WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget 243

Budget 243

Hi guys, I am looking to buy a budget 243, of this list which would be the best bet?

Browning A bolt
    CVA Hunter
    Howa 1500
    Mossberg Patriot
    Ruger American

Banned

I doubt you'd go too far wrong with any of them. I have one of the CVA Optima Elites and have been impressed with it, I think it's the same action as the Hunter.

I sure am hearing a lot of praise for those Ruger Americans. I really don't need another hunting rifle and I tend to like blued steel and walnut, but I'm tempted to pick one up just to see if they live up to the hype. If you watch for sales, those things can be had cheap.

Boolit Buddy

The Howa are highly underrated. The few that I've been associated with have all been extremely accurate rifles.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Don’t know if I would put the Browning A-Bolt in the budget or economy rifle category. You might want to check out the Winchester XPR. Bought my wife the Compact version in 7mm08 and I am impressed. On your list, leaving the A-Bolt out I would opt for the Ruger American.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Ford View Post
    The Howa are highly underrated. The few that I've been associated with have all been extremely accurate rifles.
    I have no experience with them, but aren't the Howas what Weatherby puts their name on now? They sure have a good reputation.

Might want to look at a Savage Axis and T C Compass. I have 3 axis and 2 T C's. All 5 will shoot great groups. All are very inexpensive. T C stock is a bit better, but a ton of axis info over on SavageShooter.

Boolit Master
    I just got done zeroing a Savage Axis for a buddy in .243, shot 3/4" groups with factory Remington 100 gr. core lokes, and ..600 groups with Federal 80gr SP. With some handloads I had on hand, it shot 3-3 shot groups, from .270-.400! He had bought it on closeout at Wal Mart, for $229 and after rebate He had $180 in it with scope bases, I let him have a Nikon 3x9x40 for $75 with a set of steel rings, and he is one happy camper. the reloads were using 85gr /BTHPs, Sierras. A good all around bullet. I would strongly urge you to consider a Savage!

Boolit Master
    My buddy won 1st place at a 1,000 yard F-class match at the Palomino Valley Gun Club with a Bone stock Hoea 1500 chambered in 308.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have been impressed with my TC Compass. Looks like ****, feels like ****, shoots extremely well
    Don Verna

CDNN has Marlin XS7 .243s on clearance and they are nice rifles. Around $275.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Buy a Compass but don't buy a 243 unless to plan to AI it. OR you like neck reaming. OR want no resale value. Buy the 6.5 Creedmore (aka modern 6.5x55). Get the MCARBO trigger spring and you'll have a sub moa rifle with a 2.5 lb trigger and low bolt lift. Bought my 3rd Compass, a 308, under the G.I. rebate, ended up costing $250.00. They are also threaded for a can ! My chopped & canned 223.

OP said he wants a .243 Win. One of the top 10 selling cartridges of all time.

Boolit Grand Master

If possible handle a few of them and see which feels best to you. Sometimes ones pistol grip angle is a little different or the cheek rest just fits better. Length of pull can also make a big difference in how a rifle feels. Even in the same model slight differences can make a difference in how the rifle feels;

Also don't write off a clean used rifle on the rack. A used rifle can save you a lot or get you into a nicer rifle for the same money. .243 is a great round and performs very good.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Texas by God;4587121]OP said he wants a .243 Win. One of the top 10 selling cartridges of all time.

No rule against trying to help a fellow member avoid an error. If he wants a 6mm, there is now a 6mm CM which will sound taps for the 243. (which was always inferior to the 244 anyway)

"The 6mm Creedmoor's case has a 30-degree shoulder that makes it slightly more efficient than the .243 and promotes case longevity, which benefits for reloaders."

Write it on the wall: IMO in 10 years the 243 will rank with the 6mm Remington.

I agree that the 6mm Remington is a better cartridge than the .243 Winchester but our opinion doesn't count much except to us. I don't like the shoulder angle of the .243( or the 25-06) but I've sent thousands of rounds downrange with both. Other than trimming more often than shallower shouldered rounds I haven't seen a problem. The 6mm CM is the "new" version of the 6mm International. We will agree to disagree if you are willing to do so. In 40 years of loading .243s I have never had to "ream" a case neck.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I have no experience with them, but aren't the Howas what Weatherby puts their name on now? They sure have a good reputation.
    Weatherby was having Howa build all the actions for them until back in the 90's when I think Weatherby started to make their own Mark V actions. I think Weatherby started making them up in Maine. Howa then started marketing their own guns since they no longer had the Weatherby account, but enought info was out there in the public domain about their work in connection with Weatherby that it actually has been a boon to them to now be on their own. They make a very nice rifle. Have shot many of them over the years and sold many more to lots of hunters too.

The two Japanese rifles on the list are the best quality in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    .243 isn’t going anywhere.

Banned

Sven, God bless you. You clogged up one of my threads which I had to ask to be cleaned up and now you predict the decline of the .243.
    Not a scurrilous opinion, but wrong headed in my opinion.
    Last edited by jmort; 02-28-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Banned

The .243 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. This coming from a guy who's never owned one but has owned a few 6mm Remingtons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast