Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webcam for scales?

Webcam for scales?

Even with the scales on an eye level shelf the eyes ain't what they used to be.

The prices for webcams are all over the place. I know diddle-do-squat about this kinda stuff. Please recommend an economical, easy to use an set up webcam that will be dedicated for scale use only. Want to connect this to undedicated kindle or ipad.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Just seach "Wifi camera" on ebay and a ton appears. I have a real cheap one to overlook my casting machine, when going away for short periods. Works great, linked up to my mobile or pad.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Master

They also make cameras you can plug into the devices. Like boroscopes and mini cameras. You postion the boroscope to see your scale and then the next day inspect your barrel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post
    Even with the scales on an eye level shelf the eyes ain't what they used to be.

The prices for webcams are all over the place. I know diddle-do-squat about this kinda stuff. Please recommend an economical, easy to use an set up webcam that will be dedicated for scale use only. Want to connect this to undedicated kindle or ipad.

It depends a bit what you are going to use it with - If you have a spare PC or windows laptop it's easy - you need a webcam with an adjustable lens something like like this.

NO eBay links, ever

You will often need a host program on your PC/laptop, this is one I use, it's free and no adverts or rubbish.
    https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads

These cameras also work on android phones and some android tablets, for these you will need an OTG cable and a free app - I use this:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...amera&hl=en_US

I use them on my spotting scope and on scales.

Last edited by Pressman; 02-01-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: eBay Link removed

Boolit Grand Master

1066, PM sent...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

what camera is that you are using....link??
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

I have used proximity and photo electric switches and sensors to control gear motors that drive a trickler.

They are pretty sensitive, like +/- a single kernel of powder.

Thanks to Rcmaveric I found and ordered this on Amazon: USB Endoscope borescope for Iphone for 13 bucks.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

This thread talking about camera's to help use with vision issues sounds like a good place to ask about camera's that can be used for watch targets.
    Does any one make a camera that is wireless that can talk directly to a lap top or Smartphone, tablet. Not through a net work like cell phone's.
    I have seen security cameras that are wireless but need to plug in the wall for power. These are short range.
    Wired camera's would work but rolling out enough wire to reach 100 yards then coiling it back is not my idea of a good time.
    On a private shooting range would be one thing you could run the wire and leave it there.
    I have seen those shooting range camera's that are for sale but don't like the price.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

I too would like to see a wireless, 50 or 100 yard range webcam for my laptop or tablet. One that I can afford!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    This thread talking about camera's to help use with vision issues sounds like a good place to ask about camera's that can be used for watch targets.
    Does any one make a camera that is wireless that can talk directly to a lap top or Smartphone, tablet. Not through a net work like cell phone's.
    I have seen security cameras that are wireless but need to plug in the wall for power. These are short range.
    Wired camera's would work but rolling out enough wire to reach 100 yards then coiling it back is not my idea of a good time.
    On a private shooting range would be one thing you could run the wire and leave it there.
    I have seen those shooting range camera's that are for sale but don't like the price.
    Leo
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...68#post4410468
    I use a camera, transmitter and receiver made for drones and a monitor made for a car back up camera. Only tested it to 500 meters works great. It does not have all the fancy stuff like shot plotter and memory but I only paid about $125.00 for it.

Boolit Bub
    Me eyes ain't what they used to be either. Took the magnifying glass off of 'helping hands' ($10) mounted it to a wood dowel, usin' it for years now. I use the reflection from the florescent light to 'underline' the zero that way my eye is always at the same level, (eye think?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wcam.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	235212

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 3GRacing View Post
    Me eyes ain't what they used to be either. Took the magnifying glass off of 'helping hands' ($10) mounted it to a wood dowel, usin' it for years now. I use the reflection from the florescent light to 'underline' the zero that way my eye is always at the same level, (eye think?)

Name:	wcam.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	235212
    That's a simple solution - I find the M500, although a good scale, especially prone to parallax reading error because the beam is so far away from the pointer. (See you have added s needle there)

Banned

Around the same time they made the first cell phones and home computers they came out with another fancy invention. Its called a digital scale. No knobs to turn no slides to slide. No problem reading the display. All for no more then a web camera costs. Even have the super fancy ones that all you do is push a button and the right charge magically appears right there in the pan.

Thanks Lloyd for you insight and edification of the advances in available technology. I really like my Gen6 but I also like my collection of beam scales. Every once in awhile it's nice to use them and that require zeroing and in my case electronics will add to the joy of beam scales and sometimes it's fun to add another gadget to your bench.

Boolit Grand Master

The only problem with digital scales is they need good, smooth power, they have to be "tared" often, can drift the zero, can be effected by EMF interference, and a lot of trust is needed to believe a random number showing up on a readout is correct. Other then that, they are OK. A beam scale works with that constant phenomenon called gravity and that rarely changes...

I use a digital scale for weighing bullets or cases and I double check the digital with my beam scales (and occasionally my Lee Safety Scale). Sometimes when .2+ grains variation is OK I'll use a digital scale but tare/check for zero every time the pan is removed from the scale. "New and Improved" many times isn't...

Steelshooter,
    Thanks, I have 12 batteries I use on my boat, sonar and camera.
    The Trans and Rec was the same But used a different camera and Monitor.
    Just under $100. They should be in about a week.
    I have a steel supplier near me. They have an area where left over stuff from other projects gets sold for scrap price. If they have some of the hard steel like targets are made from I can use that to build a protective box around the camera.
    At the price of a camera it might be just as cheap to have a few spares around.
    When the parts come in I'll report on how this set up works.
    daboone,
    Your link for the bore scope didn't work for me. I'll try searching for one that will hook to the monitor I'm getting. Thanks for the idea. A bore scope is something that I like but the ones for sale are a bit out of my price range.
    Leo

Banned
    By the time you do all this messing about, why not just buy a digital scale ?

Had one of these going on 3 years, from dear old Amazon, never a glitch, checked against my Redding beam scale --- dead on.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 3.19.30 PM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	235266

Bayleyboy see responce#15 above.

Boolit Master

this link shows a guy using a prism so he doesn't have to bend over to see read it. Scroll down towards bottom of page 1

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-powder-scale
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast