Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show me your Krag sporters!

Boolit Master
    Sporter + original 4 digit …………...Attachment 235293Attachment 235293
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    I would be afraid to shoot that one because of the grain direction through the grip.
    It sure is purity though. I do wonder how it would shoot... the ones you shouldn’t shoot always stare at you... daring you.. like a beautiful woman you shouldn’t kiss but wants one...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I am probably swimming against the tide, but I'd put an upper handguard on it.

Moderator Emeritus

I owned this bubba'd 30-40 krag for a while. I believe the barrel had been shortened to 22", it had a weaver side mount and a old Weaver KV scope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Attachment 235143
    This oak stocked one belongs to a friend. His grandpa was a carpenter and he restocked this one and used it in the 1940's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I agree and I won't. I've advised my friend that oak is prone to splitting making it a poor choice for stocks. That decision is his.
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    I would be afraid to shoot that one because of the grain direction through the grip.
    I sort of disagree. I'd happily shoot it. The grain runs very horizontally straight back through the pistol grip into the butt. One thing about oak, it is strong, Strong, STRONG -- a realization one comes to by splitting lots of oak firewood! I would think that a negative to an oak stock would be that oak is also heavy, Heavy, HEAVY! But, I'll bet that the good ol' boy that made this was proud of his work, and that it took lots of game. I don't much care for the style of the pistol grip being so standoutish, and were it mine I'd blend it into the buttstock somewhat, but I'll bet the fellow that made it was happy, and that's really what counts, isn't it? I like the schnable fore end tip, and like his area of the pistol grip where a pistol grip cap would be located. Other than the pistol grip being so distinct, I think about the only other thing I'd do to it is add a steel skeleton butt plate.

Here's my contribution to the thread: I'm offering a disclaimer right up front that I did not drill and tap this receiver, it came just the way you see it with the large carpenter-type screw heads in the mount, which are actually bolts with that type of head. I added the Williams scope rings which had lain unused in my parts accumulation for about 30 years. I bought them on a closeout way back in '82 when they were having a sale in the CST storeroom. What I do have to own up to is the scope. It's a good one, but just isn't right for this rifle, and I had to mount it all the way back to "get the picture". What is nice about the arrangement is that the scope is centered over the bore rather than off to the side like most of them are. Got to change out that scope for something more conventional......someday. Nice thing is that you can still use the peep sight. Tell me it's ugly--
    Attachment 235315

Boolit Buddy
    How many of you use or have seen the setup of a Krag with an extra mounting or bedding screw drilled and tapped on the forward end of the magazine box? Was looking into doing it on mine since I'd like to get rid of the barrel band. Any thoughts? There are some beautiful specimens here!

Nothing ugly about that, DG! Looks Euro. I like the high wood side too. I keep bidding on those Renfield sights but some goober keeps paying $100+ for them - lost one Sunday for $123! I can't seem to find a sporter barrel band so I will make my own. Dies and brass are on the way and a finish reamer will follow- but that's for another thread!
    Keep those pics coming!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I surely do know about buying those old Redfield, Pacific, Lyman, etc. "no gunsmithing" Krag peep sights, having bought a few myself. Since my experience was about 10 years ago I was complaining at having to shell out about $85 each. All I can advise is to keep trying, as sometimes the other bidders will be out to lunch, broke from buying the last one, or in bed with the flu.

Here's two more photos of the Krag I posted above to show how the rings work. The peep on this one is mounted on the right side of the receiver, which of course meant even more holes. But, it came along at the right price and the damage was already done. I've never shot it at Bambi, but it targets well.
    Attachment 235324Attachment 235325

Quote Originally Posted by ajjohns View Post
    How many of you use or have seen the setup of a Krag with an extra mounting or bedding screw drilled and tapped on the forward end of the magazine box? Was looking into doing it on mine since I'd like to get rid of the barrel band. Any thoughts? There are some beautiful specimens here!
    This has come up on the forum several times, and I'll bet that if you take the time to search the Krag threads you'll find some information on it. I own several Krags (caught the bug really bad for a few years --almost terminal!) but none of mine have this feature.

I kind of remember Char-Gar mentioning or discussing it, and you could give him a PM shout, as I haven't run across one of his posts for awhile. Most folks doing this conversion drill and tap a hole forward of the trigger guard into the bottom of the receiver ring. You'd need some sort of pillar or escutcheon to embed into the stock for the bolt head to seat against. A thick washer might do it. Since the receiver ring is small and not that thick to start with, and about 130 year old metallurgy I've always gone for the barrel band.

But, your idea and point are well taken in that there is no support for the barrel/stock relationship forward of the trigger guard. Maybe not a problem if you're bench rest shooting only as you probably want the barrel free floated. For a hunting rifle though you'll probably want a sling, and as you venture over hill and dale your sling will be jerk, jerk, jerking on the fore end of the stock, and I can't imagine that as being too good. Nevertheless, many and perhaps most sporters are exactly that way and their owners don't seem to mind. I'll go with the barrel ring as being the best compromise, and it can double as a place to screw in a sling swivel. The problem did not exist with the as-issued rifles because they had both a front and middle barrel band that kept the stock and barrel together, as did the issue carbine's barrel band. Many of the old timers who bought these rifles for $2.50 each from Uncle Sam back in the day cut the stocks off just forward of the middle band.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I've only saw it on sporter jobs. I did shoot mine with and without front band, it shot better without. But the fit to the barrel may have been off. It's been awhile to remember. But one screw holding the weapon together is less than ideal too so I thought that be the reason another hole is being added, for support. It's a big flat area to hold solid, not really a lug but good bearing surface all the same. Thanks for the info, I'll have to ask around and see. Mine sat at my gunsmith for ten years and I finally took it home last fall. It's time to get back to it.

Coupla shots of Bishop ads from the 1950s

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bishop_c1948.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	235336 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bishop_1959.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	235337
    Cognitive Dissident

Somebody wanted to see the Stith type mount on my Krag/Lovell:

Name:	Front Mount.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	235338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Mount.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	235339

To remove the bolt from the rifle. you take out the large screw on the rear mount and swing the scope out to the right. The front mount pivots.

A lot of Krag sporters have the left side of the receiver drilled for scope mounts. Not many mounts that didn't require this. I don't like it when they drilled thru the serial number.

Lastly. Here is what a cracked lug on a Krag bolt looks like:

Name:	Cracked Bolts02.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	235340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cracked Bolts01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	235341
    Last edited by uscra112; 02-05-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Thank you for those pics. I've always wondered what a cracked lug on a Krag looked like and now I know. I have ideas for a side scope mount utilizing a spare magazine side plate and a stamped steel Weaver N Mount
    So to not d&t any where.
    I am drifting my own thread so I will stop now.

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, Texas by God, it took me a couple days to get the old gal out of safe -- behind "everything", but I was overdue for a hopeful-no-rust check... (yippee... none!)
    Here's mine:
    Attachment 235502Attachment 235503

Since you've got it out George- might as well shoot it! You know, just to make sure. That's a nice reciever sight!

Boolit Master

cas,

That's a beauty. I think that's the very first Mannlicher (sp?) stock I've seen that I like. What length barrel is it?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy

Name:	1898 target 50%.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	235708
    Old 1898 I picked up a few years ago. It has a grafted on pistol grip and higher comb, no drill peep, and trigger over-travel stop.

Finally received the Krag/Lovell that I won on Gunbroker a couple of weeks ago. Like my other one, the magazine has been trimmed off and the left side plate omitted, so that it goes into a stock that makes it look like an '03. Fabulous stocking job! Wood to metal fits look like it was moulded, elegant checkering, as good as I've seen on $3000 customs. Bluing looks like new. No indication anywhere of who did it, but I haven't separated the metal from the wood yet. I will need a much better camera to do it justice, but will add a few pics in the next few days.

Oh, and he sent me a double handful of handmade reloading dies, 16 loaded rounds in G&H brass, and 30 empty but primed G&H brass.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I really ought to learn how to post pics. Years back one of my uncles had a Krag in full military trim. had a side mount installed for a scope. when he passed away I made a mental note that I'd ask his wife if she would consider selling it to me. Couple years later that mental note surfaced and I called her up. Too late as she sold it. Then the hunt was on for a Krag with vg bore. Since at the time I was living in NYC I went to all the gun shows I could. Went to a show on Long Island. Dealer had a 1898 Krag that had been cut down. Best part it had a VG bore. $180 later and she was mine. They kept the issue rear sight and had installed a ramped front sight. You know the old story about bullet and powder fouling going on one layer at a time. Well a lotta Hoppes, a big bag of patches and a few bore brushes and a lot of time I really had a VG bore. Man I was one happy camper. Barrel was cut back to 25" and RP 30-40 Krag with the 180 gr round nosed bullet was a match made in heaven. Shortly thereafter the Rough Riders came out and every one and his brother wanted a Krag. Still have it and hopefully will slug the barrel and start with cast bullets. Frank

Boolit Master
    I attended a gun show about 30 years ago and found a Krag bolt in a card board box full of random junk.
    The bolt was completely missing the locking lug. It broke out like it was brittle as glass.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Somebody wanted to see the Stith type mount on my Krag/Lovell:

Name:	Front Mount.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	235338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Mount.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	235339

To remove the bolt from the rifle. you take out the large screw on the rear mount and swing the scope out to the right. The front mount pivots.

A lot of Krag sporters have the left side of the receiver drilled for scope mounts. Not many mounts that didn't require this. I don't like it when they drilled thru the serial number.

Lastly. Here is what a cracked lug on a Krag bolt looks like:

Name:	Cracked Bolts02.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	235340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cracked Bolts01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	235341
    EDG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast