WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 454629 - top punch info needed

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 454629 - top punch info needed

Gents - I found this 2C mould second hand, locally for a very good deal, thought it would make a nice heavy for my 45 colts. It looks unused, but no original box. Marked Freedom Arms on the side along with the typical Lyman info, from the limited info I can find, I'm assuming was a special run for FA years ago. It's suppose to throw a 300Gr FNGC boolit. I am trying to find the correct top punch number for this mould. I've called Lyman, the CS lady was very nice, but said they didn't make it and had no info on it. I told her I was looking at it with the Lyman name stamped on it and she put me on hold, told me later they'd have to do some research and call me back. No luck or call in 2 weeks. I called FA, gentleman I spoke to, said he recalls them from years ago, but no current info and he'd look around and call me, if he found anything. I've tried the internet for info, pics and have even gone thru Castpics charts and old Lyman catalogs, no luck. So I'm now asking folks here, does anyone else have one of these laying around in an original box with the TP# printed on the side. I'm not sure if they even made it into a regular production catalog, but I can't find it in the few older ones, I have on hand here. I now I could probably use another TP (probably #649) and it would be functional, but it has become more of a quest for the actual info now. Thanks to anyone that can help me out! Bill in MA

If it's a flat nose bullet, just use a flat top punch. Accurate molds sell a three pack of different sizes for $5
    http://accuratemolds.com/topPunch.php
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    I have several that will work, at this time I'd just like to find out what number TP was assigned by Lyman to the mold. Since FA and Lyman could not help and virtually no info on the internet, I'm hoping someone here may have one or atleast the info. Thanks Bill

Boolit Master

I use top punch #190

Boolit Mold
    Funny this comes up now. I called them 2 weeks ago and asked the same question. The gentleman I talked to didn't have an answer handy, but put me on hold for a few minutes. when he returned he told me 424 and 190 would both work.

Boolit Master

The 629 has been discontinued and replaced by the 665. I believe it takes the same nose punch.

The difference between the FA 629 and the standard was the standard dropped at .452 and the FA at 454. Nice score.

I've given up on my 2c 665. It has been back to the factory twice and each one dropped under 452. I was going to send it back a third time to tell them to keep the *** but then I'd be out another 7+ in postage. I'll just order a NOE copy of the mold and be done with it as I shoulda went there in the first place.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Mike and Greg, guess it's all who answers the phone at Lyman. I have not heard of the 665 mold, but this moud is a bit heavier and GC design anyway. I do have a 424 and 649 TPs, so I know I could make do with what I have on hand, but it would be nice if the info was printed and/or stored by Lyman somewhere accessible to us. Thanks Bill in MA