RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wisdom

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    God shows up in the middle of storms - Doesn't mean they are any fun. I know you don't need any tellin. Just keeping myself reminded. Prayin for Ya . .
    Your right square butte and we have all had storms !I thank you for any prayer in my life , I told you a while back ...we all need prayer . Thank you .
    No turning back , No turning back !

I talk to a lot of people Pine Baron and there are a LOT of atheist kids out there . Outside influences in their lives are a huge factor . Two generations of our children are lacking faith .

I have a nephew who decided to preach when he was about 16 . Raised in church he wanted to spread GOD's word . I attended his baptism , his father taught bible study at their church . He was raised in a Christian home . He went up north to a big name university and in 4 years he came home a rabid atheist spewing the same old standard rip rap they all do .

As encouragement he is 32 years old and a professor at a college in Dallas . He married and has a 4 year old little girl . As of last year he has been taking his daughter to church . I lay a lot of this change for the better to his parents who never gave up on him .

My son has moved in with me . I am hoping GOD is working . I have prayed much that he will use me in this time to help my son find him .

Ahh heck ! I should have mentioned ...I lost over 30 pounds during that time ! More blessing !

Super Moderator Emeritus
    There is a song Mary sings, some times God calms the storm, sometimes God calms the child.
    Read your threads and thought about this. I was to be in Birmingham for Tammys surgery in the morning we are home with the flu. God is there taking care of her just like he is taking care of You.

I hate to hear ya'll got the flu right now Jim . I know you planned on being at Tammy's surgery . Been praying for all of you daily and knew her appointment was tomorrow . Your right GOD is with her , keep us up on whats going on .
    Love you brother
    Charlie

James .
    I have a special relationship with the book of James . James has ready and simple answers for situations and conditions . In reading James to me it seems as he is holding back and trying to be gentle . In real time I would bet he could get a stirring message across . Often called a handbook for sinners (maybe that's why I read him so much) James keeps it simple . Just a heads up if you never heard...divers temptations . it means 'diverse' .

James 1;2-8

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
    Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
    But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
    If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
    For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
    A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

James .
    I have a special relationship with the book of James . James has ready and simple answers for situations and conditions . In reading James to me it seems as he is holding back and trying to be gentle . In real time I would bet he could get a stirring message across . Often called a handbook for sinners (maybe that's why I read him so much) James keeps it simple . Just a heads up if you never heard...divers temptations . it means 'diverse' .

James 1;2-8

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
    Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
    But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
    If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
    For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
    A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Boolit Master
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
    Anyone that's part of a twelve step group knows this part of the serenity prayer by heart. A dear lady friend of mine breaks it down into three parts. #1. I can't, #2. He can, #3 I think I'll let him. I don't think anyone can handle the challenges and storms life throws our way alone, but God can! God can change us, if we let him. Some times he changes our circumstances, but most often he leads us through them, so that the storm can rage around us without us being tossed about. There was a time in my life when the hurricanes of life would swirl me around with all the spinning debris, after gaining a measure of serenity (through God) the hurricanes still come, but it's more like I'm in the eye of the storms now. I think, perhaps, in your own way you've found this as well. Call it wisdom if you like.

Thank you Thundarstick . Serenity prayer is covers many things in our lives and more than applicable to my situation . Wisdom was a lacking part of my condition in trying to hold on to control .

Mark 4;35-41

On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.” 36 Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. 38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”

39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. 40 But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” 41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”

Us that are reading/ studying GOD's word in the Reading the bible thread above finished the Psalms yesterday . Proverbs is going to be interesting . Proverbs 1 is given to us by Solomon ;

The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

for gaining wisdom and instruction;
    for understanding words of insight;
    for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,
    doing what is right and just and fair;
    for giving prudence to those who are simple,
    knowledge and discretion to the young—
    let the wise listen and add to their learning,
    and let the discerning get guidance—
    for understanding proverbs and parables,
    the sayings and riddles of the wise.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
    but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Prologue: Exhortations to Embrace Wisdom
    Warning Against the Invitation of Sinful Men

Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
    and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
    They are a garland to grace your head
    and a chain to adorn your neck.

My son, if sinful men entice you,
    do not give in to them.
    If they say, “Come along with us;
    let’s lie in wait for innocent blood,
    let’s ambush some harmless soul;
    let’s swallow them alive, like the grave,
    and whole, like those who go down to the pit;
    we will get all sorts of valuable things
    and fill our houses with plunder;
    cast lots with us;
    we will all share the loot”—
    my son, do not go along with them,
    do not set foot on their paths;
    for their feet rush into evil,
    they are swift to shed blood.
    How useless to spread a net
    where every bird can see it!
    These men lie in wait for their own blood;
    they ambush only themselves!
    Such are the paths of all who go after ill-gotten gain;
    it takes away the life of those who get it.
    Wisdom’s Rebuke

Out in the open wisdom calls aloud,
    she raises her voice in the public square;
    on top of the wall she cries out,
    at the city gate she makes her speech:

“How long will you who are simple love your simple ways?
    How long will mockers delight in mockery
    and fools hate knowledge?
    Repent at my rebuke!
    Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
    I will make known to you my teachings.
    But since you refuse to listen when I call
    and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
    since you disregard all my advice
    and do not accept my rebuke,
    I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you;
    I will mock when calamity overtakes you—
    when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
    when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,
    when distress and trouble overwhelm you.

“Then they will call to me but I will not answer;
    they will look for me but will not find me,
    since they hated knowledge
    and did not choose to fear the Lord.
    Since they would not accept my advice
    and spurned my rebuke,
    they will eat the fruit of their ways
    and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.
    For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,
    and the complacency of fools will destroy them;
    but whoever listens to me will live in safety
    and be at ease, without fear of harm.”

We all 'wish' we had wisdom but wisdom must be sought . Philosophers search for wisdom in this world the most and generally only ending up causing more questions than answers . They like to debate , argue or persuade with a set of thoughts to have accomplished 'wisdom' on their own . Again I'll say wisdom must be sought beyond our realm of reasoning and understanding .

GOD possesses all wisdom and GOD is the giver of wisdom . We are told repeatedly in his word to ask him and in personal need or understanding he provides it . But it's like strength , patience , trust , love , and all that is good . You have to ask and reach out to take what is given . GOD will honor all he offers but I must reach out to accept it .

Paul most likely sent this letter to the church in Ephesus during his first imprisonment in Rome . While in prisons he wrote many letters to churches , pastors and others . No power could hold back his love of GOD or stop him from spreading the truth of the gospel .

Ephesians 1

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God,
    To the saints who are in Ephesus, and faithful in Christ Jesus:
    2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Redemption in Christ
    3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.
    7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him. 11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, 12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory.
    13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.
    Prayer for Spiritual Wisdom
    15 Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16 do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, 18 the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power 20 which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come.
    22 And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

7-10

7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him.

When I read all that is given by our Lord to us it is hard to take in . GOD the father and Christ his son have given so much . Paul mentions wisdom as only one blessing and gift to take up the cross of Christ . Read the list of blessings . Wisdom is obtainable in this life .

The book of Daniel is another example of GOD given wisdom .

Daniel 1

In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it. 2 And the Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, with some of the articles of the house of God, which he carried into the land of Shinar to the house of his god; and he brought the articles into the treasure house of his god.
    3 Then the king instructed Ashpenaz, the master of his eunuchs, to bring some of the children of Israel and some of the king’s descendants and some of the nobles, 4 young men in whom there was no blemish, but good-looking, gifted in all wisdom, possessing knowledge and quick to understand, who had ability to serve in the king’s palace, and whom they might teach the language and literature of the Chaldeans. 5 And the king appointed for them a daily provision of the king’s delicacies and of the wine which he drank, and three years of training for them, so that at the end of that time they might serve before the king. 6 Now from among those of the sons of Judah were Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah. 7 To them the chief of the eunuchs gave names: he gave Daniel the name Belteshazzar; to Hananiah, Shadrach; to Mishael, Meshach; and to Azariah, Abed-Nego.
    8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. 9 Now God had brought Daniel into the favor and goodwill of the chief of the eunuchs. 10 And the chief of the eunuchs said to Daniel, “I fear my lord the king, who has appointed your food and drink. For why should he see your faces looking worse than the young men who are your age? Then you would endanger my head before the king.”
    11 So Daniel said to the steward whom the chief of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, 12 “Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then let our appearance be examined before you, and the appearance of the young men who eat the portion of the king’s delicacies; and as you see fit, so deal with your servants.” 14 So he consented with them in this matter, and tested them ten days.
    15 And at the end of ten days their features appeared better and fatter in flesh than all the young men who ate the portion of the king’s delicacies. 16 Thus the steward took away their portion of delicacies and the wine that they were to drink, and gave them vegetables.
    17 As for these four young men, God gave them knowledge and skill in all literature and wisdom; and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
    18 Now at the end of the days, when the king had said that they should be brought in, the chief of the eunuchs brought them in before Nebuchadnezzar. 19 Then the king interviewed them, and among them all none was found like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah; therefore they served before the king. 20 And in all matters of wisdom and understanding about which the king examined them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers who were in all his realm. 21 Thus Daniel continued until the first year of King Cyrus.

I will put up the whole book of Daniel if even one would read it . If no one wants to then I'll move on . There is wisdom imparted in all reading of GOD's word .

I would encourage you to read of Joseph in Genesis . Sold into slavery by his envious brothers . Delivered by GOD through the giving of wisdom and knowledge . Though Solomon is the first thought of generally in wisdom Joseph rivaled him in gifts of wisdom . I'll leave up a few passages and you could read and compare .

Genesis 41:37-41

“So the advice was good in the eyes of Pharaoh and in the eyes of all his servants. And Pharaoh said to his servants, ‘Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?’ Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, ‘Inasmuch as God has shown you all this, there is no one as discerning and wise as you. You shall be over my house, and all my people shall be ruled according to your word; only in regard to the throne will I be greater than you.’ And Pharaoh said to Joseph, ‘See, I have set you over all the land of Egypt.”

The word 'wisdom' is repeated often in the word of GOD in the old and new testament . We are to seek wisdom in knowing our Lord and in our lives .
    Last edited by Boaz; 02-21-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Proverbs 8 , a profound reading . So much is told , given . All are offered wisdom and knowledge , all are shown how to receive it . A course in receiving , using and rewards . Knowledge and wisdom itself are imparted simply by the way it is written (given) if adhered to . A key chapter of Proverbs , it shines light on the whole book . Read it more than one time slowly and consider it . I have looked forward to putting it up . All given but you still must reach for it .

Proverbs 8
    Does not wisdom call out?
    Does not understanding raise her voice?
    At the highest point along the way,
    where the paths meet, she takes her stand;
    beside the gate leading into the city,
    at the entrance, she cries aloud:
    “To you, O people, I call out;
    I raise my voice to all mankind.
    You who are simple, gain prudence;
    you who are foolish, set your hearts on it.
    Listen, for I have trustworthy things to say;
    I open my lips to speak what is right.
    My mouth speaks what is true,
    for my lips detest wickedness.
    All the words of my mouth are just;
    none of them is crooked or perverse.
    To the discerning all of them are right;
    they are upright to those who have found knowledge.
    Choose my instruction instead of silver,
    knowledge rather than choice gold,
    for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
    and nothing you desire can compare with her.
    “I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;
    I possess knowledge and discretion.
    To fear the Lord is to hate evil;
    I hate pride and arrogance,
    evil behavior and perverse speech.
    Counsel and sound judgment are mine;
    I have insight, I have power.
    By me kings reign
    and rulers issue decrees that are just;
    by me princes govern,
    and nobles—all who rule on earth.
    I love those who love me,
    and those who seek me find me.
    With me are riches and honor,
    enduring wealth and prosperity.
    My fruit is better than fine gold;
    what I yield surpasses choice silver.
    I walk in the way of righteousness,
    along the paths of justice,
    bestowing a rich inheritance on those who love me
    and making their treasuries full.
    “The Lord brought me forth as the first of his works,
    before his deeds of old;
    I was formed long ages ago,
    at the very beginning, when the world came to be.
    When there were no watery depths, I was given birth,
    when there were no springs overflowing with water;
    before the mountains were settled in place,
    before the hills, I was given birth,
    before he made the world or its fields
    or any of the dust of the earth.
    I was there when he set the heavens in place,
    when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,
    when he established the clouds above
    and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
    when he gave the sea its boundary
    so the waters would not overstep his command,
    and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.
    Then I was constantly at his side.
    I was filled with delight day after day,
    rejoicing always in his presence,
    rejoicing in his whole world
    and delighting in mankind.
    “Now then, my children, listen to me;
    blessed are those who keep my ways.
    Listen to my instruction and be wise;
    do not disregard it.
    Blessed are those who listen to me,
    watching daily at my doors,
    waiting at my doorway.
    For those who find me find life
    and receive favor from the Lord.
    But those who fail to find me harm themselves;
    all who hate me love death.”

Opportunity , reflection , decision . All is offered , consequences of decision explained .

Proverbs 9

Wisdom has built her house;
    she has set up its seven pillars.
    She has prepared her meat and mixed her wine;
    she has also set her table.
    She has sent out her servants, and she calls
    from the highest point of the city,
    “Let all who are simple come to my house!”
    To those who have no sense she says,
    “Come, eat my food
    and drink the wine I have mixed.
    Leave your simple ways and you will live;
    walk in the way of insight.”
    Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults;
    whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse.
    Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you;
    rebuke the wise and they will love you.
    Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still;
    teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
    and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
    For through wisdom your days will be many,
    and years will be added to your life.
    If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you;
    if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer.
    Folly is an unruly woman;
    she is simple and knows nothing.
    She sits at the door of her house,
    on a seat at the highest point of the city,
    calling out to those who pass by,
    who go straight on their way,
    “Let all who are simple come to my house!”
    To those who have no sense she says,
    “Stolen water is sweet;
    food eaten in secret is delicious!”
    But little do they know that the dead are there,
    that her guests are deep in the realm of the dead.

Boolit Master
    A huge Amen! Let the decrees of the Lord God stand for ever and ever! Amen!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast