Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: First Time EVER!

Boolit Master

First Time EVER!

I bought a Lymn 3118 2-banger on eBay, and received it Wednesday. Thursday I decided to check it out, the weather was nice so I could do my casting on the patio, so I did. Plugged the SAECO in, came back in a while. the mold /handles (the way I bought it) still on top of the furnace, put on my gloves, got my sprue-knocker in my right hand, and started casting. Hmmm. The front cavity boolit had wings! Cast a few more, and often got more wings. Hmmm Held the mold up & checked - and if I squeezed the handles tight, there was just a trace of light showing between the blocks. If I didn't really squeeze, the gap was bigger. Hmmm.
    I dismounted the off-block, the one with holes for the locator pins, and got out my old reamer - gave it a few swipes, remounted, and no change. Did this a couple times, and still no joy - I wasn't taking off hardly any material - Hmmm.
    I dismounted both blocks - and they fit together perfectly! No light showing through! The problem was in the handles! I rounded up another set of handles, Perfectamundo! I cast about a hundred pills and stopped for the day.
    I have NEVER before found handles to be out of registry like this. A new experience...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I have seen this happen when I tried to use single cavity handles on a double cavity mold.

Boolit Master
    "It's always something"Roseanne Roseannadanna
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I bought a set of Lyman handles one time, 5$! Found out why, they held the mold cocked open just like yours. Few strokes with a file to clear the offending area of one handle"leg" and all was good. Suspect yours need the same.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    I only saw that once when I was using Lee handles on Lyman (if I remember correctly) mold. Redrilled holes with slightly larger ones and that fixed the issue. Yes its always something but as long as its something simple to fix I dont mind. Thats how i learn new things every day.

Boolit Buddy
    Now I have reason to check one of my used,new to me .45 acp molds that never cast perfect. Thanks for posting OP.

Boolit Grand Master

What part did you ream?
    My Anchor is holding fast!