. Never even fired one. I fully understand it's not a preferred caliber, but it's what he has. I can't speak to bullet weight - min or max - , best manufacturer, or even to effective range, although I would say not too far beyond arms' reach. Your thoughts, please.................................... 725

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Buffalo Bore IF your gun will feed it. Otherwise RWS or Geco 73-grain FMJ.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Leigh Defense Cavitatior ammoAttachment 237818

Boolit Grand Master

For quite a few years Secamp, North American arms, and others recommended the Winchester silver tip. There is a book available One Shot Stops that is dedicated to ammo used In shootings. Given the size of the cartridge a quick look in this and then testing in the gun for feed function and accuracy.

Boolit Master

I have carried Silvertips in my Keltec and Walther for years. They feed well and I feel they would do the job if needed.

Buffalo Bore’s 75-grain FN +P is claimed to be the most effective .32 ACP factory load, but because its overall cartridge length is very short, rim lock can happen because .32 ACP cartridges shorter than 0.94" OAL have room to move longitudinally from their “as-stacked” position in the magazine box under recoil. This causes the semi-rim of the cartridge on top to lodge behind that of the cartridge beneath it, so that the top cartridge cannot be stripped from the magazine during the feed cycle.

Because the 75-grain Buffalo Bore factory LFN load is only 0.915” long, it has serious rim lock issues and produces frequent failures to feed in some guns. This is why you must test your carry ammo, at least 50 rounds, if you get even one bobble, repeat test another 50 rounds, accept only 1 bobble in 100 rounds, if 2 or more, inspect the magazines and the gun and try another type of ammo. Longer cartridges, such as hardball have adequate nose length and a suitable profile which fits the magazine box closely and thereby prevents rounds from “shuffling in the stack” during recoil, so that rim lock then cannot occur. Hardball also provides deep penetration. Typically in soft-target penetration flat-based FMJ bullets make a 180-degree turn after 6-8" initial penetration, then continue base-first, which increases tissue crush. CIP-European ammo gives higher velocity than US produced cartridgesf.

All currently produced .32 ACP JHP rounds are of short overall length and therefore prone to the rimlock malfunction. Their lower recoil impulse compared to hardball also has a greater tendency to produce stovepipe jams and failures to feed. Furthermore, JHP rounds in which bullets are of fragile enough construction to expand from a short barrelled pistol WILL FAIL to provide adequate penetration to reach the vitals if the subject is obese, wearing heavy clothing, or if you must shoot through a defensively-positioned arm held over the sternum. Stick to hardball, unless you have a pistol which reliably feeds Buffalo Bore.

Don't stop shooting after the first shot. We aren't looking for "one-shot stops," but to quickly and accurately put double or triple taps on target in about 2 seconds. Multiple hits increase stopping power. In small personal defense handguns generating less than 200 ft.-lbs. of kinetic energy, reliable function, rapid recoil recovery to enable accurate placement of multiple hits, with adequate penetration, not less than 20” of water or 12” of gelatin, are more important than expansion. Experienced users of deep-concealment, hideaway guns agree, based on experience dating back to Fairbairn and Sykes experiences in China before WW2 continuing through the Cold War era.

ComBloc steel core PS Ball in 7.65mm Browning (.32 ACP) defeats a level IIa vest.

.32 ACP “WW2 Vintage,” Current Euro-CIP and Buffalo Bore +P Factory Ammunition

Ammunition ________________Beretta Tomcat 2.4”____Beretta M1935 3.4”

WW2 Geco Steel Cased FMJ_______907 fps, 14 Sd_________977 fps, 11 Sd
    WW2 WRA 73-grain FMJ__________923 fps, 28 Sd_________1001 fps, 15 Sd
    RWS 73-grain FMJ_______________896 fps, 29 Sd__________981 fps, 16 Sd
    Fiocchi 73-grain FMJ_____________848, fps, 32 Sd_________917 fps, 11 Sd

Average 73-grain “Hardball” Velocity_894 fps_______________969 fps

Average 73 grain “Hardball” Energy_128 ft.-lbs.____________150 ft.-lbs.

Buffalo Bore 75-grain LFN_________883, fps, 6 Sd__________997 fps, 7 Sd

Buffalo Bore 75-grain Energy______128 ft.-lbs.____________164 ft.-lbs.

Loads exceeding 130 ft.-lbs. of energy are not recommended for use in Beretta Tomcat or Keltec Pistols
    Attachment 237832Attachment 237833Attachment 237834Attachment 237835Attachment 237836
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-12-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Stellar responses. Thank you all very much. This is why I like this board so much. The generosity of so many is wonderful. I think I have a handle on this now. The guy is shooting a Keltec, so I know what to recommend to him, now.

Boolit Master

I have a Kel-tec and have tried heavy bullets in it and functioned well, but the recoil was excessive and I felt that they may have shortened the lifetime of the gun. So, I practice with US made FMJ, pretty wimpy stuff, and pack the heavy loads. I also have had very good luck with PPU ammo in 32 ACP, again not really hot but better than most major US manufacturers. I really want to see 150 ft-lbs in my CZ70 to consider it a good load and I like to see over 100 in the little short barreled Kel-tec. I have loads that I have worked up with an 80 grain cast bullet that does meet this spec for both guns.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I would suggest staying away from hp loads and rather try lead . Hp when they expand the penetration goes down . The 32 is not the best when it comes to penetration. But it is far more important where you put it than what you put. I have a couple 32 acp that i carry on occasion and i use 80 gr lead rn ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Even in the 9Mak the Comblock police only used ball because of the penetration issue. If you live at the beach or in Florida it may not be an issue - otherwise it is.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I'm with Red Bear and Wayne on this one; I mostly use S&B "ball" because it is the fastest and penetrates the most. While PPU is the most accurate in my Kel-tec and FEG, it "clocks" the slowest. If anyone has a favorite recipe for the lead bullet, send it along. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I'm with Red Bear and Wayne on this one; I mostly use S&B "ball" because it is the fastest and penetrates the most. While PPU is the most accurate in my Kel-tec and FEG, it "clocks" the slowest. If anyone has a favorite recipe for the lead bullet, send it along. Thanks
    .32 ACP Hand Loads OAL 0.945” - “Group 1” suitable as a "steady diet" for use in Tomcat and Keltec pistols:

Ammunition _____________Beretta Tomcat 2.4”____Beretta M1935 3.4”
    Acc. 31-077B LD#00 2.0 TiteGroup__790, 12 Sd_____________893, 19 Sd
    Acc. 31-077B LD#0 2.2 Bullseye____757, 16 Sd_____________932, 24 Sd
    Acc. 31-077B LD#1 2.5 Bullseye____835, 16 Sd_____________956, 18 Sd
    Acc. 31-077B LD#0 3.0 AutoComp__837, 10 Sd_____________957, 16 Sd
    Acc.31-090B LD#00 2.5 AutoComp__729, 11 Sd____________833, 6 Sd

“Group 2” Loads for STEEL FRAMES ONLY - Min. OAL 0.945"

Ammunition _________________Beretta M1935 3.4”
    Acc.31-077B LD#7 5.6 #2400____________998, 22 Sd
    Acc. 31-077B LD#4 3.0 Unique__________1067 fps, 19 Sd

Acc. 31-087T LD#0 3.0 AutoComp_________962, 19 Sd
    Acc. 31-087T LD#7, 5.6 #2400___________926, 14 Sd

Acc. 31-090B LD#0, 2.2 Bullseye__________851, 14 Sd
    Acc. 31-090B 2.3 grains HP38_____________839, 16 Sd
    Acc. 31-090B 2.5 grain Unique____________901, 33 Sd
    Acc. 31-090B LD#00 2.0 Titegroup_________902, 16 Sd
    Acc. 31-090B LD#0, 3.0 AutoComp+P______999, 14 Sd

Hdy 85XTP.312” LD#0 3.0 AutoComp+P_____976, 8 Sd
    Hdy 90XTP.309” LD#0 3.0 AutoComp+P_____968, 17 Sd
    Nor 93FMJ .307” LD#0 3.0 AutoComp+P_____933, 11 Sd

Attachment 237851Attachment 237852Attachment 237853Attachment 237854
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-13-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I use FMJ in my keltec. I would not try and soup up the 32 with +p. It’s not what it is designed for. Just standard fmj loads are ideal for the 32. They will penetrate, you have given up expansion with the 32, but have gained concealability and controllability.

If you feel you need more oomph, then the answer is a different caliber, not hotter ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, all. 725

Quote Originally Posted by T_McD View Post
    I use FMJ in my keltec. I would not try and soup up the 32 with +p. It’s not what it is designed for. Just standard fmj loads are ideal for the 32. They will penetrate, you have given up expansion with the 32, but have gained concealability and controllability.

If you feel you need more oomph, then the answer is a different caliber, not hotter ammo.
    Agree with respect to the small mouse guns and lightalloy frames.

But standard-sized, steel frame pistols such as the Colt M1903 Pocket Hammerless, Beretta M1935, CZ27, CZ50, Walther PP all had .380 ACP counterparts and if springs are replaced with the .380 version for the pistol, all can digest .32 ACP loads which approximate .380 ACP bullet weight and velocity. NOT recommended for light alloy frame guns, because the heavy-bullet loads become "frame crackers."

While a different caliber is the obvious answer, it isn't always possible. Outside the US country restrictions may limit what you can carry, so you dance with the girl you brought.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    in my llama I use mag-tec hp and s & b fmj loaded alternately. one to go deep one to open up.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Agree with respect to the small mouse guns and lightalloy frames.

But standard-sized, steel frame pistols such as the Colt M1903 Pocket Hammerless, Beretta M1935, CZ27, CZ50, Walther PP all had .380 ACP counterparts and if springs are replaced with the .380 version for the pistol, all can digest .32 ACP loads which approximate .380 ACP bullet weight and velocity. NOT recommended for light alloy frame guns, because the heavy-bullet loads become "frame crackers."

While a different caliber is the obvious answer, it isn't always possible. Outside the US country restrictions may limit what you can carry, so you dance with the girl you brought.
    Good point, I am speaking from a USA viewpoint for sure.

The Winchester Flat Point Full Metal Jacket would be perfect if they put a little more powder in them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk