Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationPBcastcoRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 358 win hunting bullet

Boolit Master
    35Whelen; Would love to send pics but not pc & camera savy enough, need to put my old self back to lernin this new stuff. Fixn to send the BLR off to Jes Reboring, the chamber is waaay tooo tight, not near saami specs. Seems the Japs did this on several early production units. Burned a few rounds in the Ruger & seems AA2015 may be the ticket for it. 35 Would have responded earlier but the little woman has gotten that fish'n fever & keep'n me bizzy doin that & workn on the boat. Jim

Boolit Master
    beltfed; Thanks for the PM. Have you ever played with Teflon tape to wrap boolits? Did some in the past & worked yes & no, different types of tape different results. Plan on playing with it some more now that hunt'n season is over & not worried about spook'n any game. Jim

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    35Whelen; Would love to send pics but not pc & camera savy enough, need to put my old self back to lernin this new stuff. Fixn to send the BLR off to Jes Reboring, the chamber is waaay tooo tight, not near saami specs. Seems the Japs did this on several early production units. Burned a few rounds in the Ruger & seems AA2015 may be the ticket for it. 35 Would have responded earlier but the little woman has gotten that fish'n fever & keep'n me bizzy doin that & workn on the boat. Jim
    Some companies started doing match chambering as a selling point to the uninitiated. Match chambering is exactly that, and has absolutely no use in a rifle you are going to shoot a lot. They demand absolutely perfect ammunition. A speck of dirt can put you out of business.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Waksupi; I've heard this tight chambered stuff is valued by some bench shooters, but this is a BLR 81, 358 Win. I respect precision engineering as much as the next guy, but a bullet sized 360-361, binds in the neck area of the chamber. Bore slugged .3585 in digital caliper & .359 in the dial caliper. I need a little more room & I think Jes could probably handle it, fits fine in the Ruger African 358. Jim

Boolit Master
    verso06
    Why not just try bullets sized to 0.359" for that BLR81 358.?
    Also, Re. TFE taped bullets. A friend here tried that some. Mixed bag.
    I still like what is working for me: paper patching.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    beltfed; I see your point, at 0.359 dia. I still get friction in the neck area of the chamber with Lake City Brass and others that might be a little neck heavy, besides neck trimming brass is time consuming & thinning to the brass life. A little extra bullet diameter goes a long way with increased velocity. And at this weight paper patching will still land around the same velocity with a bore riding nose (so I think). Jim

Boolit Master
    versa-06,
    Though I have a lot of once fired and even a couple hundred NEW LC 77 Match brass,
    I have used only WW 308 commercial brass for my 358W cases Because
    it is thinner, holds a bit more powder.
    Oh, and thinning necks by a couple thousandths will not appreciably weaken the brass.
    I have shot Outside neck turned brass a lot from my 32-40 Rem Hep and others.
    Another advantage for lightly neck turning is to make neck wall thickness more uniform and
    concentric.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    beltfed; You are right neck turning works great, Did a bunch of LC mil surplus 308 for my 243's. Things are just too tight in the BLR, Saami Specs show .3880 loaded round. This BLR at .3530 it will load but is very tight and .3540 won't load, would be ok with .359 sized boolits but at 1800 fps or plus I get lead wash. Tight loads make for excessive & erratic pressure loads. Things are just too tight. Jim

Boolit Master
    OOPS: That last input should be, This BLR at .3830 will load but is very tight and 3840 won't load, SORRY, Don't know what I was Thinkn. Maybe its a tight neck thing. Jim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234