Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun with ice.

Boolit Buddy

Fun with ice.

We now have enough ice for ice testing as I call it. Shot some cast bullets into ice today for recovery. Works good if alloy and speed are compatible. They come out about perfect! Can't tell from water sometimes.

Very interesting!
    Aim Small Miss Small

Boolit Master

pictures?

Boolit Master
    way Bach when things were simple... good friend and I had a ball riding around shooting icicles that hung on cliff faces around here. We had permission to hunt on all the farms along there, good days. Anyhow we used Win 94s and 311410 cast from rim fire bullets powered by Herco. Really miss those days.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    A friend and I used to take his moms dishes, line them up on the deck railing and pour some water into them. The ice would slide right off them in a few hours and make great targets.
    We would have a pile of them stuck in the snow for the weekend. Great targets and no cleanup.

Boolit Buddy
    Those ice targets sound fun! I was just shooting into ice in a pond. It's interesting that they come out looking perfect! Don't have pix as I have dumb phone but nothing too complicated. Just blast the ice and get showered with chunks and dig it out.

Quote Originally Posted by lavenatti View Post
    A friend and I used to take his moms dishes, line them up on the deck railing and pour some water into them. The ice would slide right off them in a few hours and make great targets.
    We would have a pile of them stuck in the snow for the weekend. Great targets and no cleanup.
    I like that idea. You could add food coloring for a variety.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I just watched a video on YouTube, where a couple of young guys were shooting, I think 9mm into the ice of a frozen lake. They filmed one of the jacketed bullets spinning and spinning on the ice. It was interesting. I didn’t think to save where it was. Did anyone else see it and want to post the link?

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    I don't shoot ice targets anymore, at least with jacketed ammo.

Just a couple inches of ice will certainly stop a bullet in it's tracks, and leave it lying right by where it impacted often times, but the richochetts were really something else. I've shot at some questionable targets before, but that mad whizzing and whirling made me think twice about doing that again.

Definetly didn't help we were using steel core.

The appeal of just freezing some water in containers with some food colouring is obvious, close to free and no cleanup, but I got scared off, heh.

Boolit Master
    seems odd it can catch bullets without damaging them more than water, would like to see pics if possible

Someone on this site told of shooting into a snowbank. After the snow melted, the boolits were pristine and just laying on the ground.

Boolit Buddy
    You guys aren't from Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by MSD MIke View Post
    You guys aren't from Texas.
    No they surely aren't from TX.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Someone on this site told of shooting into a snowbank. After the snow melted, the boolits were pristine and just laying on the ground.
    I do it all the time, in spring it's like treasure, lol. Shooting into ice is dangerous, frozen trees is just as dangerous. We would shoot icicles with our bb guns to bring them down and make places safer. When I was a young boy a few older guys had a box full of peat and sawdust to recover bullets, fmjs and AP would always go right through and were never recovered. I seen mythbusters shot ice to see the spinning bullet effect.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

With a bullet spinning that fast, I wonder if it gives a friction burn due to the spinning as it comes to a stop inside someone?
    Thar is a lot of rpms here.
    Over 88,000 rpm for a 9mm with a 1 in 9 twist(115 grain doing 1100fps).
    Last edited by tazman; 02-03-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Snow indeed does work that way. I find a ton of bullets every melt, my guess is even the ones that aren't outright stopped by the snow if there's not enough just glance off the frozen hard ground and end up sitting on the surface.

With a bullet spinning that fast, I wonder if it gives a friction burn due to the spinning as it comes to a stop inside someone?
    Thar is a lot of rpms here.
    Over 1400 rpm for a 9mm with a 1 in 9 twist(115 grain doing 1100fps).

I don't believe the bullet is spinning that fast. If it could fly for a full minute it would rotate a total of 1400 times...over it's entire flight...it only turns once every 9 inches....so...for example if it hits a person...it would only rotate once from front to back if a person was 9" thick.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Check your arithmetic!

A bullet at 1000 FPS, in a 1 in 12 twist, spins at 1000 FPS, or 60000 rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I don't believe the bullet is spinning that fast. If it could fly for a full minute it would rotate a total of 1400 times...over it's entire flight...it only turns once every 9 inches....
    The rpm figure is like a snapshot for the moment.
    It would make one turn in the 9 inches, but it also covers that distance very quickly.

Here's something kind of cool:
    Another 'do the math' exercise that comes out with a interesting number is--- if a dragster's engine is turning 10,000 rpm--
    on a 1/4 mile run it covers in 10 seconds, the crankshaft may only actually rotate a little less than 1000 or so times.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast