Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply PBcastco
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 358 win hunting bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    I found the 250 jacketed to be super accurate as well and deadly on bull elk
    the 358 does not get the credit as it deserves
    the deer I have shot with it and cast have literally staggered after being hit
    I have not seen that with any other cartridge I have used
    a fine choice really with pretty much any bullet,boolit
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I found the 250 jacketed to be super accurate as well and deadly on bull elk
    the 358 does not get the credit as it deserves
    the deer I have shot with it and cast have literally staggered after being hit
    I have not seen that with any other cartridge I have used
    a fine choice really with pretty much any bullet,boolit
    Due to the 16.5” barrel, I wasn’t really considering it for elk due to the fact that shots can sometimes range to 400 yards. But within 200, I’m sure it would be a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Does anyone have a 250-265gr bullet mold that is known to cycle in a BLR 358 & Ruger Hawkeye 358 without an excessive amt. in the case? I plan on some blackies in the future. Thanks Jim

Boolit Master

Its a real nice bullet proven buy how many makers make copies!!

I have a WFN 190 I also like allot but wish it was longer. I have a 235g Keith that shoots well but never too any game with it. NOE makes a real nice 280RN but the 358 dosent have the powder cap for 250+ weights. I actually prefer 225 as a heavy in the 358 and switch to the Whelen or Norma Mag when I need to shoot the heavier bullets. There is a point of diminishing returns.

Then the 200 & 210 RCBS/ LYMAN bullet I like best.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_AZ View Post
    Thanks! It’s probably too late, but I responded just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    According to my manuals 2000 fps. up to 275 grain should not be impossible? Your thoughts?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    According to my manuals 2000 fps. up to 275 grain should not be impossible? Your thoughts?
    I get 2170 fps with a 290 gr. That's pushing past any factory loadings for power.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Seems WAY WAY faster then anything I have herd of in the 358. Hell its faster then Im shooting my Whelen 280’s!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I had at one time some 275 gr Hornady rn and got them to 2170 in a 22" barrel.
    I have killed just one deer with cast. It was the Saeco 245gr bullet. I used h322 and the wound was the diameter of my pointer finger, or about .60-65. The Lee 208 gr I have, would I am sure make a much larger hole. I too would like a bit more bullet weight but for deer it is not necessary. I too think that the .358 Win peaks at 225-250 gr spitzers. Now all I shoot is cast and PC, i.e. old copper penny.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Seems WAY WAY faster then anything I have herd of in the 358. Hell its faster then Im shooting my Whelen 280’s!!

CW
    all you need is the rite powder bullet combo
    it aint that hard to do
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I get 2170 fps with a 290 gr. That's pushing past any factory loadings for power.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Seems WAY WAY faster then anything I have herd of in the 358.
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    all you need is the rite powder bullet combo
    I agree that an apples-to-apples approach should be taken. The following are velocities from a ~180gr projectile from a .308-based cartridge with a 24-26" barrel. One would think that things would favor the .358 given longer barrel (better expansion ratio) and shorter bullet bearing length, yet somehow it's more than 200fps slower than the .338Federal.

With modern, strong actions you should be able to safely drive the .358 to far greater velocities than what's listed in commercial publishings, especially with some of the recently developed powders.

Waksupi's 290gr load is not out of line in terms of muzzle energy of 308-based cartridges running at modern pressures.

Code:
    7-08 Rem	24"bbl	2.800"OAL	IMR 4451	43.8C	2,598fps	58,800 PSI(175gr projectile)
    .308 Win	24"bbl	2.800"OAL	IMR 4064	45.2C	2,683fps	58,200 PSI 
    .338 Fed	24"bbl	2.810"OAL	8208XBR		48.5C	2,811fps	59,900 PSI 
    .358 Win	26"bbl	2.700"OAL	H4895		48.0C	2,603fps	49,900CUP
    Source: Hodgdon online reloading data
    Last edited by McFred; 02-15-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Look'n at NOE's .360-294 RN GC & SC360-232-RF GC, called him look'n to buy some samples to test cycling in my 2-358's he has none & says he doesn't know anyone who sells them. Also look'n at Accurate molds 36-250AG Anybody know where a fella could purchase any of these? Don't need to be lubed, sized or checked just .360 or larger. Thanks Jim

Boolit Master

Jim,
    have you tried a post in the "Bullet Exchange" sub-forum?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...oolit-Exchange

Boolit Master
    Thanks Beerd! No I haven't, as a matter of fact I never Knew it existed. Not very observant on my part. Sorry for the delayed post, all we have up here is dial up and there has been trouble with lines due to the weather. And again Thanks! Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I have the NOE 360-232 it cast a nice boolit the HP is massive have not used it much but shows promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    NOE 360-230-RF Ranch Dog. A little heavier but best shooter out of my Marlin X7 JES rebore to .358. LEE 200 is a good shooter too. The extra weight on the Ranch Dog gives a significant thump on anything you hit. Only downside it doesn't feed well from a double stack magazine like the Marlin X7. Feeds great from the left column but not the right side. Redneck fix I super glued a dummy round on the first round placement on the right side and then load a round in magazine on left side and then depress round and slide a round into chamber and close bolt. This way I have a follow up shot. With the .358 and 230gr boolit with a large meplat you don't need a follow up shot DRT. I am working on a follower and magazine well to feed single stack and problem solved
    I'm late to the 358 Winchester party but I have the 245 grain Seaco and the 35-200 fn. In my Hawkeye the 35-200's don't feed the last round of the mag either (right side). The nose misses the hole for the chamber and hits the end of the barrel at about 11:00. The 245's feed good as do shells from a box of 200 grain Silver Tips. I noticed the OAL for the 35-200 is much shorter than the other two and seated a few out farther. It does seem to work better but I only tried a few seated longer.

Here is quite an article about the 358 Win. They aren't too worried about the silver stream and they say the Sierra 225 Gameking is a great jacketed bullet for the cartridge offering a balance of range and effectiveness.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...inchester.html

He gets into terminal ballistics and impact velocities and it seems to explain what I have seen with rear lung shots and 45-70 cast boolit velocities. I'm pretty excited to get this 358 hitting my shoulder but its been could and I have had to shovel snow out of the target area twice now.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

There is a guy on marlinowners forum that has modified Marlin 336 rifles in 35 Rem. to feed slightly longer cartridges and throats them for long bullets.
    He claims in his "Safari Grade " 35 Rem. He gets 2150 fps with a 310 gr. bollit.

Jedman

Depending on your barrel twist I'm "+1" on any version of the 200 grain boolit. (I have the 35-200 RCBS and love it in my custom build Remington 600 in .358 Win) If you get desperate and in an emergency you have to revert to using a jacketed bullet (shudder ...) then the Hornady 200 grain Interlock is hard to beat ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    Browning BLR (old style with the ugly magazine), rebarreled with a 22" Douglas premium, mid weight barrel. That original 18.5" Browning barrel was LOUD and grossly inaccurate. Now the RCBS 35-200 pushed along by a bunch of VV-135 is accurate and deadly. First moose shot with it dropped with the first shot. Moose don't do that! The guide was just stunned. Eventually the bull got up and started to run. The second 35-200 put him down to stay. Both boolits were found under the skin on the other side of the critter after passing through bone. Both looked like advertisements for commercial bullets. Perfect mushrooms. Boolits started out at 213 grains lubed with GC. Both were about 180 grains after transiting the moose. My boolits are cast with WW + ~ 10% 95-5 solder, air dried, lubed with LBT blue. They are BHN 14-15 when loaded and I send them on their way at 2430 fps (chronographed - no bull). Accuracy 100 yards ~ 1.5" for 5 shots. No leading. These boolits have also accounted for elk. No running from them either. Dunno what more you can ask of a boolit !! Pilgrim

Boolit Buddy
    This one from Accurate is a tack driver in mine.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...36-240AG-D.png

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360-240A   32 grn  H4895.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	237532

Ive found there isn't much the 358 wont shoot well...you will likely find the same. I like heavy for caliber bullets, they penetrate very well

There is allot to like about this cartridge. Does anyone use VV N540 in the 358? I got some I'd like to use up. Could use a starting point with it.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast