RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 9422

Boolit Master

Winchester 9422

Does anyone have one? I've been lusting for one since they first came out. Between putting food on the table for 5 kids and keeping a roof over their heads I've never had one till a couple days ago. What a beautiful gun. I doubt it has had 100 rounds through it, and other than some slight bluing wear on the barrel band, it looks new. It's killing me the weather is too cold to shoot. May have to go to the indoor range next week. If you have one, what do you think of it?

Boolit Master

Yup fine guns! No I never did have one. But I have a couple Henrys and have had a few Marlins and didn't everyone have a Ithaca 49?

Enjoy it sounds like its well deserved!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Haven't shot mine in a while, but my son killed a bunch of squirrels with it.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I have a 9422M. It is NOT for sale. Great rifle, surprisingly accurate, and a joy to shoot.

I've got two, a standard 9422, and a 9422 XTR. Nice little rifles. The 9422 didn't have a mark on it until I let some beginning young kids use it to get started in Cowboy Action. Now it's a used gun, but those kids sure enjoyed shooting it, so it was worth it.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Bought mine new in 1974? in Lawton, OK, a new 2LT at Fort Sill. I think I like my 39A a little better, but we shoot a Henry .22 and a Henry .17 more.

I owned one some years back, it was beautiful! It let 2 out of the magazine though. I sent it back to Winchester and the fixed it and returned it. It continued the problem so I traded it back to the gun store. This was bout 2003 or so, I wasn't wise enough to know what I had or that it was worth getting fixed. I've wanted another ever since.

Boolit Master

I had one in .22WMR, shot well enough. Tumbled Jackrabbits well enough. But It was lost with most of my Guns when My DAD passed. His 2nd Wife ( may that family destroying witch burn in hades) refused My request to return our Family's belongings & My Guns.

Never Replaced it as I had a growing Family and a MARLIN 39D, was getting into Cowboy Action Shooting. Would like to have another. But can't Hunt anymore, so just have to settle for good memories of that fine rifle.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Won mine at an SCI Raffle back in the late 80's. Probably haven't put 300 rounds through it. Beautiful piece of wood on it.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Man
    Recently picked up a 9422 XTR mint condition. It’s beautiful but have not put many rounds through it due to extreme cold temps. Action on it is incredible. Some day my grandson and or granddaughter will inherit it. Till then it’s mine to enjoy.

Boolit Master
    Mine is an XTR as well. Looks almost too good to shoot, but I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can. It may be a little worse for wear when the grandsons have to fight over it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an xtr. w/checkering. Bought it back in about '87. Beautiful to look at, sweet to shoot, smooth as warm butter. Will never sell it.

Boolit Buddy
    9422 LR is a great little rifle I have had mine since I was a kid, think my dad gave to me in 72- 73 like my 62a better so 9422 has not been shot much. I picked up 9417 17 hmr few years back ran a few rounds though it put it away. Dang near pulled the trigger on 9422m this last weekend at the gun show but I controlled myself.

Boolit Master
    I own a well used 9422MXTR. Good shooting .22 magnum rifle. As mentioned mine is rather used but I've had no issues at all with mine.

As far as .22 lever-guns go....I own a BL-22 and a Henry H001 .22(standard model Henry) along with the Winchester .22 mag. I actually like the Winchester 9422 better than the Browning .22 and as far as it goes the Winchester and my Henry .22 run neck and neck concerning accuracy and comfort of use. I wish I had a Marlin 39 to compare with the other three .22 lever-guns!

My 1978 Model 9422M- XTR .22 Magnum, with a clamp-on NECG (New England Custom Gun) receiver peepsight.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

We used to call the 9422 magnum the North Dakota beaver gun. At the time gun show prices were $225 for nice ones. Should have stashed a few more!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one NIB. Too pretty to shoot. I should sell the thing. LOL. Got it at Gander Mountain many years ago when they were having a sale...paid less than $300 for it.
    Don Verna

Best lever action .22 ever made. Fit, finish, shootability. Has "The Wonderful Winchester Feel", to quote the old counter display sign.

One of the gun clubs I belong to has a .22 rimfire range with metal spinner target at various ranges from 25 to 100 yards. The 9422 is one of the more popular rifles that the new shooters that I take there use.

Moderator Emeritus

I have both the (bought in 1975) 9422 and the 9422M. Way in the back of my safe, I haven't shot either in years, not that I shot the Magnum hardly at all. I bought the .22 on sale for $79.99, and was so impressed I went back to the store, and purchased its .22 mag sister for ten dollars more. The .22 version was the rifle my older son first shot -- remarkably accurate and trouble free. For my younger son, we got the single-shot lever .22 -- I believe that was made by Ithica.
    All in all, though, the two Winchester 9422s were/are indeed great rifles -- I doubt if they'd even be the slightest disappointment to anyone. One "tip" we learned which I will pass on, and you may or may not heed, is we learned (in my rifle) that the wax from .22 bullets really built up; hence, we switched to the copper-clad .22s, and no problems. (I may be fuzzy here -- it's been forty years or so ).
    GREAT FIND!
    geo

I got my at as a kid, it was a bribe present from my parents. Bought new for me in 1994 so it’s its the Winchester 100th year run. It’s checkered and blued but not the anniversary edition though. Accurate as can be made my best shot ever with it, hit a spent 22lr case at 100 yards with it (May have been a lucky fluke though), have never repeated that shot since but still. Hit plenty of spent 12gauge hulls though at 100 yards with it though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast