MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with Caldwell Tackdriver Shooting Bag?

Any experience with Caldwell Tackdriver Shooting Bag?

This is a fairly inexpensive item that's available with or without fill. It offers support over a fairly long section of barrel or forearm - maybe 6 or 8 inches. Wondering how this would work for narrow forearms, when used in tandem with a rear bag. Any happy/unhappy users here?

If you bought the unfilled bag, what did you use for filler? I read that people are trying sand, birdseed, walnut shells (??), corn husks and more.

If there's a better bag available for the money, I'm listening.

Thanks
    Last edited by PBSmith; 01-31-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Yours is an easy question *I* have a bit of a challenge in answering. At one of the clubs I belong to, old blue jeans' legs are sewn into "pillows" by shooters' significant others, and filled with masonry sand. The only affect on these is, on occasion, a too-hot barrel will scorch a bit -- but, other than that, they are exceptional -- and the price is right! I have commercial bags made by Protektor which have worked awesomely -- save one, which a mouse (my guess?) chewed up a bit over one winter... I use TSC (Target Shooting Corp) rifle rest ( https://www.targetshooting.com ) which came with these, but I'd be surprised if any commercial ones wouldn't function quite nicely. Again, however, discarded blue jean legs, sewn, and filled with (from Home Depot) sand -- imho -- are hard to beat.
    Just my experience, and suggestion...
    geo

Boolit Master
    The ones I am familiar with are a little over a foot long....and when filled with sand become ridiculously heavy. I would fill with something less dense. There is one at the camp I hunt out of and it also got wet....so it not only weighs half a ton but is hard as concrete.

Boolit Master

I have wanted one for a while...
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Yours is an easy question *I* have a bit of a challenge in answering. At one of the clubs I belong to, old blue jeans' legs are sewn into "pillows" by shooters' significant others, and filled with masonry sand. The only affect on these is, on occasion, a too-hot barrel will scorch a bit -- but, other than that, they are exceptional -- and the price is right! I have commercial bags made by Protektor which have worked awesomely -- save one, which a mouse (my guess?) chewed up a bit over one winter... I use TSC (Target Shooting Corp) rifle rest ( https://www.targetshooting.com ) which came with these, but I'd be surprised if any commercial ones wouldn't function quite nicely. Again, however, discarded blue jean legs, sewn, and filled with (from Home Depot) sand -- imho -- are hard to beat.
    Just my experience, and suggestion...
    geo
    Like minds at work here. Over lunch I was thinking: a couple of small socks filled with sand, beans, whatever - spaced and secured longitudinally over a built-up wooden rest so as to give a snug fit to the forearm - - - ?? I am Budget Bob, so your suggestion is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    The ones I am familiar with are a little over a foot long....and when filled with sand become ridiculously heavy. I would fill with something less dense. There is one at the camp I hunt out of and it also got wet....so it not only weighs half a ton but is hard as concrete.
    I was wrong about the size. I looked at a youtube video and saw what you're probably talking about. Real workout with sand, but I don't know is anything lighter will provide adequate support.
    Thanks for your response.

I got an empty one and filled it with cedar shavings and after 3 refills to compact it it is significantly lighter and very rigid.

Moderator Emeritus

In response to weight -- We have both a storage shed for target stands, targets, stapler, clays... and the sandbags. Further, at the benches, they are all under quite the aluminum-roof cover. Hence, I've never seen them wet, albeit I do concur they'd most likely get quite heavy.
    On the other hand, albeit I'd never put any on a scale, I'd wager none weigh more than ten pounds. No such thing as a free lunch, I reckon the bulk (and resultant weight) afford the gentle but most stable platform for supporting one's firearms barrel -- it's intended purpose. Some fellows stack two or three for the front, and place one under butt, which also provides a repeatable trajectory when using their chronographs.
    Note, too, the entire leg is not used -- they're cut into maybe 3rds or 4ths-length, so a completed bag is maybe eight to ten inches long, by the size from diameter/size of the jean used.
    The purpose, I am told, of using Home Depot masonry sand is this is "washed" -- so it will NOT stick together, harden, or "turn into cement" as, perhaps, bags made using road-side sand which is encased in clay as well as other dusts.
    Hope this added info helps clarify...
    geo

Boolit Master

I use regular bags, but filled mine with used corncob media and walnut media, packs tight and the big bag is still one-hand-handy to carry. Just dont leave it out or it gets much heavier!
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I use shotgun shot bags. I used to use blue jean legs. Both filled with sand, after the sand was put into plastic bags to try to keep it dry as possible.

For the blue jeans, turn them inside out, take a wire ( Rebar twist wires work great) & twist the end of the leg & wrap it with the wire, Turn it back right side out & fill & then seal the open end with another length of wire.

Shotgun shot bags just need one end wire tied after filling.

We have "sugar sand" ( sandstone slots cut into hillsides for roads.) around here that is free.
    I have considered other things like washed river pebbles from the local landscaping & nursery place, or from some hardware outlets like Menards, Home Depot or Lowes, etc.. The pebbles are about the size of a "pea". The are also called, "Pea rock", or "pea gravel" in some places.

Next time I have to replace or repair( it happens with snubbies on occasion when testing loads. ) I am going to try the pebbles.

Pebbles should not matter if the bags get a bit wet, as they sometimes do. Should dry faster as well..
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Cat litter or speedy dry is what i have used inplace of heavy sand when bags need to be transported.

I still use bags made from denum jeans legs as described above. Never gave thought to making my own bag. Good thinking!!

CW

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using that Caldwell bag for years am very satisfied with it. Once, I put it on my truck bedside and shot a crow at 296 yds, measured with rangefinder.

Boolit Master
    I used old denim jeans legs fo about 20 years.
    Then I laid down what was for me a large chunk of cash and bought a Hart Heavy Varmit Rest and 3 Protector leather bags.

All my rifles instantly became more accurate. All my reloads performed better and load development was faster.
    The Hart rest has saved its own cost many times in reduced components expended while working up loads.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy

PB I use the Tackdriver, works great as a front bag, your rifle will easily balance on it while y our checking your targets. I bought mine filled, it's heavy but not more than I can manage. I think I paid $25.00 for it at the LGS.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    I have a "Bulls Bag" similar to the Caldwell; poor substitute for a heavy pedestal rest.

Boolit Master

I bought one of these (Caldwell DeadShot Shooting Bag Combo) last week and have take it to the range twice. It is "Filled" and lighter weight than sand. It works; but I am not sure that I am liking it yet. It seems to rock when one pulls the rifle butt into the shoulder. I guess I'll try it a few more times and compare groups with using a BiPod on the same rifles or the Caldwell Bags.

I like the Old Blue Jeans filled with sand. I made up over two dozen of these in the last 5 years and left a couple at each of the Ranges I use. They "DISAPPEARED" in a week. Sooooo... I Took a Permanent Magic Marker and Wrote "Property of XXXXX Range, and left them at the Ranges. within two months - all of them "DISAPPEARED". The values of Club Shooters may be deteriorating.

I prefer shooting over Sand filled bags compared to the other options (Bi-Pods, Caldwell Bags I just bought, etc..); but... the Sand Filled Jeans are heavy and adds to the "Soldiers Load" one has to collect and transport to the range each time.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I recently purchased the Caldwell Tack Driver bag on Ebay, I paid $32 ppd for it. I like it. The Tack Driver has a wedge fit in it, for the rifle stock, aiding stability. No rear bag necessiary. Mine came filled. I never opened it up, but I believe it is filled with sand. It has a nice carrying handle. I used to use the leftover, canvas 25 lb shot bags, which I had dozens of, filled with sand, and closed with a heavy duty cable tie. They worked decently, but the Tack Driver is nicer. I shoot spring powered airguns a lot, and none would group well over sandbags. They shoot well over the Tack Driver, possibly because the stock is gripped by the sides, rather than resting directly on the sandbag. Something to do with the spring vibrations.

Boolit Buddy
    I just hope the quality of the sewing and materials has improved.I bought my son a Caldwell The Rock rest complete with bags a couple years ago.In a couple weeks the seams had blown out on the rear bag.Should have bought PROTEKTOR bags the rest works fine but the bags aren't the best.

Boolit Buddy

The first one I got got a hole within 20 shots, called Caldwell and they sent me a new one. They acknowledged they had a problem with a material that was substituted. The second one has been great for several years now.

I’d recommend filling it or the denim pillows with the cheap air soft beads or if you are in Louisiana, Mardi Gras bead necklaces. If it gets damp, the content won’t rot or turn solid.

Bevan
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

I just checked out some videos on it. Looks like a nice product. Every caldwell item i have. Im happy with.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast