WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want a great heavy 30-30 load?

Boolit Master

Most 30-30's have a short throat but a throating reamer would allow the boolit to be seated out of case body.

Wow! 2145 FPS?!?! Sounds like a great load for elk/bear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Been using that bullet and powder in my 30/30 Imp. Nice light handy rifle with some power at home and in the bear tooth’s.
    My load is about a hundred feet per second faster, shot some rockchucks and lots of pocket pins with it so far. The cup nose version is my choice, it went through seven gallon jugs of water.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post
    Been using that bullet and powder in my 30/30 Imp. Nice light handy rifle with some power at home and in the bear tooth’s.
    My load is about a hundred feet per second faster, shot some rockchucks and lots of pocket pins with it so far. The cup nose version is my choice, it went through seven gallon jugs of water.
    Excellent sounding load!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_AZ View Post
    Wow! 2145 FPS?!?! Sounds like a great load for elk/bear

Don’t forget moose! We live and hunt in grizzly country so it’s nice to have the extra weight and power in a light and handy rifle.

Boolit Master
    Junior that used to be on here got me to using heavy bullets in the 30wcf, they make jim dandy loads for ole mossy horns! 195gr at 1900fps will get the job done.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Want a great heavy 30-30 load?

Miss Junior …… If’n I remember right he’s the one introduced me to this place. Which has le(a)d me to buying moulds, starting reloading, slippery slope of boolit insanity! I will be trying out heavy boolits in my Winny

Last edited by fiberoptik; 02-08-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Boolit Bub
    i use that same boolit with 20.6gr of h4198, it only gives 1695fps but it went through both shoulders and a rib on my whitetail at 90y this fall,
    i will have to pick up some leverevolution powder though, that extra velocity will be needed if i draw moose or elk next season!

Boolit Buddy
    Is it safe to have a gas check below the neck of your bullet? I don't know what the likelihood would be... but if the gas check somehow came lose from the base of the bullet, that wouldn't be good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by weeple2000 View Post
    Is it safe to have a gas check below the neck of your bullet? I don't know what the likelihood would be... but if the gas check somehow came lose from the base of the bullet, that wouldn't be good, right?
    You use the GC that clip on like Hornady or Gator GC. you will not worry about the GC fall off.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
    Attachment 235119. Leverevolution is also great for the 35 Rem with Speer 220 grain FP and heavy cast like the Saeco #352/ Accurate 245S.
    Any idea what the BHN would be for that mix? I'm thinking maybe 12/13?

Thank you,

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Looks an awful lot like my Saeco 305
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

I like this thread and I believe that this will make me drag my old 30-30 carbine Marlin with the straight stock out and give it a go for a while. Mine is pre-safety, but unfortunately though not as old as yours . I do like the looks of that heavy NOE boolit too!
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

NOt exactly “heavy” but I cast up a goodly pile of Lyman 174 FP yesterday!!

Plans to Launch them from a few dirty thurtys are definitely on the agenda! I have about 8# od 3031 to burn up!

CW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8DCB424F-9DD3-4CA8-BA0A-9CA6A9920686.jpg  
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 05-11-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I use a 185GC RD style in 336, GC is below the neck but no exposed PB. Pushed kinda lazy today @1600 fps with Rx7 - 1/2" @ 50. Still gonna bust up a close hog real well. 170PB with unique almost as good and a lot cheaper on powder.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Another good reason for case filling loads.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

This thread gave me a great idea on a heavy boolit for my .32 Win. SPL! So I sent a new design off to Tom at Accurate Molds to see if it's feasible. Should be a 32-210 hammer and can't wait to test it later this summer!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Boolit Buddy
    How much does it cost for a one off custom run like that?

Boolit Grand Master

I've killed quite a few deer, black tail and mulies, with the 311041HP (mine weight 178 gr fully dressed with my "hunting" alloy) along with a couple elk out of several different 30 cals (30-30,308W and 30-06) at 2000 - 2200 fps. Never felt the need for any heavier of a bullet in 30 caliber. With the advent of LeveRevolution powder I now push that bullet at 2300 fps out of my 24" barreled M94 30-30. I did develop some loads for junior (RIP) using his RCBS 180 gr bullets (weighed considerably more than that) with Win 760 powder and LvR powder. Those proved to be excellent heaviy cast bullet loads also. The thread should still be available.

However, some time back I found some Winchester 190 gr Silver tips at a gunshow. Those were loaded originally in the 303 Savage and had an excellent "killing" reputation given the 1900 - 200 fps of the 303 Savage. I've been meaning to develop a load with LvR powder in the 30-30 with them but just haven't gotten to it.....yet.....

Attachment 241588
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

How much does it cost for a one off custom run like that?
    Somewhere between $76 and $217 depending on number of cavities and mold material. A pretty good deal, if you ask me.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/moldBlock.php

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast