Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Propane burner suggestions

Boolit Mold

Propane burner suggestions

I am looking for an inexpensive propane burner option to melt scrap lead. I can build the pot stand but could use advise for a propane burner ( possibly with some adjustability for flame but not mandatory ) . Trying to keep it as low cost as possible. Thanks everyone.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a turkey fryer on sale and made my pot out of an old LP barbeque tank. Cost about $30 total.

Boolit Master
    You can set your pot on three or four cement blocks, leaving a hole up the center. Next, get a ninety-degree, two inch metal pipe elbow and a tiger torch. Block the elbow under the pot and run the torch in the other end. A cut-down propane tank makes a great melting pot for reclaiming scrap lead.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Lowest cost burner that I found was the Harbor Freight weed burner torch. Mine was about $15 on sale a few years ago. With up to 500,000 BTU/Hr it has the highest heat output also.

Banned
    Check craigslist and garage sales. for cheap. You don't need a kazillion BTU's to smelt with, people do it on camp stoves.

Boolit Buddy
    Turkey fryer with stand $40 from bass pro (on sale). I then made the pot from an old propane tank, had the propane company remove the valve assembly...free

Boolit Grand Master

Haunt estate sales , crawfish boiling and turkey frying rigs are usually in every garage , $5.00 to $10.00 will get you the burner, stand and a pot or two . Save the pots ... you just might want to fry a turkey or have a crawfish boil .

I just noticed you in CA....maybe there won't be any boiling or frying rigs where you live... CA got crawfish ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Check out Northern Hydraulics website. The have a propane stove on sale for $27.99.
    I have the same one that I melt my lead with. The idem number is 330973. They
    have a lot of things that many here would use.
    webfoot10

Boolit Mold
    Checked the Northern Hydraulic site but no luck. I did look at Harbor Freight and there weed burner is $19.99 . Thanks for the elbow idea. I have some time and will keep a loo out for a turkey fryer also. Thanks everyone for your help and advise.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have an ancient cast iron burner. Three rings with a valve for each one. To get it to heat to max, I had work on the regulator to get more pressure /volume. I was wondering if anyone else has done the same to get more out of their burners.

Boolit Master

The Harbor Freight burner has no extra regulator. It can output 500,000 BTU/Hr because it connects directly to the bottle so it's 'regulated' at the propane vapor pressure of about 100 psi.

Boolit Grand Master

I built my burner. Its a "Jet" burner and works on the same principal as those weed burners. It will melt 350-400# of most lead in 20 minutes or so. The only drawback is that its noisy!

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I have been using a turkey fryer from bass pro
    for 10 years +.
    The stand is strong enough to hold a deep Dutch
    oven full of lead.
    No problem!!!
    The pot is from Harbor freight.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dmit View Post
    Checked the Northern Hydraulic site but no luck. I did look at Harbor Freight and there weed burner is $19.99 . Thanks for the elbow idea. I have some time and will keep a loo out for a turkey fryer also. Thanks everyone for your help and advise.
    Just go to food service + processing , Single burner propane stove. Mine works great
    but I only use a two qt. cast iron pot. as I'm not sure how much the cast iron legs on
    the stove will hold. So far no problem.
    webfoot10

Cheap.... Keep your eyes peeled for a junk BBQ grill setting out by the garbage. Lots of times they got an accessory burner on the side. Might could find one on Craigslist or Facebook yard sale page free too.

I got a 500,000 BTU burner on a stand off Evil-bay for about $40. It works great with my 20lb converted propane tank for a pot.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    Just got a deep fryer burner . It has a large stand and it throws a pretty good flame. Can't find any indication on the hose regulator of its output. I think it will work well. Next is finding a pot. What is a good flux material? I have seen You Tube vid's where people use sawdust and or candle wax. I used to get beeswax for free many years ago but I would imagine it is expensive these days. Thanks everyone for your help.

Bass Pro Shops has a 6.5 quart aluminum fish fryer on sale for $29.97, 58,000 BTU burner. May give it a try.

Boolit Master

I've heard too many stories of aluminum pots suddenly letting go and spilling hot lead everywhere. I use cast iron, so don't know first hand.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dmit View Post
    Just got a deep fryer burner . It has a large stand and it throws a pretty good flame. Can't find any indication on the hose regulator of its output. I think it will work well. Next is finding a pot. What is a good flux material? I have seen You Tube vid's where people use sawdust and or candle wax. I used to get beeswax for free many years ago but I would imagine it is expensive these days. Thanks everyone for your help.
    A cut off propane tank makes a nice smelting pot. You will need to remove the valve and wash it out before cutting into it. Many guys even fill it with water and let it sit for a few days. A large cast iron Dutch Oven also works well. Cast iron needs to have the temperature applied gradually and care should be taken to not bang on it when its hot.

Many of us use pine sawdust or chips for flux followed by some type of wax. Paraffin, crayons, old candles or bees wax all work well. You can buy a bag of pine chips at Walmart in the pet section pretty cheap.

You will need a few other tools also. A couple of large kitchen spoons, both solid and slotted are good for skimming the junk off of your melt. Stay away from the ones that have the handles soldered on. You will also need a few ingot molds. A nice ladle and a nice skimmer will make your job of smelting much easier and faster. While a little pricy they will last a lifetime and I consider mine to be a good investment.