Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: ch tool and die full set 38 cal

Boolit Mold

ch tool and die full set 38 cal

Good afternoon gents!

Just wondering if anyone knows what I've got here. It was a gift from an old friend of the family and but I don't think I will ever use them. I would like to sell them and buy something that I will use and enjoy as I believe these were intended. I have a guy interested in buying them, but I have no clue what they're worth. I see prices for similar tools, such as herters, listed at $200 for a single die. Are those prices realistic, or just wishful thinking? Is it worth more with the original packaging and instructions? Do I have $1000 worth of stuff here Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

It appears I've got a ch tool and die 38 calibre core seater, hp die, and flat base die with the bottom punches for swc and rn, bullet ejector, and a little cloth bag of washers which I gather are old timey gas checks. with the original packaging and instructions shown.

Any ideas guys?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ch1.jpg   ch3.jpg  

Boolit Master
    What you have are actually 2 sets of swaging dies. The 2 die set is a 101 set can do full jacketed HP's. The other die is a 105 die which does lead or half jackets. The last 101 set I sold in .45 I got about $150 for. The last 101 set I sold went for less than $100. With the ejector, I would say that $250 would be a fair price for the whole shebang. You might get a little more on an auction site, but probably not a lot more.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    I believe that the washers you have are zinc, they are made for something similar to a Dave Corbin "Base guard" bullet. Search for Corbin Bullet Swaging for more information. That would also be a good place to find prices on similar dies, or look at BT Sniper here.

Vendor Sponsor

Good looking set. All with original boxes. These are "CH" dies before the current owners took over and changed the company name to CH-4d. I don't know exact dates but I think it was at least 20 years ago the company changed hands.

The two dies on the left are a standard 101 series 38 cal swage die set to make JHP bullets.

The die on the right I don't recognize but look to be a 105 series die I assume would make SWC as listed on the box.

The washers????? might be some sort of Zink base guards would be my guess.

The base punch in the upper right has me puzzled? I imagine if you used the flat base punch in the die on the right with a washer it would make a SWC with a zink base guard???

Then the bullet eject is self explanatory.

Now days the new 101 series die set goes for about $275-$300 new if available, the 105 die goes for about half that. Looking at the condition of everything you have there..... I suppose the price will be determined by how much one is willing to pay. You don't find many "CH" swage dies in that good of quality now days. Yes you can still find new CH-4d dies.

To get a real value it would be nice to the buyer to see a simple piece of dead soft lead swaged in all the dies with exact measurement to show the proper diameter is still good and not worn. Of course you would have to be carful to know what you are doing while swaging the lead slugs. Looking at the outside finish of the dies they look to be used very little but one never knows......

I can't say what the value is but if it was me I would be happy to get $300 or anything above for everything shown there, just my opinion though.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

The cupped base punch is for setting the zinc washer in place. When the bullet is swaged, a small amount of lead is extruded through the hole in the washer, and the cupped base punch spreads it out to hold the washer to the base of the bullet, much like a rivet.

As a reminder, if you decide to sell the dies on this site, you'll need to get your post count up to at least 30 meaningful posts (30/30 rule), and they can only be sold in the Swappin & Sellin section of the forum. Offers to sell, or buy, are not allowed in any other section of the forum.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.