Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: alloy mix equivalents

I've used Gnumeric for over a decade. There is no longer a full Windows download but the portable version is fine for an alloy calculator.
    https://portableapps.com/apps/office/gnumeric_portable

Boolit Master
    I thought the mix of alloy such as 16/1 - 20/1 or more with pure / tin was used to modify alloy for a better fill out while maintaining the soft pure characteristics , not as a harder even though it slightly increased the hardness .
    Then using 1-2 percent of tin in a alloy such as 50/50 coww / pure balanced the tin with the antimony , to take full advantage of the antimony it needs to be of equal portion with the tin . Such as 2-2-96 or 5-5-90

Is this correct ?

Boolit Mold
    I am new too blogging, please forgive me if i put this in the wrong place. I have 100 pounds of lead I believe it is mostly pure after melting, fluxing and making ingots, it came from lead plumbing joints, a few wheel weights, lead sheets, and battery terminal ends. I was asking Rotometals about mixing 55 pounds of this mix 64%lead, 23% antimony, 12.5% tin to my existing 100 pounds to produce a decent bullet. I don't shoot competition, i'm looking to shoot 158gr bullets in a 38 special, and 200gr bullets from a 44 mag and some 175gr 40 S&W. I could use some direction from whom ever won't mind commenting. If i am good to shoot what i got great, if i should mix only 25 pounds of the above mix that is great too. Thanks so much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Funhunting14 View Post
    I am new too blogging, please forgive me if i put this in the wrong place. I have 100 pounds of lead I believe it is mostly pure after melting, fluxing and making ingots, it came from lead plumbing joints, a few wheel weights, lead sheets, and battery terminal ends. I was asking Rotometals about mixing 55 pounds of this mix 64%lead, 23% antimony, 12.5% tin to my existing 100 pounds to produce a decent bullet. I don't shoot competition, i'm looking to shoot 158gr bullets in a 38 special, and 200gr bullets from a 44 mag and some 175gr 40 S&W. I could use some direction from whom ever won't mind commenting. If i am good to shoot what i got great, if i should mix only 25 pounds of the above mix that is great too. Thanks so much.
    You should be able to use your alloy as is in low pressure loads like the 38s , light 44 loads , but a few 2-5 percent of antimony would harden your alloy for higher pressure loads 44 mag / 40 s&w . A few percent of tin and antimony not the 20-25 percent that is way to much .
    Any questions just ask .

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the response, i appreciate it immensely. If i were to add 5 pounds of the Rotometal listed above to 25 pounds of my alloy. That would provide 4% antimony and 2.25% tin would that put me in the ballpark for the heavier 44 and 40 our would you go with 5 rotometal and 20 pounds of my alloy to get into those heavier loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Funhunting14 View Post
    Thank you for the response, i appreciate it immensely. If i were to add 5 pounds of the Rotometal listed above to 25 pounds of my alloy. That would provide 4% antimony and 2.25% tin would that put me in the ballpark for the heavier 44 and 40 our would you go with 5 rotometal and 20 pounds of my alloy to get into those heavier loads.
    25 pounds - your plumbing joints probably contain extra tin . That should provide you with a hard alloy you could probably use more than 25 pounds a lot more , but ( remember boolit fit is the most important thing in shooting cast boolits ) .
    Just a thought but you might want to consider starting with casting for one cartridge at a time to get things worked out .
    The 38/357 is a good one to start with . It's very forgiving .

Welcome to cast boolits .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12