Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alloy mix equivalents

Boolit Master

alloy mix equivalents

Since my office has expired and I can't use my alloy calculator. Can someone help me out? I have researched here and all over google. But can't seem to find an answer.

50/50 mix..pure lead and clip on wheel weights is equivalent to ?? For example...16:1, 20:1 etc.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Buddy
    Your looking at 10.1 or close to 20:1

Google Docs is another option for using the calculator.

Boolit Master

I use Open Office on my windows computer and Linux has an Office equivalent aswel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I will look into Open Office, does it have an Excel program too?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Man

Yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    should be about .4%tin and 1.5% antimony.about 10.5bhn. and that depends on the coww you are getting

Boolit Master
    I have used Open Office and there is also a LibreOffice, both about the same, but reviews have LibreOffice better supported. I have used LibreOffice on a new laptop, not a lot of difference, both handle all MS file formats. LibreOffice can save files in the 'newest' MS formats for use 'at the office' with MS Office.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In richer ternary Pb-Sb-Sn alloys tin forms the intermetallic compound Sb-Sn, which provides better strength and grain refinement than either tin or antimony used alone. If the tin content exceeds the antimony content, so that all the tin is not held in solution, the structure will lose strength in aging through cellular precipitation. Linotype alloy is the ternary eutectic formula for PB-Sb-Sn alloys, having optimum strength and wetting characteristics, and so gives the greatest as-cast diameter.

Linotype-plumber's lead blends are ideal for most bullet casting and enable excellent fillout with good strength and predictable repeatability using simple weight ratios which can be produced at moderate cost. You can estimate the hardness of your blend easily:

LinoPounds(22)+LeadPounds(5) / TotalPounds = EstBHN

A 50-50 linotype-lead blend at 13.5 BHN is slightly softer than commercial hardball or Lyman No.2 alloy. (22)+(5) /2 = 13.5

A 1:2 linotype-lead blend at "about 10.5 BHN" approximates 1:20 in hardness and is well suited for revolver and black powder cartridge "smokeless" applications. (22)+2(5) /3 = 10.6 BHN

A 1:4 linotype-lead blend at 8.5 BHN approximates the hardness of 1:30 alloy and is best for black powder cartridges, in subsonic, smokeless revolver loads, or with plain based rifle bullets below 1300 fps and is satisfactory up to 1700 fps with gas checks in rifles for hollow-point hunting applications. (22)+4(5) /5 = 8.5 BHN

A 1:5 linotype-lead blend at 8 BHN approximates 1:40 alloy and is the frugal shooters best bang for the buck to make your alloy go far as possible in revolver, cowboy loads, black powder cartridge, and subsonic hollow-point hunting applications. (22)+5(5) / 6 = 8 BHN

Common backstop scrap and COWW are of similar hardness so you can use these ratios of Linotype and Wheelweight blends, to estimate hardness. If you know that your source of linotype has been melted and recast several times it will be less than 22 BHN and you should adjust that factor in the formula when estimating your mix:

[Lino-Pounds(22) + WW-pounds(12)] / TotalPounds = BHN

1:10 linotype to wheelweights 1(22) +10(12) = 142/11 = 12.9 BHN
    1:5 linotype to wheelweights: 1(22) + 5(12) = 82 /6 = 13.6 BHN
    1:4 linotype to wheelweights: 1(22) + 4(12) = 70 / 5 = 14 BHN
    1:3 linotype to wheelweights: 1(22) + 3(12) = 58 / 4 = 14.5 BHN
    1:2 linotype to wheelweights: 1(22) + 2(12) = 46 / 3 = 15 BHN
    1:1 linotype to wheelweights: 1(22) + 1(12) = 34 / 2 = 17 BHN
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Antimony has roughly 3 times the hardening effect as tin. Wheel weight are about 3% antimony so 50/50 is 1.5%, equivalent to about 4.5% tin, not quite 20:1.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Since my office has expired and I can't use my alloy calculator. Can someone help me out? I have researched here and all over google. But can't seem to find an answer.

50/50 mix..pure lead and clip on wheel weights is equivalent to ?? For example...16:1, 20:1 etc.

So back to op's original question which would make sense to me. I was under the impression when mixing 16:1 was a mix of pure lead and tin(pewter).

I tried a mix of 16lbs of pure lead with a pound of pewter. I was expecting a BH around 11 since that is the receipie posted all over the net but ended up at soft, 7.5.

I see the op is asking if using a 50/50 mix of coww and pure and then using it in 16:1, 20:1, ect. Which makes more sense on how my mix would have climbed to a BH of 11. If this is how it's done it must be a BIG mystery since I asked on several posts what went wrong and had no logical answers...but just to use my alloy.

So was I given the wrong information on how to mix? I was told to use pure lead which obviously didn't work but on the good side it still made a good accurate boolit that shoots sub MOA out of my 77/44 at 1675 fps.

...so the mystery continues

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    So back to op's original question which would make sense to me. I was under the impression when mixing 16:1 was a mix of pure lead and tin(pewter).

I tried a mix of 16lbs of pure lead with a pound of pewter. I was expecting a BH around 11 since that is the receipie posted all over the net but ended up at soft, 7.5.

I see the op is asking if using a 50/50 mix of coww and pure and then using it in 16:1, 20:1, ect. Which makes more sense on how my mix would have climbed to a BH of 11. If this is how it's done it must be a BIG mystery since I asked on several posts what went wrong and had no logical answers...but just to use my alloy.

So was I given the wrong information on how to mix? I was told to use pure lead which obviously didn't work but on the good side it still made a good accurate boolit that shoots sub MOA out of my 77/44 at 1675 fps.
    Just a thought or 2 here
    Are you checking ingots or bullets for hardness? ingots will check much different from bulletsfrom cooling rate.

How long did you wait to check the hardness? again any alloy will check much different right after casting then say in 10 days

Is your pewter close to 100%? If not the hardness will not be what you calculate as pure tin.

I casted the boolts a year and half ago. They were at 7.5 two days after casting and the same six months later. Has anyone casted 16:1 with PURE TIN here and pure lead with the results of a BH of 11? I put out several posts on this and never received an answer...just questions of how I mixed it and suggestions. There were a few other posters that did what I did mixing 16:1 and received about the exact same BH harness. I tested both ignot and boolit with pure that was a 5 Bh and I never tested my pewter other than an in ignot form and don’t remember the Bh.

Boolit Master
    I can say o do use 20 in 1 and 40 in1 mix and both come out reasonable close to what they should be with my LBT tester.The Tin is pure from rotometals and the pure lead I used is from x ray room.I have never tried mixing up any 16 in 1.This is strange you should get at least 9bhn I calulate 10.3.could be a few things not sure what.

Moderator Emeritus

...so the mystery continues
    Have you investigated your Pewter?
    while most all Pewter products made in the West are lead-free, some pewter from other sources may contain some Lead.
    >>>Here is one with 62% Lead.
    https://www.belmontmetals.com/produc...-pewter-alloy/

If your 16:1 alloy is measuring 7.5 BHN, I highly doubt it is truly 16:1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I can say o do use 20 in 1 and 40 in1 mix and both come out reasonable close to what they should be with my LBT tester.The Tin is pure from rotometals and the pure lead I used is from x ray room.I have never tried mixing up any 16 in 1.This is strange you should get at least 9bhn I calulate 10.3.could be a few things not sure what.
    Someone actually did it. Thanks for the heads up. My pewter must have had a good amount of lead content in it i used at the time is the only thing I could say. I have been buying nothing put marked pewter and tin items now. Mostly dinnerware.

Jonb, yeah...I call it 16:1 but a 16:1 mix of lead and pewter since it’s a third softer than what I thought it would be. I used all of it up and casted about 20 to 30 lbs lbs of hollow points to burn it up on. The bad part is it’s accurate and when I burn up my mystery alloy it’s going to be fun trying to replicate it. Actually I might have some more of the mix ingots put away in the garage.

Pure tin must be a lot harder than pewter. I almost think my old pewter smelt was in the mid 20 ‘s or higher when I checked it?

I’ve learned since then if I want a 10 Bh alloy I just mix 50/50 a COWW and pure and add 2% to the mix and call it a day. I’m sure there isn’t much different in expansion, penatration, and terminal velocity between it and a correct mix of 16:1.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-09-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have went to testing all the lead I get.One reason is to repeat an alloy the other to save on alloy.Not only these but it saves on propane and time.The old guessing game is over here.I like to make up 350lb batches of alloy.My thought was to allways add a bit of tin to make sure I had enough for good fill out.so just 1% extra tin over what I realy need wold be 3.5 lb or about 50 bucks at new tin prices.Then there is the guess of what I thought I had.Mybe I mix 20lbs of alloy cast a few bullets wait a few weeks to test the harness oops I am way off so I mix more unknow alloy with that.This may go on a while before I get what I want lol.in the mean time I drian the propane tank then drive to get it filled.Now days I collect some lead wait till I get enough of what I have a good idea it is then clean it up.I pour angle iron ingots stack them up in separate batches and send it off for testing.This way I only melt the lead 3 times at the most and I have bullets. I sure save time this way and the old back.More time for shooting and loading.Now I need to work on getting a Dillon lol

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I will look into Open Office, does it have an Excel program too?
    https://www.openoffice.org/download/

In open office Calc is the equivalent of Excel. The alloy calculator does work fine with Calc. For the most part the files are compatible between MS Office and Open Office. Minor formatting stuff won't always be exactly the same in Word but for the most part Open Office is able to do for free what MS Office is charging major bucks for. I can work on documents in Open Office on my home computer and then open them at work with MS Office and continue working.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Someone actually did it. Thanks for the heads up. My pewter must have had a good amount of lead content in it i used at the time is the only thing I could say. I have been buying nothing put marked pewter and tin items now. Mostly dinnerware.

Jonb, yeah...I call it 16:1 but a 16:1 mix of lead and pewter since it’s a third softer than what I thought it would be. I used all of it up and casted about 20 to 30 lbs lbs of hollow points to burn it up on. The bad part is it’s accurate and when I burn up my mystery alloy it’s going to be fun trying to replicate it. Actually I might have some more of the mix ingots put away in the garage.

Pure tin must be a lot harder than pewter. I almost think my old pewter smelt was in the mid 20 ‘s or higher when I checked it?

I’ve learned since then if I want a 10 Bh alloy I just mix 50/50 a COWW and pure and add 2% to the mix and call it a day. I’m sure there isn’t much different in expansion, penatration, and terminal velocity between it and a correct mix of 16:1.
    I would send in a piece of that alloy or one of the bullets to member BNE to XRF test so you can find out what alloy it is you be shooting. Then you can make more of those accurate bullets.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 02-12-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast